does anyone else love law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eco

Bronze

Re: does anyone else love law school

Post by Eco » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 am

Just wait until you get raped by your first semester grades, realize your job prospects are now horrifyingly bad, you have loads of debt, and the rest of your law school career is panic and depression.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

What's not to enjoy? You sit in class and listen without doing anything particularly challenging, and you are meeting new people to socialize with. You probably didn't have a lot of other options prior to law school so things seemed depressing and scary without it. If you've done zero work so far this semester its not like anyone would notice. So life is a breeze, for now. I guarantee that 2/3 to 3/4 of law students won't love it so much by 2L OCI.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:42 am

If you still love law school during exam time then you are doing it wrong.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:51 am

i am really enjoying it... and findmyself reading ahead because i find the dcases to be interesting, almost like searching for a specific key to solve the puzzle and then figure out how it works. Thats really fun to me.

however, i know i am batshit crazy, so the fact that i enjoy doing this doesnt mean anythhing to the normals out there... when grades come back ill find out if im just a nutty looney toon or doing it right, but until then ill continue in my goofyways and hop and skip along with the same song blaring inbetween my ears thinking i might end up allright.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:06 pm

2L here. I love law school, but I also think that there is sort of a honeymoon period. I remember being excited and feeling important when I learned what promissory estoppel was, or how to research cases and statutes. It wears off a lot over time, to the extent that a lot of the 1L posts in this thread seem pretty naive. Still, law school is really great and I can't imagine doing anything else. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I love it. Been book-briefing, reading the E&E, hornbook, black letter outline and doing flashcards for every class, outlining as I go. About to sit down and take a practice exam. Be back in 3 hours.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I love it. Been book-briefing, reading the E&E, hornbook, black letter outline and doing flashcards for every class, outlining as I go. About to sit down and take a practice exam. Be back in 3 hours.
I know this is a joke, but it made me want to ask- what's the point of people using flashcards in law school? Don't we all take open book exams?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Heartford wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I love it. Been book-briefing, reading the E&E, hornbook, black letter outline and doing flashcards for every class, outlining as I go. About to sit down and take a practice exam. Be back in 3 hours.
I know this is a joke, but it made me want to ask- what's the point of people using flashcards in law school? Don't we all take open book exams?
I don't know, I don't have the energy to troll anymore. Too much effort...

I have to say, the honeymoon period is over. I like all my professors and all (that may very well change after I find out how they grade!), and class discussions are interesting when they're not hijacked by...certain people...Case reading isn't too bad, thus far the concepts aren't terribly difficult--promissory estoppel, diversity jurisdiction, intentional torts, principle of legality and actus reus. Thus far not difficult enough to require a sup, though that may soon change. But yeah, I'm not as thrilled about it as I used to be

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Heartford wrote:
That's a negative, Ghost Rider. I have a midterm and a final for CivPro, both of which are closed-book, and both of which are ~1/3 multiple choice. While my professor seems to really enjoy discussing the strategy behind various procedural moves, there's still a very strong push to just know the substance and application of each rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr.undroppable

New

Post by mr.undroppable » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 pm

OP in November: "Just pulled an all-nighter working on my outlines, my torts one is almost 70 pages long, lol! Does anyone know if we have to cite the cases on the exams? I've been skimming the bluebook to get ready for the law review write on contest (I've already picked out a note topic) so I thought maybe I'd get extra points on the exam for that. How many practice exams are you guys even doing? I got a bad grade on my memo in my legal writing class and I'm freaking out that my professors might not appreciate my superior writing abilities."

OP in February: "I studied sooo hard and raised my hand everyday. I still really love law school and understood the subjects better than most of my study group but they all got great grades and I am sub-median! What am I doing wrong? I emailed my favorite professor from first semester, who I really felt I made a personal connection with, to find out what I did wrong but she never even responded! She's taking the semester off or something, wtf is up with that? I'm still really excited about my professors for next semester though so I feel confident I can bring my grades up. Can't wait for the classroom discussions in conlaw!"

OP next August: "How important are grades for OCI? I mean, everyone knows law school grades are so arbitrary and are basically a typing contest, why do firms care so much? What color tie/shirt/shoes should I wear? What are you guys putting in your interests section on your resume? Should I write thank you notes to everyone I meet at the firm or just the hiring partners?"

OP next October: "Anybody else getting nothing from mass-mailing?"

OP during 2L summer: "OMG I had to struggle to find a job even though I'm working for free? I thought my lawl degree was going to open up doors for me? I still have high hopes for 3L OCI though, if that doesn't work I'll just network my way into a job like career services told me to do."

OP during 3L advising 0L/1Ls on this site: "Don't go to law school, it is a horrible financial decision."

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I love how some people are trying to put us law school lovers down.

In any case, just came in to give props to oldHouse or whoever wrote that nice thing that reminded me how much better law school is than my previous job...

...and to mention that at least one if not more of my exams (some profs haven't decided yet) are closed book. Ugh. I might love law school, but I ain't looking forward to memorizing all that BLL before the exam.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:05 pm

What's silly about the idea of loving law school is that you can learn all the crap you are learning on your own. You know that E&E book? Yeah you can read that on your own and figure it all out and even take the bar if you are in california. That you need to be surrounded by other fools doing the same thing shows a weakness.

CanuckObserver

New

Post by CanuckObserver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:16 pm

MrAnon wrote:What's silly about the idea of loving law school is that you can learn all the crap you are learning on your own. You know that E&E book? Yeah you can read that on your own and figure it all out and even take the bar if you are in california. That you need to be surrounded by other fools doing the same thing shows a weakness.
Exactly, I did not hate law school. it was a nice break from the career I did not enjoy so much. There is still a lot of naivety on this thread though, I think, as it definitely has its pain in the ass moments - like exam time and having all your "knowledge" in an area tested in one big freaking exam where you know there is going to be a curve.

However, I love practicing a LOT more. It is much, much better for me. I still get to spend most of my days learning and reading cases (I am in litigation) so the learning never ends, only now instead of writing theory papers and exams, I get to prepare and run actual cases. It is a lot better to actually put your knowledge to the test in the courtroom in front of practicing lawyers (and judges) over professors, most who have never practiced.

Law school was not bad, but I would not want to go back, ever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I once loved law school too. Then Contracts killed my father and raped my mother.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:21 pm

MrAnon wrote:What's silly about the idea of loving law school is that you can learn all the crap you are learning on your own. You know that E&E book? Yeah you can read that on your own and figure it all out and even take the bar if you are in california. That you need to be surrounded by other fools doing the same thing shows a weakness.
Just to clarify, a weakness in what/whom? Are you making a general observation of the system of legal education, or of students who go to law school? And why are all law students fools? Or are only some of these law students fools?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Passing the bar and getting a legal job are not the same thing.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Heartford wrote:
No. My Con Law is closed book and my civpro/torts are limited open book (can only bring in assigned textbooks)

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm

daesonesb wrote:If you still love law school during exam time then you are doing it wrong.
Or doing it really really right.

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Heartford wrote:

I don't have a single open-book exam. I'm really more upset about having to write some of them though; I type way faster than I can write.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Heartford wrote:

I don't have a single open-book exam. I'm really more upset about having to write some of them though; I type way faster than I can write.
You have...civ pro...closed book?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Indeed, closed-book and handwritten.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:23 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
Heartford wrote:

You have...civ pro...closed book?
I have Civ Pro closed, also.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:25 pm

That's just inhumane. Good luck and best wishes.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Knuckles wrote:Indeed, closed-book and handwritten.
That just ain't right. At least I am allowed to type my closed book/closed note tests.... I feel for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”