CR? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ap1987

New

CR?

Post by ap1987 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by ap1987 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Re: Class rank?

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm

really...?

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 pm

every person gets a book every year that shows everybody's grades from each class the previous year...

ap1987

New

Post by ap1987 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:57 pm

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:really...?
lol u mad bro?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:22 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:
lol u mad bro?
No, just somewhat dumbfounded.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm

ap1987 wrote:
So I'm assuming it's by anonymous number?
No! lol. Why do you assume they will tape up some list or something with everyone's ID number or name in order of rank? I have trouble believing any school would do such a thing. The procedure for finding out your ranking likely varies from school to school. I'd guess the most common methods are your rank just being included on your transcript in the spring or you having to request in writing your rank from the registrar. Read your student handbook.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

kinda offtopic question, but about curves. If everyone in a class with a multiple choice exam gets a 90 and above, does that mean if the lowest grade is 90 they will be getting a D?

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
ap1987 wrote:
No! lol. Why do you assume they will tape up some list or something with everyone's ID number or name in order of rank? I have trouble believing any school would do such a thing. The procedure for finding out your ranking likely varies from school to school. I'd guess the most common methods are your rank just being included on your transcript in the spring or you having to request in writing your rank from the registrar. Read your student handbook.
Nah, dude. It's like making the high school soccer team. You walk into school one day and there's a list posted of who ended up where.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ap1987

New

Post by ap1987 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 pm

ap1987 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
ap1987 wrote:
I honestly thought that's how it was lol, especially reading tls threads talking about classmates that are below median.

All my student handbook says we are ranked only at the end of the fall and spring semesters. It doesn't say any more than that.
If you are really curious and can't wait until the end of the semester to see if your rank appears on your transcript or not, then I suggest going to or emailing the registrar and asking (if you can't find the info not in the handbook on their website).

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:No! lol. Why do you assume they will tape up some list or something with everyone's ID number or name in order of rank? I have trouble believing any school would do such a thing.
I went to school overseas for a little while, and this is exactly what happened. At the end of the semester, we all crowded around a bulletin board in the halls of the university to find out our grades for the semester. Granted, this was not law school, and not in the US, but the idea isn't entirely far-fetched.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm

merc280 wrote:kinda offtopic question, but about curves. If everyone in a class with a multiple choice exam gets a 90 and above, does that mean if the lowest grade is 90 they will be getting a D?

Yes; however, I don't know of a single instance where something like that happened. Law school multiple choice can be brutal. In one of my classes, I got 13/20 in the multiple choice (better grade on essay) and I pulled an A (20% As and A-s). It is highly unlikely that someone will be curved down (not heard of it).

Class rank is anonymous. However, some information might be released. Students can kind of figure out where people fall (the top and bottom students) based on law review placements, CALI awards (available online and anyone from any school can see it from CALI site) academic probation classes, and information like Dean's List (if posted by school). For the most part grades are anonymous. But some of these awards/probations can make the top/bottom students easier to identify.

Each school works differently, but I don't know of a single school that lists people by name and class rank in a public setting (probably not legal to do either...but that is just a guess).

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:47 pm

if the curve stays the same year to year it shouldn't be hard to figure out a median...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”