When does one become a gunner? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cronous

New

When does one become a gunner?

Post by cronous » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I have always had a problem spotting borderline gunners. How often do they need to talk to be a gunner? At least once a class? What if they contribute something meaningful? I usually try to talk to at least once every 2 weeks to get my participation bump so I don't have to study as hard, a bit too much?

Wholigan

Silver

Re: When does one become a gunner?

Post by Wholigan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Watch it - if you so much as raise your hand more than once a week, you will find yourself kidnapped in the middle of the night and dragged to a secret location where you will be annointed as a gunner. Don't do it unless you want in for life. Makes Skull & Bones look like a bunch of pussies.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Some are born gunners, Some achieve gunnerdom, Others have gunnertude thrust upon them.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 pm

nymario wrote:Some are born gunners, Some achieve gunnerdom, Others have gunnertude thrust upon them.
+1

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:55 pm

If you talk in every class you are a gunner.
If you talk every other class but it is random blabbering about nothing then you are a gunner.
If you're only talking every third class or so, but blabbing on about nothing you may not be a gunner, just really annoying.

Honestly, there are many specific factors people identify in what a gunner really is so the above is only a very very broad generalization.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:56 pm

cronous wrote:I have always had a problem spotting borderline gunners. How often do they need to talk to be a gunner? At least once a class? What if they contribute something meaningful? I usually try to talk to at least once every 2 weeks to get my participation bump so I don't have to study as hard, a bit too much?
You become a gunner once you decide to talk in class for no other reason then to hear your own voice and spout off your opinions.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:36 pm

People have varying definitions of gunners.

If you talk a lot in class, but your questions/comments are relevant or useful, most of your classmates will not think poorly of you (well some might). On the other hand, if you talk a lot about random useless questions/comments, then your classmates are more likely to get annoyed.

Someone who falls into the second category is a gunner in my book while a person who falls under the first category is actually contributing to the class.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:44 pm

random5483 wrote:People have varying definitions of gunners.

If you talk a lot in class, but your questions/comments are relevant or useful, most of your classmates will not think poorly of you (well some might). On the other hand, if you talk a lot about random useless questions/comments, then your classmates are more likely to get annoyed.

Someone who falls into the second category is a gunner in my book while a person who falls under the first category is actually contributing to the class.
We had a few people who spoke often but truly knew what they were talking about and weren't trying to show up the rest of the class. I didn't mind them but they really knew their stuff. Vast majority that spoke often basically just spewed out as much info from the reading as they could along with some poorly constructed jokes in order to try and impress the profs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”