3rd or 4th edition of Chemerinsky's treatise on Con Law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

Bronze

3rd or 4th edition of Chemerinsky's treatise on Con Law

Post by onthecusp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Wondering if there is any significant difference between the two editions, other than the 48.00 difference in price between the two on Amazon. The advertised updates of the fourth edition don't seem great enough to justify the expense.

3rd edition - 9.00 used
4th edition 57.00 used

typ3

Silver

Re: 3rd or 4th edition of Chemerinsky's treatise on Con Law

Post by typ3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 am

onthecusp wrote:Wondering if there is any significant difference between the two editions, other than the 48.00 difference in price between the two on Amazon. The advertised updates of the fourth edition don't seem great enough to justify the expense.

3rd edition - 9.00 used
4th edition 57.00 used
Slightly updated case law. Nothing grade breaking. I would always opt for the most recent version, but it's not going to make a huge difference. Splitting hairs really.

roofles

New

Post by roofles » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:53 am

I'm guessing your prof isn't obsessing over buying the new version, why should you? If they present a different view in class, use that for the exam. If you have a question about a borderline difference just email them imo.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

roofles wrote:I'm guessing your prof isn't obsessing over buying the new version, why should you? If they present a different view in class, use that for the exam. If you have a question about a borderline difference just email them imo.
I don't think the professor cares about whether his students are buying the most recent supplement...

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by barrydukakis on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 am

Bumping because I am looking at getting this book for Con Law next semester. Now that the 4th edition has been out for a little longer I thought more people might have had an opportunity to compare them and formulate opinions on whether it is worth paying the extra $$ for the newer edition. Thanks!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:29 pm

HWS08 wrote:Bumping because I am looking at getting this book for Con Law next semester. Now that the 4th edition has been out for a little longer I thought more people might have had an opportunity to compare them and formulate opinions on whether it is worth paying the extra $$ for the newer edition. Thanks!
Last semester, my Con Law class covered multiple cases not cited in the older edition. However, the vast majority of the subject matter has not changed.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 am

Most recent edition has more of the executive power stuff and the GWOT Detainee line of cases. I think maybe some newer commerce clause stuff, too. I bought the 3rd edition originally and ended up buying the 4th because there was a gap for my class. Do with that as you will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”