Success with other writing competitions and/or law reviews? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Success with other writing competitions and/or law reviews?

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

Has anyone here been published outside of their own school's law review? I've looked into a few writing competitions but I'm not entirely convinced it's worth the effort at this point.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: Success with other writing competitions and/or law reviews?

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:Has anyone here been published outside of their own school's law review? I've looked into a few writing competitions but I'm not entirely convinced it's worth the effort at this point.
You can. At least, we had a few law review members who got published in other journals, usually because they wrote on some specialized topic like basketweaving basset hounds of the Ozarks and the women who love them.

Just shotgun your paper to journals. The dirty secret is, lower ranked journals are hungry for decent writing, and they may need filler articles due to lack of submissions. You've got nothing to lose but time, and frankly, publication in the Cooley Law Review is better than nothing (I'm serious).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”