coping with depression before law school starts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossarmant

Silver

Re: coping with depression before law school starts

Post by crossarmant » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:20 pm

I just went through orientation and the health services rep talked at length about how important it is for students to seek professional help when it is needed. As someone who battled with major depression throughout my entire undergrad, I know that it can wreak havoc upon your grades and it is absolutely terrible if you do not acknowledge it. I agree with some of the other posters that CBT and therapy work significantly better than medication; however you have to go into therapy with the mindset that you will fix this issue.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 pm

See some one and talk it out. You had some circumstances that made you miserable and you need some time to get over it. Most schools offer some form of free mental health service also so you should contact your campus health center and find out some more info.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:10 am

OP:

It's very common for lawyers and law students to be depressed. It will not be an issue for you on Character & Fitness.

As far as getting help goes, my attitude has always been that you do what you gotta do to get by. The posters who emphasized the importance of 1L grades were correct; you do need to get the best results you can this year. If that means therapy, do therapy. If that means medication, well, I say do that as well.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:31 pm

From our C & F examiner lecture at orientation, the only thing they really care about is if you have bipolar/schizophrenia or any other SERIOUS psychiatric disorder. She even said that for bipolar, as long as you are being treated or are in a good state (which they ask the person who treats you) then it's not a big deal. She said a lot of people have it, and it's more common than we think. The only thing that could really be a big issue are a) if your psychiatrist thinks you are mentally unfit or b) you are self medicating with substances which would indicate you have a substance abuse problem. It doesn't sound like any of those apply to your situation.

Megan170

New

Post by Megan170 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:35 pm

brose wrote:From our C & F examiner lecture at orientation, the only thing they really care about is if you have bipolar/schizophrenia or any other SERIOUS psychiatric disorder. She even said that for bipolar, as long as you are being treated or are in a good state (which they ask the person who treats you) then it's not a big deal. She said a lot of people have it, and it's more common than we think. The only thing that could really be a big issue are a) if your psychiatrist thinks you are mentally unfit or b) you are self medicating with substances which would indicate you have a substance abuse problem. It doesn't sound like any of those apply to your situation.
Just to clarify, most clinical depression is a type of bipolar. It may not be the type that gets the more extreme highs and lows (the manic variety) but most tends to be bipolar. Putting "even" before bipolar is an interesting way to phrase things. Also, psychiatric disorders are pretty serious, like most forms of cancer. Interestingly, cancer is actually more environmentally influenced than psychiatric disorders, yet the same stigma is not there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Megan170

New

Post by Megan170 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm

MTal wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Look - I'm not going to say this again. Subsequent off-topic posts in this thread will result in a vacation from TLS.
Yeah, you guys better do what NightRunner says! He is one tough badass!
LoL, yeah, he would appear to be. I think we're still talking about depression, though, and coping with it. Depression is chronic, if it's clinical, so for most folks it doesn't just go away, only occur at one time in one's life (hence, I'd ask for a little leeway on the "before" part of this post title :-))

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Megan170 wrote:
MTal wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Look - I'm not going to say this again. Subsequent off-topic posts in this thread will result in a vacation from TLS.
Yeah, you guys better do what NightRunner says! He is one tough badass!
LoL, yeah, he would appear to be.
Both tempbanned. When a mod says stay on-topic, stay on-topic. Doesn't matter which of us it is.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Megan170 wrote:Also, psychiatric disorders are pretty serious, like most forms of cancer. Interestingly, cancer is actually more environmentally influenced than psychiatric disorders, yet the same stigma is not there.
(1) What do you mean when you say "psychiatric disorder"?
(2) What do you mean when you say "environmentally influenced"?
(3) What do you mean when you say "pretty serious"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:20 pm

When I was thinking about applying to Navy OCS, I was absolutely terrified of seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist for fear of it torpedoing my chances of being selected. I know a couple of cops and veterans who have either serious PTSD or struggles with depression, and are absolutely terrified of seeking help for fear of the stigma (in many pds, having psych stuff on your record is a black spot). I don't think you have to worry nearly as much with the ABA as with the military or police departments. However, it might be in your best interest to contact/read up on the ABA's Commission on Mental and Physical Disability Law--http://www.americanbar.org/groups/publi ... ut_us.html There are people you can contact with concerns you have, as well as a listserve.

Bottom line though is that your mental health is, at least in your own personal universe, one of if not the most important things to take care of. Your mental health is paramount. If you feel like you need help you probably do.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 pm

johnnyutah wrote:OP:

It's very common for lawyers and law students to be depressed. It will not be an issue for you on Character & Fitness.

As far as getting help goes, my attitude has always been that you do what you gotta do to get by. The posters who emphasized the importance of 1L grades were correct; you do need to get the best results you can this year. If that means therapy, do therapy. If that means medication, well, I say do that as well.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck!
I highly recommend going to a psychiatrist and trying to figure out whether or not your depression is being exacerbated by a chemical imbalance. Therapy is usually TCR, but like johnny said, don't be afraid to look into medication.

I had a pretty rough summer myself (long/personal story... too long/personal for TLS), but I managed to pick myself up without therapy (although I am on medication). PM me if you're curious as to what worked for me--it may work for you too.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Megan170 wrote:
brose wrote:From our C & F examiner lecture at orientation, the only thing they really care about is if you have bipolar/schizophrenia or any other SERIOUS psychiatric disorder. She even said that for bipolar, as long as you are being treated or are in a good state (which they ask the person who treats you) then it's not a big deal. She said a lot of people have it, and it's more common than we think. The only thing that could really be a big issue are a) if your psychiatrist thinks you are mentally unfit or b) you are self medicating with substances which would indicate you have a substance abuse problem. It doesn't sound like any of those apply to your situation.
Just to clarify, most clinical depression is a type of bipolar. It may not be the type that gets the more extreme highs and lows (the manic variety) but most tends to be bipolar. Putting "even" before bipolar is an interesting way to phrase things. Also, psychiatric disorders are pretty serious, like most forms of cancer. Interestingly, cancer is actually more environmentally influenced than psychiatric disorders, yet the same stigma is not there.
This is incorrect.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:
Megan170 wrote:
This is incorrect.
mos def incorrect

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:
Megan170 wrote:
This is incorrect.
IIRC, manic depressive disorder = bipolar disorder according to the DSM.

ETA: I should say, one manifestation of bipolar disorder is a manic depressive disorder.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 pm

NZA wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:
Megan170 wrote:[
This is incorrect.

ETA: I should say, one manifestation of bipolar disorder is a manic depressive disorder.
Right. You can't have bipolar without the manic part. I think Megan might be confusing "manic" in this sense with "not depressed," which is a pretty major difference. In fact, I'd think most clinical depression is quite separate from bipolar.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm

NZA wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:
Megan170 wrote:Just to clarify, most clinical depression is a type of bipolar.
This is incorrect.

This may be true but it's beside the point. It is incorrect to say that most clinical depression cases are either manic depressive or exhibiting some other form of bipolar disorder. As WebMD, the Mayo Clinic, and other websites make clear, "clinical depression" typically refers to major depression. Aside from major depression, individuals are regularly diagnosed with chronic depression or dysthymia, seasonal depression or SAD, atypical depression, or other depressive disorders that traditionally lack manic episodes.

Here, from NIMH's website:
Bipolar disorder, also called manic-depressive illness, is not as common as major depression or dysthymia.
Full breakdown of depression types here: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... ndex.shtml

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
NZA wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:
Megan170 wrote:Just to clarify, most clinical depression is a type of bipolar.
This is incorrect.

This may be true but it's beside the point. It is incorrect to say that most clinical depression cases are either manic depressive or exhibiting some other form of bipolar disorder. As WebMD, the Mayo Clinic, and other websites make clear, "clinical depression" typically refers to major depression. Aside from major depression, individuals are regularly diagnosed with chronic depression or dysthymia, seasonal depression or SAD, atypical depression, or other depressive disorders that traditionally lack manic episodes.

Here, from NIMH's website:
Bipolar disorder, also called manic-depressive illness, is not as common as major depression or dysthymia.
Full breakdown of depression types here: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... ndex.shtml
I gotcha. I guess she was confusing major/clincal depression with a manic disorder, then. Or rather, lumping manic disorders within clinical depression.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Last edited by arvcondor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 pm

agreed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”