Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Least favorite or predictions

Torts
9%
Property
10%
Contracts
20%
CivPro
23%
ConLaw
7%
CrimLaw
6%
LRW
25%

Total votes: 235

sidhesadie

Bronze

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Post by sidhesadie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:00 pm

It's so interesting to read everyone's experiences (even if we are mostly 1L's.)

I think the subject matter of con law is potentially my least favorite, but our prof is so awesome that I fail to see how it could ever become my least favorite class. The closed book/closed note exam might change my mind at the end though.
I don't have property or crim till next semester. I think property definitely has potential to be my least favorite overall.
we do have 4 substantive classes plus lrw both semesters.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm

crossarmant wrote:Civ Pro is definitely my least favorite. The other courses are straight forward and you're learning substantive issues to topics, and this is like reading the rule book. It's boring and all the cases never actually address the issue of the case, only the creation of boundary lines and levels of power. Very boring and much harder to understand than Contracts or Torts.
I agree completely. How can anyone find criminal law boring? It's the study of real people, in real life situations, whose fate is being decided, and the cases themselves are very interesting. The laws and theories that complement the cases are quite compelling. Some people may not like contracts because the material might be kinda dry, but its a substantive law class built upon foundations of law, but civ pro....not so much

I find civil procedure very confusing, and inherently uninteresting since it is basically centered on a more administrative aspect of law...gotta go with civ pro.

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Have to go with Civ Pro. Jesus, the professor assigns 20 pages to read, then we cover 2 because he's decided to play "imaginary court" and forces some girl to waste half a ream of paper filing fake complaints and motions. Literally spent an entire class passing a paper back and forth describing the pre-trial process.

LRW has to be my favorite, because the professor is smoking hot. It's like a requirement.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Civpro is getting worse and worse. It is so boring I don't understand how people even pay enough attention to ask questions. LWR is a lot of work, but I actually liked figuring out how to argue the case in our assigned memo.

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Sorry to break the Civ Pro trend, but contract is coming up on me as the least favorite class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:Civpro is getting worse and worse. It is so boring I don't understand how people even pay enough attention to ask questions. LWR is a lot of work, but I actually liked figuring out how to argue the case in our assigned memo.
I'll take a lecture on discovery any day over one on Bluebook citation formats. When my professor started to talk about double spacing in citations I was ready to fall asleep.

If LWR wasn't so small I would just browse the internet all class...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:55 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Civpro is getting worse and worse. It is so boring I don't understand how people even pay enough attention to ask questions. LWR is a lot of work, but I actually liked figuring out how to argue the case in our assigned memo.
I'll take a lecture on discovery any day over one on Bluebook citation formats. When my professor started to talk about double spacing in citations I was ready to fall asleep.

If LWR wasn't so small I would just browse the internet all class...
Ohh I guess that eliminates the chance that you're in my LWR class - we aren't even allowed laptops. Discovery today wasn't that bad, last week was really killer though, I spent the entire class zoned out online.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Civ Pro is great! I have no idea where you're finding these people voting against it.

I'd hate our version of LWR if it was graded, but it's not. So now it's just crazy useful.

The only class I can have a problem with at this point is Torts, because I don't have it until next semester, making the interpretation of some of the Civ Pro and Contracts material more sketchy. Beyond that, our section has good karma apparently, as all our professors are pretty great. Given the amount of money I'm spending, the administration has made good relative to some of what I'm hearing here.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:48 pm

reading about easements and covenants makes my eyes bleed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:03 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:reading about easements and covenants makes my eyes bleed
We've had exactly one interesting property class, and that was on adverse possession.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 am

I thought I hated civpro because the material was dry, but now i realize it was simply because I didn't immediately get how it all fit. After freer I think ill like it just fine.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Lasers wrote:I thought I hated civpro because the material was dry, but now i realize it was simply because I didn't immediately get how it all fit. After freer I think ill like it just fine.
I'm starting to feel the same way. Once we hit a part about "Why Personal Jurisdiction Matters" it seemed to put everything back into perspective and it makes a lot more sense. Contracts is quickly becoming a much more annoying class though... Well, LWR is the most annoying because it only meets once a week and is the redheaded step child of the classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”