ITT, you list reasons why 3L is useful for people w/ offers Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

ITT, you list reasons why 3L is useful for people w/ offers

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:53 pm

There are none.

/thread

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Re: ITT, you list reasons why 3L is useful for people w/ offers

Post by SeymourShowz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm

graduation?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm sure courses like Law and Literature will make me a much better lawyer.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:There are none.

/thread
If you go to a school that allows you to take classes at other graduate programs, you can learn some awesome stuff that will make you happy/help you prepare for your practice.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

/thread
If you go to a school that allows you to take classes at other graduate programs, you can learn some awesome stuff that will make you happy/help you prepare for your practice.
Time would be better spent practicing. Less debt, more on point learning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 pm

/thread
Do you mean in a "we should get rid of 3L and move to a different model" way, or a "why should I not skip all of my classes and put in just enough work to barely graduate" way?

If the former, there are none at all. 3L is retarded.

If the latter:

1.) Firms that will no-offer based on 2L grades can yank offers based on 3L grades. Not many firms in this category, but make sure yours isn't one.
2.) Having impressive resume lines will make your life somewhat easier if you're going to a free-market firm: everyone I have talked to at Kirkland agrees with that. This applies only early in your career, and it's not as important as the quality of the work you did over the summer, but it still matters.
3.) Grades still matter if you try to lateral out relatively early in your career.
4.) Grades still matters if you decide to try to enter the alumni clerking market, etc. etc.
5.) If you're clerking, and want to try to "trade-up" in firms post-clerkship, your 3L grades will matter for that.

I also think that having certain resume lines might nominally improve partnership chances, in that the firm thinks it might make your firm bio page more attractive to prospective business. The impact here would be *incredibly* slight, though.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

/thread
Do you mean in a "we should get rid of 3L and move to a different model" way, or a "why should I not skip all of my classes and put in just enough work to barely graduate" way?

If the latter:

1.) Firms that will no-offer based on 2L grades can yank offers based on 3L grades. Not many firms in this category, but make sure yours isn't one.
2.) Having impressive resume lines will make your life somewhat easier if you're going to a free-market firm: everyone I have talked to at Kirkland agrees with that. This applies only early in your career, and it's not as important as the quality of the work you did over the summer, but it still matters.
3.) Grades still matter if you try to lateral out relatively early in your career.
4.) Grades still matters if you decide to try to enter the alumni clerking market, etc. etc.
5.) If you're clerking, and want to try to "trade-up" in firms post-clerkship, your 3L grades will matter for that.

I also think that having certain resume lines might nominally improve partnership chances, in that the firm thinks it might make your firm bio page more attractive to prospective business. The impact here would be *incredibly* slight, though.
Wrt #3, I assume firms that you lateral to have grade cutoffs similar to those used for hiring 2L SAs, is this right? If so, I would think a top 25% person at a T10 doesn't have much to worry about. I'm not counting on lateraling to W&C, Covington, SullCrom, Susman, or Cravath. Also, UVA doesn't give latin honors (although "Order of the Coif" is given to top 10% people, but this would be a longshot for me). I'm not planning on clerking. I seriously doubt the veracity of your final point because I've heard from several partners that grades don't matter by the time you've worked for 8-10 years. I think I'll be just fine wrt #2 because of my pre-law work experience. Finally, I'm not at a firm like those #1 would apply to.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

/thread

If the latter:

Wrt #3, I assume firms that you lateral to have grade cutoffs similar to those used for hiring 2L SAs, is this right? If so, I would think a top 25% person at a T10 doesn't have much to worry about. I'm not counting on lateraling to W&C, Covington, SullCrom, Susman, or Cravath. Also, UVA doesn't give latin honors (although "Order of the Coif" is given to top 10% people, but this would be a longshot for me). I'm not planning on clerking. I seriously doubt the veracity of your final point because I've heard from several partners that grades don't matter by the time you've worked for 8-10 years. I think I'll be just fine wrt #2 because of my pre-law work experience. Finally, I'm not at a firm like those #1 would apply to.
Not just talking firm laterals WRT #2, talking non-firm options.

I mean, these are all minor points. 3L grades really don't matter for very much- they're just not entirely valueless. Resume lines never hurt anyone. The combination of no honors + out of coif range does make it pretty tough to care, though.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 pm

ah im taking a bunch of classes im interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Um, one more year of being a student instead of a member of the workforce.

Party time.

/thread

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:08 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Um, one more year of being a student instead of a member of the workforce.

Party time.

/thread
Unless you don't have loans, this is an unmitigated terrible thing.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:09 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Um, one more year of being a student instead of a member of the workforce.

Party time.

/thread
Unless you don't have loans, this is an unmitigated terrible thing.
I have loans. I was being cheeky.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”