A Man You Must Admire Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jared6180

Bronze

A Man You Must Admire

Post by jared6180 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:32 am

--LinkRemoved--

He may never get into Harvard, he may not be in the top 10% of his class, he may never work in BigLaw, he may never do many of the things that this forum thinks of as great, but her will follow and attempt to fulfill his dreams. I admire him for that.

Platinum

Re: A Man You Must Admire

Post by 071816 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 am

Buena historia chico.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 am

We're all wimps compared to this guy.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 am

PDaddy wrote:We're all wimps compared to this guy.
I could take him
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 am

"I've always loved to argue with people so law school just seemed natural"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am

thecilent wrote:"I've always loved to argue with people so law school just seemed natural"

Sounds like a gunner douche.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 am

jared6180 wrote:http://cjonline.com/news/2011-07-10/par ... nrV8nNuFl0

He may never get into Harvard, he may not be in the top 10% of his class, he may never work in BigLaw, he may never do many of the things that this forum thinks of as great, but her will follow and attempt to fulfill his dreams. I admire him for that.

I think your admiration is misplaced. The vast majority of students in law school
1) Will not get into harvard
2) will not work in biglaw
3) and will nto do many of the things this forum thinks of as great

instead they:

4) Follow their dreams against impossible odds.

In my opinion, this is like when you say: Oh that little kid with cancer is so brave! Is he? What does that even mean? He's just doing the same thing we would all be doing: trying to live his life and not die. I don't see what is particularly courageous about that.

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
In my opinion, this is like when you say: Oh that little kid with cancer is so brave! Is he? What does that even mean? He's just doing the same thing we would all be doing: trying to live his life and not die. I don't see what is particularly courageous about that.
If only the majority of the people in the United States were that resilient. We live in a welfare state that the gentleman in the picture could no doubt testify that it is much easier to be a parasite than be productive. The proof of that is in the number of people on social aid that have not earned it.

Comparing an adult who has the choice to lay back and let society take care of him, and a child whom has no choice but is likely pushed by his parents is outrageous. I hope nobody hear ever endures a life changing disability whether it be physical, intellectual, or emotional. If you do remember that no amount of bravery or valor will be enough to merit a smidgen of praise or even so much as a hand shake, because as Nicholasnickynic said, You are just doing the same thing we would all be doing: trying to live life and not die.

If only it was that simple.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 am

jared6180 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
If only the majority of the people in the United States were that resilient. We live in a welfare state that the gentleman in the picture could no doubt testify that it is much easier to be a parasite than be productive. The proof of that is in the number of people on social aid that have not earned it.

Comparing an adult who has the choice to lay back and let society take care of him, and a child whom has no choice but is likely pushed by his parents is outrageous. I hope nobody hear ever endures a life changing disability whether it be physical, intellectual, or emotional. If you do remember that no amount of bravery or valor will be enough to merit a smidgen of praise or even so much as a hand shake, because as Nicholasnickynic said, You are just doing the same thing we would all be doing: trying to live life and not die.

If only it was that simple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1QI4P0YqtM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

youarereadingthis

New

Post by youarereadingthis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:42 pm

It's a motivational story. I'm glad OP posted it.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:04 pm

This is a fine story of dudes overcoming odds, yada yada. But when you really look at it, you need full capabilities to really be a practicing attorney. In the work world, he may be more of a liability than an asset. Most of your time is spent reading from dry books of rules and regulations, replying to emails, talking to clients and those of the court, etc.; things that require full function of your sight and hearing.

Sure he may be overcoming his disability, but his ambition is misdirected. With a vague "I like to argue" mindset and this feel good BS of "I wanna work with people with disabilities" goal, some other path would be better founded for him, not a J.D. I'm not trying to knock on people with disabilities, it's hard as hell and they're people too, it's just that if his capabilities were to the point that he couldn't do work for the IRS, what makes law seem like a feasible course of action?

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

crossarmant wrote:This is a fine story of dudes overcoming odds, yada yada. But when you really look at it, you need full capabilities to really be a practicing attorney. In the work world, he may be more of a liability than an asset. Most of your time is spent reading from dry books of rules and regulations, replying to emails, talking to clients and those of the court, etc.; things that require full function of your sight and hearing.

Sure he may be overcoming his disability, but his ambition is misdirected. With a vague "I like to argue" mindset and this feel good BS of "I wanna work with people with disabilities" goal, some other path would be better founded for him, not a J.D. I'm not trying to knock on people with disabilities, it's hard as hell and they're people too, it's just that if his capabilities were to the point that he couldn't do work for the IRS, what makes law seem like a feasible course of action?
I do agree with this approach, my feelings of admiration are also checked by logic. I see him working hard and potentially getting through law school, however after that I see him being more a mouth piece, especially if his health deteriorates any further. He will probably not be able to do his own research, and his ability to respond to email will be diminished. His ability to practice law will be reduced to talking to clients, and that will be the end of it. That being said, with a perfect paralegal, it could work, but that will not help his love of arguing.

It is all inspirational, and 20th Century Fox could have a heyday with the story. But functionally, and logically you are right, it likely will not work out for the best...unless someone gets a book/screenplay about it done soon.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
thecilent wrote:"I've always loved to argue with people so law school just seemed natural"

Sounds like a gunner douche.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
jared6180 wrote:If only the majority of the people in the United States were that resilient. We live in a welfare state that the gentleman in the picture could no doubt testify that it is much easier to be a parasite than be productive. The proof of that is in the number of people on social aid that have not earned it.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
FTFY

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
jared6180 wrote:If only the majority of the people in the United States were that resilient. We live in a welfare state that the gentleman in the picture could no doubt testify that it is much easier to be a parasite than be productive. The proof of that is in the number of people on social aid that have not earned it.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
FTFY

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”