First Week of Torts (Reflection thereof) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: First Week of Torts (Reflection thereof)

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:56 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wait, you covered battery, assault, and false imprisonment in a week?

Send your professor over to my school. That was about 7 weeks for us.
I was also confused by that, we're spending a bit more than a week on battery.

You should be able to reasonably cover all the intentional torts in a couple of weeks.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wait, you covered battery, assault, and false imprisonment in a week?

Send your professor over to my school. That was about 7 weeks for us.
I was also confused by that, we're spending a bit more than a week on battery.

You should be able to reasonably cover all the intentional torts in a couple of weeks.
Our prof said we cover intentional torts in 2 days at the very end of class and that he designed it that way on purpose. Different profs, different styles and opinions on what's important, I guess. Well, no, obviously.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Tanicius wrote:Our prof said we cover intentional torts in 2 days at the very end of class and that he designed it that way on purpose. Different profs, different styles and opinions on what's important, I guess. Well, no, obviously.

Sure. But I guess my point is that they are not difficult and should not take a large amount of class time.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 pm

i do not know what leews or pls do for you people.

There are ambiguities and exceptions, deal with it. When you get to an exam, concisely write out what you're struggling with, why you're struggling with it, maybe a distinction from a case you read in class if there's a similar issue present, make your conclusion and explain why you did so.

it's not that hard.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:17 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
shoeshine wrote:It it good or bad that I have done the same if not more prep than the op and feel the exact opposite after my first couple days?

No confidence here. Just fear and self-loathing.
I flip flop by the hour between the two extremes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:26 pm

More than any other class, torts is ALL about the elements. Just stick to the black letter law and don't get bogged down by the details of the cases you're reading.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
blendpose wrote: BUT, what I was trying to say-which I will attempt more clearly- is that exam time the teacher doesn't want a basic definition of something, right? The P may have very will hit D, but don't we need to exam all of the nuances in order to accumulate more points? That was my focus.
There aren't a lot of nuances when someone gets hit.
Sure there are. For example, if the OP, in his hometown state of New Jersey, went out one evening and proceeded to fist pump to his favorite techno song, and another individual (who was drunk) stumbled into the dancing OP and injured his head on the OP's fist, there's plenty of important nuance there...

In fact, if OP injured his fist on the negligent(?) D's head, the OP might have a battery claim against D.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:25 pm

introversional wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
blendpose wrote:

In fact, if OP injured his fist on the negligent(?) D's head, the OP might have a battery claim against D.
Battery is an intentional tort.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

introversional wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
blendpose wrote: BUT, what I was trying to say-which I will attempt more clearly- is that exam time the teacher doesn't want a basic definition of something, right? The P may have very will hit D, but don't we need to exam all of the nuances in order to accumulate more points? That was my focus.
Sure there are. For example, if the OP, in his hometown state of New Jersey, went out one evening and proceeded to fist pump to his favorite techno song, and another individual (who was drunk) stumbled into the dancing OP and injured his head on the OP's fist, there's plenty of important nuance there...

There's no intent there, the discussion was about intentional torts. So no, your hypo fails.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Lol these 1L's gotta study a bit more...

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:40 pm

beach_terror wrote:
introversional wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

There's no intent there, the discussion was about intentional torts. So no, your hypo fails.
I guess it depends on how narrowly you read intent. You might argue fault to give you intent but, I doubt there would be a battery claim because that sort of shit is par for the course at a club.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Naked Dude wrote: I guess it depends on how narrowly you read intent. You might argue fault to give you intent but, I doubt there would be a battery claim because that sort of shit is par for the course at a club.
No, hit the books. Even thinking intentional torts there is a bad sign.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
introversional wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

You can be negligently wrongful, not only intentionally wrongful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 pm

LOL at the Jersey Shore hypo. That definitely fails as an example of an intentional tort.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
I guess it depends on how narrowly you read intent. You might argue fault to give you intent but, I doubt there would be a battery claim because that sort of shit is par for the course at a club.
No. This is wasted discussion on an exam since its so blatantly and clearly not an intentional tort. Wasting a moment discussing it would just show an inability to say "it is X, not Y", which is a valuable skill. On torts exams (and exams in general in law school), being able to say "well, it isn't so and so, thus I don't need to analyze it as such" is just as valuable as identifying what the situation actually is.
Last edited by kaiser on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm

How can you categorically state that there is no intent? Maybe the guy is really pissed off and decides he wants to hit someone.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Naked Dude wrote:How can you categorically state that there is no intent? Maybe the guy is really pissed off and decides he wants to hit someone.
Yes, making up facts that aren't there is a great idea when trying to solve an exam problem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Naked Dude wrote:How can you categorically state that there is no intent? Maybe the guy is really pissed off and decides he wants to hit someone.
Because he was dancing, not fighting...

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Naked Dude you are kind of embarrassing yourself.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Yes, making up facts that aren't there is a great idea when trying to solve an exam problem.
Arguendo!

But seriously, this might be the most annoying topic I've seen on TLS in months.

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 pm

my torts isn't until spring...hopefully that means less craziness like this... :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:49 pm

shoeshine wrote:Naked Dude you are kind of embarrassing yourself.
In all fairness, he is a week or 2 into school, so cut him some slack. I'm sure I tried making some flimsy arguments at first, yet I turned it around and did very well in torts.

introversional

Bronze

Post by introversional » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm

chimp wrote:
We're getting off point here... The dancing guy wanted to hit the air above his head, that's all. The drunken heathen that ran into the dancer's first with his head is the potential tortfeasor here. If we show fault/negligence (say he was on E along with his bottle of jager) and stumbled into the innocent dancer thereby hurting dancer's first with his sweaty head... we have a case, no?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm

LOL

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

introversional wrote:
chimp wrote:
We're getting off point here... The dancing guy wanted to hit the air above his head, that's all. The drunken heathen that ran into the dancer's first with his head is the potential tortfeasor here. If we show fault/negligence (say he was on E along with his bottle of jager) and stumbled into the innocent dancer thereby hurting dancer's first with his sweaty head... we have a case, no?
but what about the whole substantial certainty bit? the nightclub location covers that i guess. whatever man i'm giving legal advice or nothing, feel free to correct me and all. enjoy it if you must, no need to be hostile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”