OMG- What if I actually fail out!!! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
helpOMG

New

OMG- What if I actually fail out!!!

Post by helpOMG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 pm

I am so embarrassed with this that I actually created a new username just for this post. Please help me out!!!

Ok, so it's only the first week of law school, but I am already a bit worried.

Basically I don't come from a legal, english, history undergrad background. I am not used to reading a lot (or any) cases etc. I was mostly a math person. So I am already worried b/c many of my fellow students are already seeing issue from the readings and class, that I seem to have COMPLETELY missed. It is as if I didn't even do the readings.

Speaking of readings, they are extremely tough and I can barely understand 50% of what they are talking about. I go to an average at best law school, so this is really freaking me out.

My main issue is that even when I hear terms that seem important, I almost can't get my mind around them. It is as if the prof/book just said some big word that I don't get and that's it.

I am seriously contemplating dropping out and getting my refund before the deadline expires.

Please help. What are some ways that I can begin to understand the material better? Everyone says E&E will explain it in plain terms? Any other suggestions.

PinkCow

Silver

Re: OMG- What if I actually fail out!!!

Post by PinkCow » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Sounds to me like you have a case of 1Litus. It should pass in about 9 months. Guarantee most everyone is dumber than you think.

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:28 pm

You need to chill out. Most people have no clue what's going on the first few weeks of class. And I have found that those who act like they do are often full of shit. Stay focused and motivated. You can do it!

helpOMG

New

Post by helpOMG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:30 pm

I know that I am just freaking out. I am pretty smart, went to a fantastic undergrad, had a hard major, etc.

But I was never the type of person that wanted to be a lawyer from day 1, and never took legal classes in undergrad, and all the sudden ppl seem a lot smarter than me and they seem to be picking up on things that are as if I never even attended class AND NOW I AM FREAKING OUT!!!

All of my law school friends keep saying things like "when it comes to tests, EVERYONE will know the law," but I am know at the sad state of wondering if I might actually be that one person that not only doesn't know how to apply it, but might be the one that says something like "when did we learn that?"

Suggestions??????

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Dude, like others are saying: just chill out. I am just starting law school too, and it is definitely difficult and intimidating already. But EVERYONE feels the same way. Don't let anyone fool you. No one knows anything yet. Even people that have done 0L prep, or have legal experience, do not know anything. It is a completely level playing field. Everyone is lost and scared, and some just put up a front...

If there is stuff in your cases that you don't understand, consult one or more of the many supplements at your disposal (buy them, or go to the library). This is the second decade of the 21st century, and we have this thing called the internet... Google things you don't understand. Use all the resources at your disposal to understand stuff that confuses you. Maybe the people in your classes that sound like they are smart consulted some outside source for clarification on a tough concept. Also, talk to (successful) upper classmen for advice, and get their outlines for your profs, which can provide valuable guidance in understanding the big picture of where your classes are going.

So, don't give up. Just stay at it, put in the effort to understand everything, use anything and everything at your disposal to gain that understanding, and hopefully you'll feel better about things in a couple weeks when everything isn't entirely foreign.

Edited for clarity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Have a glass or two whenever you start thinking about freaking out like this again.

Rinse and repeat

You're welcome

24secure

New

Post by 24secure » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 pm

I know I was in their position a couple years ago, but as a 3L, watching 1Ls is pretty entertaining.

The first year is tough but most people do okay. The days only get tougher from here though.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Its called "hitting the wall", although it seems to happen to people way later in the semester. It just takes time, you are pretty much learning a new language, and a different way of thinking. If you are confused about something, go to office hours. That's why professors have them. Plus its always a good idea to get to know your profs regardless for letters of recommendation, etc. later on.

BU2013

New

Post by BU2013 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Congrats, you will finish in the top 10%.

The confident fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Fail you? And lose your valuable tuition money?

Hardly.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 pm

helpOMG wrote:I am so embarrassed with this that I actually created a new username just for this post.
Don't alt. Unauthorized alting gets you banned and your thread locked. HTH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”