Burning out hard--what's the first thing to go? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Diet_Coke

New

Burning out hard--what's the first thing to go?

Post by Diet_Coke » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:40 pm

After a month of going HAM in the library and diligently working through every assignment and supplemental reading, I'm really starting to lose any and all motivation. I know everything which is at stake, and it doesn't really matter. I can't seem to get past the "But I don't want to!" thoughts in my head anymore.

Feel free to blow off some steam/offer practical advice on burnout here, but I also had a more specific question: My criminal law class has spent the entire semester this far going over the general policy/principles of punishment theory, actus reas, and now mens rea. To anyone who's been through it: would you advice cutting out the supplemental readings for these topics? I don't know how in depth an exam hypo requires us to discuss these, but I suspect it isn't as important as the elements of crimes which we'll cover later. I know this question sounds like I'm lazily asking "where can I slack off," and I guess I am, but something has GOT to give for the sake of my sanity. The supplemental readings for these topics have been the longest by far and I can hardly even bear to look at the pages anymore. Help!

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Burning out hard--what's the first thing to go?

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

wtf dude

You're a 1L? When did you start classes?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

crim = policy, and that boring shit = points on the exam

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Diet_Coke wrote:After a month of going HAM in the library and diligently working through every assignment and supplemental reading, I'm really starting to lose any and all motivation. I know everything which is at stake, and it doesn't really matter. I can't seem to get past the "But I don't want to!" thoughts in my head anymore.

Feel free to blow off some steam/offer practical advice on burnout here, but I also had a more specific question: My criminal law class has spent the entire semester this far going over the general policy/principles of punishment theory, actus reas, and now mens rea. To anyone who's been through it: would you advice cutting out the supplemental readings for these topics? I don't know how in depth an exam hypo requires us to discuss these, but I suspect it isn't as important as the elements of crimes which we'll cover later. I know this question sounds like I'm lazily asking "where can I slack off," and I guess I am, but something has GOT to give for the sake of my sanity. The supplemental readings for these topics have been the longest by far and I can hardly even bear to look at the pages anymore. Help!
in re: crim law: that stuff could be really important if your professor likes to include a policy question on his exam. Try to see his old ones to find out. Your method would have worked for my class, my exam was almost pure complex issue spotter that didn't really require knowledge of that stuff. I didn't cut any corners though because i was OCD and scurred of getting a surprise policy question or something.

And when i started to feel burned out last year, I would just read some of the depressing articles/threads on how law students are unemployed and buried under debt for life. That should get you going.

Looking back, the more i worked, the more 1L flew by. And the last thing you want is to lull by and look back and realize how lazy you were for that one short year (that means virtually everything).

When I would get really sick of reading, I would just outline (or add to them/ tweak them). Eventually I started outlining my outlines to get them as short as possible, all while listening to music or something. I wouldn't have to really think that much, but seeing/typing the stuff over and over again in a really organized way helped engrain things in my head. I barely glanced at any of my outlines during exams, which kept my issue spotting and word count way up. Basically even when i wasn't really studying, i was doing something productive.

Now, if someone can let me know how to find post-job-offer 2L motivation, that'd be just great.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:03 pm

That is pretty fast to be burning out.
I felt a little burning out around midterm season. I stopped studying in solitary places, and started studying at tables in the library where other people were sitting. That helped a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Whether you need to know the philosophy etc. in addition to the Black letter law for your exam will depend on your professor. Mine tested on both (a lot of time they are related). If the philosophy is not explicitly tested, you can usually intertwine it on your exam anyway, which can bump your grade above others. If they are spending a lot of time on it, there's probably a reason.

I would try only reading the supplements if you are confused, or think you are missing something. Focus on the assigned reading, go to class, make sure your notes are clear, maybe even start outlining. Then use the supplements to fill in the areas you are less comfortable with. I will occasionally look through one if I encounter a new concept that baffles me, but I usually don't spend much time with supplements until I have at least a good chunk of outline, usually November.

Since you are only a 1L, your burnout could spell trouble ahead. It only gets worse. . . Cautionary tale: pace yourself, especially at the beginning of the semester. It is a marathon, not a race.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Law school is a marathon, not a sprint. Maintain a modest pace and wait until you can see the finish line before you start going HAM.

Diet_Coke

New

Post by Diet_Coke » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:wtf dude

Around the beginning/middle of August.

EDIT: If you're asking because you remember the handful of times I posted here last year, I had to withdraw for medical reasons (see below) and restart this year.

tfer2222 wrote: in re: crim law: that stuff could be really important if your professor likes to include a policy question on his exam. Try to see his old ones to find out. Your method would have worked for my class, my exam was almost pure complex issue spotter that didn't really require knowledge of that stuff. I didn't cut any corners though because i was OCD and scurred of getting a surprise policy question or something.

And when i started to feel burned out last year, I would just read some of the depressing articles/threads on how law students are unemployed and buried under debt for life. That should get you going.

Looking back, the more i worked, the more 1L flew by. And the last thing you want is to lull by and look back and realize how lazy you were for that one short year (that means virtually everything).

When I would get really sick of reading, I would just outline (or add to them/ tweak them). Eventually I started outlining my outlines to get them as short as possible, all while listening to music or something. I wouldn't have to really think that much, but seeing/typing the stuff over and over again in a really organized way helped engrain things in my head. I barely glanced at any of my outlines during exams, which kept my issue spotting and word count way up. Basically even when i wasn't really studying, i was doing something productive.

Now, if someone can let me know how to find post-job-offer 2L motivation, that'd be just great.
Outlining as a break sounds like a pretty good idea. I think I'm going to start doing that. Funny you should mention OCD, since I actually have legit OCD which I receive treatment for. Maybe that's why I'm burning out so quickly and wanting to quit before I even get started. I do everything so thoroughly because I compulsively have to, so it's hard to start an assignment because I know how exhausting and time consuming it will be. Aggghhh! I also work (though obviously limited hours) which doesn't help. I'm a bartender too so the late hours can really fuck with a normal sleep schedule. I'm just tired all the time...

I'm going to see the TA during his office hours to try and get a little more insight into how policy oriented the professor is. It should help me determine the most efficient way to use my time. Kind of stupid that I didn't do that earlier...

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

In the words of Swizz Beats on the Power Remix..."CHILL!"

That's all there is to it. Treat it like a 9-5 with a few hours on the weekend. Most people who are in the library 24/7 are on FB or Gchat and are just wasting time. Devote good time to hard work, then go chill. Lordy, mighty. You might need to go sit on a mountain and get some perspective.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Diet_Coke wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:wtf dude

Around the beginning/middle of August.

EDIT: If you're asking because you remember the handful of times I posted here last year, I had to withdraw for medical reasons (see below) and restart this year.

tfer2222 wrote: in re: crim law: that stuff could be really important if your professor likes to include a policy question on his exam. Try to see his old ones to find out. Your method would have worked for my class, my exam was almost pure complex issue spotter that didn't really require knowledge of that stuff. I didn't cut any corners though because i was OCD and scurred of getting a surprise policy question or something.

Outlining as a break sounds like a pretty good idea. I think I'm going to start doing that. Funny you should mention OCD, since I actually have legit OCD which I receive treatment for. Maybe that's why I'm burning out so quickly and wanting to quit before I even get started. I do everything so thoroughly because I compulsively have to, so it's hard to start an assignment because I know how exhausting and time consuming it will be. Aggghhh! I also work (though obviously limited hours) which doesn't help. I'm a bartender too so the late hours can really fuck with a normal sleep schedule. I'm just tired all the time...

I'm going to see the TA during his office hours to try and get a little more insight into how policy oriented the professor is. It should help me determine the most efficient way to use my time. Kind of stupid that I didn't do that earlier...
I know once I figured out how my professors tested, I cut my casebook reading time in half (and never briefed cases in the first place), so the "assignments" never took me very long. I read enough to get by in class and then just relied on class/lecture to catch any really important aspects of the reading. I spent most of my time outlining and really memorizing every nuance of BLL.

Don't be too thorough. You have to be efficient and figure out whats essential for the exam or else you'll continue down this path of burning out and your outlines will be way too long and cumbersome to be useful.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Diet_Coke wrote: Around the beginning/middle of August.

No, just asking because I'm confused how it's even possible to get burnt out already. To expound on what people said about law school being a marathon not a sprint is right, although not a perfect analogy. IMO, the first third of the semester is a walk, the middle third is a jog, and the last third is an all-out sprint. You're doing the opposite of what you should be doing. Start working out and/or going out on the weekends with your classmates. Watch some movies or football games. The method by which you're approaching things now seems like it would nearly guarantee awful results.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:03 pm

eat drink fap nap

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

No, just asking because I'm confused how it's even possible to get burnt out already. To expound on what people said about law school being a marathon not a sprint is right, although not a perfect analogy. IMO, the first third of the semester is a walk, the middle third is a jog, and the last third is an all-out sprint. You're doing the opposite of what you should be doing. Start working out and/or going out on the weekends with your classmates. Watch some movies or football games. The method by which you're approaching things now seems like it would nearly guarantee awful results.
I have to respectfully disagree (somewhat). That seemed to be everyone's strategy. I found it extremely useful to really charge ahead early on, so that when things started getting crazy and everyone else decided to start sprinting, I was already ahead and had outlines done and almost completely memorized. When exams rolled around, I really didn't have much studying left to do other than practice exams, and it made for a really stress-free exam week. I guess you could say i was in a steady "run" the entire year, and took a cool jog through exams.

However, to each his own. Everyone is different. I knew that in order to stay relaxed during exams, I had to be way ahead and prepared at least a month in advance. Worked for me.

Helmholtz is right though, you do have to find at least some time to go out/work out/get drunk

Stop stressing so much about the "assignments". Worry about the exam, and only the exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:31 pm

You don't/shouldn't be reading supplements now unless you totally don't understand something. You can use those when you're outlining later in the semester, which is when they'll be more helpful and will just give you a clearer idea of the big picture.

Just do the reading and give yourself a couple of nights off. (1L I did my reading two days in advance which gave me Thursday nights and Friday nights free for the most part -- though I'd do some LRW research on Friday before going out). You shouldn't start putting things into overdrive until after Halloween at the earliest (though I'd recommend playing with outlining early when you have a little extra time, with a thought in mind that you're probably going to end up scrapping whatever you start with).

It really is a marathon and not a sprint. No good will come out of burning yourself out this early -- especially if you've had recent medical issues.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:35 pm

I'd think the first thing to go was case briefing, if you are briefing cases. Just get ones from the internet. That'll save you a decent amount of time.

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:06 pm

stick with it.

why do half of the avatars have guns?

Diet_Coke

New

Post by Diet_Coke » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:20 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree (somewhat). That seemed to be everyone's strategy. I found it extremely useful to really charge ahead early on, so that when things started getting crazy and everyone else decided to start sprinting, I was already ahead and had outlines done and almost completely memorized. When exams rolled around, I really didn't have much studying left to do other than practice exams, and it made for a really stress-free exam week. I guess you could say i was in a steady "run" the entire year, and took a cool jog through exams.

However, to each his own. Everyone is different. I knew that in order to stay relaxed during exams, I had to be way ahead and prepared at least a month in advance. Worked for me.

Helmholtz is right though, you do have to find at least some time to go out/work out/get drunk

Stop stressing so much about the "assignments". Worry about the exam, and only the exam.
That's kind of what I'm trying to do. Since I already had some experience under my belt before withdrawing last year, I know how hectic things can get later on. The first key to figuring things out is to know the best I can what will be on the exam. When I say "assignments" I mean what reading I feel is necessary in addition to the literally assigned casebook materials (supplements, etc). The problem is that already only a month in, I'm getting lazy and not caring. I just need to be more efficient.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:20 pm

keg411 wrote:You don't/shouldn't be reading supplements now unless you totally don't understand something. You can use those when you're outlining later in the semester, which is when they'll be more helpful and will just give you a clearer idea of the big picture.

Just do the reading and give yourself a couple of nights off. (1L I did my reading two days in advance which gave me Thursday nights and Friday nights free for the most part -- though I'd do some LRW research on Friday before going out). You shouldn't start putting things into overdrive until after Halloween at the earliest (though I'd recommend playing with outlining early when you have a little extra time, with a thought in mind that you're probably going to end up scrapping whatever you start with).

It really is a marathon and not a sprint. No good will come out of burning yourself out this early -- especially if you've had recent medical issues.
this confuses me

if you are not reading the supplements, doing hypos/practice problems, outlining, can't you give yourself every night off?

Diet_Coke

New

Post by Diet_Coke » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

keg411 wrote:You don't/shouldn't be reading supplements now unless you totally don't understand something. You can use those when you're outlining later in the semester, which is when they'll be more helpful and will just give you a clearer idea of the big picture.

Really? Maybe I'll cut down the supplement reading now. I was doing it from the start because it seemed to give me such a leg up. I felt that in class I knew where the professor was going with his line of questioning, and what answers he was looking for. Even though I never speak in class, I took it as a sign my understanding was on track to where it needed to be for that "A". But you're right, nothing good comes from burning out this early. It's a perpetual balancing act.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Diet_Coke wrote:That's kind of what I'm trying to do. Since I already had some experience under my belt before withdrawing last year, I know how hectic things can get later on. The first key to figuring things out is to know the best I can what will be on the exam. When I say "assignments" I mean what reading I feel is necessary in addition to the literally assigned casebook materials (supplements, etc). The problem is that already only a month in, I'm getting lazy and not caring. I just need to be more efficient.
i think the key is efficiency, brother.

i'm outlining, reading the casebooks, reading at least 2 different supplements per class, and working through hypos the TAs are kind enough to make and still finish with about 3-4 hours of free time everyday with 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

it helps me to have an activity in mind that i want to do that night. whether it be watch a movie or grab a beer, it helps me focus on getting the required work done.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

To be fair to OP, there are a bunch of ppl at my school that camp in the school library from open to close. My guess is everyone hears about the economy and guns hard for that big law job. Many at my school start to feel burned out as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:34 pm

dreakol wrote:

this confuses me

if you are not reading the supplements, doing hypos/practice problems, outlining, can't you give yourself every night off?
I read my casebooks and took notes up until later in the semester (first semester I would outline after each class, but I scrapped that second semester because I ended up starting over too many times).

I would look at the supplements if I was totally lost, but doing hypos and practice problems this early (for me, at least) seemed (and still seems) worthless. I found supplements the most helpful when outlining and would often use them mostly for that purpose. In fact, my worst 1L class was the one where I tried to read the supplement along with the casebook (and it was even a dumber idea since the supplement was totally unrelated to both the casebook AND my professor!).

I'm just trying to give OP some ideas to relieve burnout and still feel he/she is "doing the assignments". Some people cut out the case reading and just read summaries, but I dunno, I couldn't do that.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:20 pm

keg411 wrote:
dreakol wrote:

this confuses me

I read my casebooks and took notes up until later in the semester (first semester I would outline after each class, but I scrapped that second semester because I ended up starting over too many times).

I would look at the supplements if I was totally lost, but doing hypos and practice problems this early (for me, at least) seemed (and still seems) worthless. I found supplements the most helpful when outlining and would often use them mostly for that purpose. In fact, my worst 1L class was the one where I tried to read the supplement along with the casebook (and it was even a dumber idea since the supplement was totally unrelated to both the casebook AND my professor!).

I'm just trying to give OP some ideas to relieve burnout and still feel he/she is "doing the assignments". Some people cut out the case reading and just read summaries, but I dunno, I couldn't do that.

tyty

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:12 pm

How the hell do you burn out in the first month? Most classes barely teach you anything important in the first month in terms of what will actually show up on an exam.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Sounds like a gunner who didn't go get drunk during orientation.

Here is a solution. Go and get drunk this weekend-- profit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”