How is the MPRE Roughly Scored? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
I.P. Daly

Silver

How is the MPRE Roughly Scored?

Post by I.P. Daly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:56 pm

I understand that the MPRE uses a "scaled score" that involves a statistical process. However, I can't figure out approximately how many questions you have to answer correctly to get a score of at least 85.

I just took a practice MPRE (Kaplan) and got 35/50 (41/60) questions right (70%). I realize that I need improve, but I can't figure out where I'm at "score-wise" right now.

Does anyone have an idea as to how many questions you need to answer correctly to get a score of 85?

Jordan77

Bronze

Re: How is the MPRE Roughly Scored?

Post by Jordan77 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I can't answer with certainty, but I heard if you range from 30-35 you are generally safe to pass (85). That said, I believe they try to generally set the median around scoring a 100.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Jordan77 wrote:I can't answer with certainty, but I heard if you range from 30-35 you are generally safe to pass (85). That said, I believe they try to generally set the median around scoring a 100.
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

futurelawyer413

Bronze

Post by futurelawyer413 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 pm

30-35 out of 60 to get the 85? or 30-35 out of 50?

also, via another TLS post, rumors are the barbri PR book has some verbatim repeats as the actual exam, confirm/deny anyone?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:52 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:30-35 out of 60 to get the 85? or 30-35 out of 50?

also, via another TLS post, rumors are the barbri PR book has some verbatim repeats as the actual exam, confirm/deny anyone?
I got some more info from the BarBri course. I believe BarBri recommends scoring between 32-38 out of 60.

Here is the Nov. 2005 MPRE Scale:

Score/Percent Correct:

75-48%
77-50%
79-51%
80-52%
85-53%
86-54%

(Source: --LinkRemoved--)

So, in Nov. '05, it took a score of 32/60 to score an 85...

I don't think the MPRE is quite as easy as some folks suggest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yvonnella

Bronze

Post by Yvonnella » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:57 am

I took the MPRE in August, and I recognized certain questions on the exam as being virtually word-for-word from the Barbri PR book. Maybe they changed the names. One was on fees. I was glad to see it because the pattern of the question and the answer selections were an exact match. I answered that fee question easily because I'd seen it and read the explanation in Barbri. There were about four or five questions that I recognized like that. If you're studying for the MPRE, get the Barbri book. I got it only because I paid them $20 to lock in a bar prep course in a couple of years, but I do wish I had spent more time in Barbri and less in Kaplan. The Kaplan book was too easy to be useful.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:03 am

Can someone link me to some good MPRE prep stuff online somewhere? I am supposed to take this in 2 weeks and haven't done dick.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm

SBL wrote:Can someone link me to some good MPRE prep stuff online somewhere? I am supposed to take this in 2 weeks and haven't done dick.
Kaplan offers an online course that is free (it includes two exams)...

http://www.kaptest.com/Bar-Exam/Free-Pr ... ourse.html

Of course, as noted above:
Yvonnella wrote:I do wish I had spent more time in Barbri and less in Kaplan. The Kaplan book was too easy to be useful.

futurelawyer413

Bronze

Post by futurelawyer413 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 am

I.P. Daly wrote:

I got some more info from the BarBri course. I believe BarBri recommends scoring between 32-38 out of 60.

Here is the Nov. 2005 MPRE Scale:

Score/Percent Correct:

75-48%
77-50%
79-51%
80-52%
85-53%
86-54%

(Source: --LinkRemoved--)

So, in Nov. '05, it took a score of 32/60 to score an 85...

I don't think the MPRE is quite as easy as some folks suggest.
thank you, this helps!
Yvonnella wrote:

I took the MPRE in August, and I recognized certain questions on the exam as being virtually word-for-word from the Barbri PR book. Maybe they changed the names. One was on fees. I was glad to see it because the pattern of the question and the answer selections were an exact match. I answered that fee question easily because I'd seen it and read the explanation in Barbri. There were about four or five questions that I recognized like that. If you're studying for the MPRE, get the Barbri book. I got it only because I paid them $20 to lock in a bar prep course in a couple of years, but I do wish I had spent more time in Barbri and less in Kaplan. The Kaplan book was too easy to be useful.
thanks for the heads up on this!

I <3 TLS!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:02 am

I did the Barbri book and online quizzes. Passed the MPRE with flying colors.

The Barbri quizzes are harder than the real questions, so if you are doing 70% on Barbri you are doing okay. That's what I was getting roughly on mine. If I remember, I was getting like 60th percenticile scores on Barbri quizzes, and I did above the 100 median.

Just keep in mind that the MPRE is in fact trickier than it looks. The content is easy, but the way the test is is hard. All or most of the answer choices are correct, you have to select the BEST one (like the bar exam). This can be tricky, and when you get down to 2 choices, usually you pick the narrower choice or the more detailed choice (not the one that is very broad). And, don't get too ethical. The test is not testing you on what is the most ethical choice (which would be easy for most), but what the Professional Conduct Rules say you can or cannot do -- sometimes the Rules are not as ethical as you might think since sometimes the Rules allow some leeway. Hence, you have to study and know what the Rules say rather than relying on your ethics.

krishna_das

New

Post by krishna_das » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I found more up-to-date data on the raw score one might need to achieve a passing scaled score in his or her jurisdiction.

Per Susan M. Case, PhD (Director of Testing for the National Conference of Bar Examiners) in a March 2011 column entitled "Common Goals with Increasingly Similar Outcomes: Jurisdiction Approaches to Bar Exam Grading, Scoring, and Standards":
While there is some variability from one administration to the next, a score of 100 reflects a performance of approximately 68 percent correct. The current standards used by jurisdictions reflect lower performance levels: 85 is approximately 60 percent correct; 80 is approximately 58 percent correct; 75 is approximately 56 percent correct. The difference between an 85 and an 86, for example, is less than one question.
Source: http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... Column.pdf (See p. 3 "MPRE Passing Standard")

Raw | Scaled Score Conversion according to NCBEX's Director of Testing is approximately:
56% Raw (28/50) = 75 Scaled
58% Raw (29/50) = 80 Scaled
60% Raw (30/50) = 85 Scaled
68% Raw (34/50) = 100 Scaled

I guess that's why Barbri recommends the 32%-38% range to be safe because it probably puts a test taker above the scaled score of 86--the most any jurisdiction requires. I broke down the raw numbers out of 50 since 10 of the questions on the MPRE are experimental.

For those of us who studied with MPRE practice exams, this might give us an idea of how our raw percentages convert to scaled scores (approximately, at least). I hope this helps.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

dougroberts wrote:I did the Barbri book and online quizzes. Passed the MPRE with flying colors.

The Barbri quizzes are harder than the real questions, so if you are doing 70% on Barbri you are doing okay. That's what I was getting roughly on mine. If I remember, I was getting like 60th percenticile scores on Barbri quizzes, and I did above the 100 median.

Just keep in mind that the MPRE is in fact trickier than it looks. The content is easy, but the way the test is is hard. All or most of the answer choices are correct, you have to select the BEST one (like the bar exam). This can be tricky, and when you get down to 2 choices, usually you pick the narrower choice or the more detailed choice (not the one that is very broad). And, don't get too ethical. The test is not testing you on what is the most ethical choice (which would be easy for most), but what the Professional Conduct Rules say you can or cannot do -- sometimes the Rules are not as ethical as you might think since sometimes the Rules allow some leeway. Hence, you have to study and know what the Rules say rather than relying on your ethics.
This is not true at all. If anything, the opposite is true. I took the MPRE in August and the MPRE questions are centered on the grey area of the rules, not the main point of each rule, or something that is tailor-made for the application of that rule. For instance, the question on a BarBri test related to the law of advertising will be something like "I receive a huge settlement, all because of this lawyer, over a million dollars!" and the question on the MPRE will be something like this: "divorce is rough, but my lawyer made the process easier than I thought it would have been." There's a big difference between those two examples, so how you do on BarBri is not necessarily an indication of how you might do on the test.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
dougroberts wrote:I did the Barbri book and online quizzes. Passed the MPRE with flying colors.

This is not true at all. If anything, the opposite is true. I took the MPRE in August and the MPRE questions are centered on the grey area of the rules, not the main point of each rule, or something that is tailor-made for the application of that rule. For instance, the question on a BarBri test related to the law of advertising will be something like "I receive a huge settlement, all because of this lawyer, over a million dollars!" and the question on the MPRE will be something like this: "divorce is rough, but my lawyer made the process easier than I thought it would have been." There's a big difference between those two examples, so how you do on BarBri is not necessarily an indication of how you might do on the test.
:roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:48 pm

krishna_das wrote:I found more up-to-date data on the raw score one might need to achieve a passing scaled score in his or her jurisdiction.

Per Susan M. Case, PhD (Director of Testing for the National Conference of Bar Examiners) in a March 2011 column entitled "Common Goals with Increasingly Similar Outcomes: Jurisdiction Approaches to Bar Exam Grading, Scoring, and Standards":
While there is some variability from one administration to the next, a score of 100 reflects a performance of approximately 68 percent correct. The current standards used by jurisdictions reflect lower performance levels: 85 is approximately 60 percent correct; 80 is approximately 58 percent correct; 75 is approximately 56 percent correct. The difference between an 85 and an 86, for example, is less than one question.
Source: http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... Column.pdf (See p. 3 "MPRE Passing Standard")

Raw | Scaled Score Conversion according to NCBEX's Director of Testing is approximately:

I guess that's why Barbri recommends the 32%-38% range to be safe because it probably puts a test taker above the scaled score of 86--the most any jurisdiction requires. I broke down the raw numbers out of 50 since 10 of the questions on the MPRE are experimental.

For those of us who studied with MPRE practice exams, this might give us an idea of how our raw percentages convert to scaled scores (approximately, at least). I hope this helps.
Does this basically mean that if you got an 80, you were one question away from passing?

krishna_das

New

Post by krishna_das » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
krishna_das wrote:I found more up-to-date data on the raw score one might need to achieve a passing scaled score in his or her jurisdiction.

Does this basically mean that if you got an 80, you were one question away from passing?
Based on the raw scale conversion, it appears so. It seems like just one or two questions can make the difference between passing or failing in your jurisdiction. :shock:

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Bumping this. Is this information still accurate?

yung

Bronze

Post by yung » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 am

also would like to know

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:48 pm

waxecstatic wrote:

I just took the test and I thought the Barbri questions were pretty similar to the real deal.

quaskx

New

Post by quaskx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:17 pm

on the contrary, i took it this morning and thought the BarBri questions were harder.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:32 pm

I took it this morning and thought Barbri questions were as hard as the real test, but not harder or easier. I expect to get similar score from my practice range.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:28 pm

OhScalia wrote:I took it this morning and thought Barbri questions were as hard as the real test, but not harder or easier. I expect to get similar score from my practice range.
I agree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Bump for c/o 2015. Any indication if these conversion scales are/aren't applicable?

Kitakk

New

Post by Kitakk » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Just got my score from November 2014 exam, and I knew about how many I would get right. Rough numbers listed here still seem accurate (remember: this is anecdotal evidence).

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 pm

I am getting 77-79% right on Barbri, test is Saturday. I'm going to stop studying.

LawGuy321

Bronze

March 2015 Test

Post by LawGuy321 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 am

What did everyone think of the March 2015 exam? How do people think the curve will look?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”