'Nuance of law'- Seeking Clarification Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickman

Bronze

'Nuance of law'- Seeking Clarification

Post by brickman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm

When someone says that there is a nuance in the law, what specifically do they mean?

By way of example would certainly be helpful.

Please and thank you!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: 'Nuance of law'- Seeking Clarification

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:16 pm

The phrase is generally used to mean "subtle difference."

It is often used to describe the distinctions in common law from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

It can also be used when discussing subtle differences in complex statutes such as the tax code.

An example would be something like “when filing the 1040, the applicant did not understand the nuance of law that changed her tax credit status when she became an adoptive parent rather than a foster parent.”

We had a kid in my section that used the phrase "nuance of law" every chance he got. Initially, it was annoying. However, we found out that he was goofing off. It actually became funny.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 pm

I think what they mean is "I am likely a douchebag who has never gotten laid and should probably be punched squarely in the face."

Yeah, and what the poster above said.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 am

so it is not the way the law handles a seemingly significant fact in a way that differs from how the law normally treats a case?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 am

The term doesn't have any particularly specific or important meaning. People usualy use it when describing how to write a good exam or scholarly article (e.g., "an A paper will treat the nuances in the law"). It just refers to the more complex, subtle, or detailed aspects of the law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”