Is it true you can get into Mensa via the LSAT? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
justwondering123

New

Is it true you can get into Mensa via the LSAT?

Post by justwondering123 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm

:)

Veyron

Gold

Re: Is it true you can get into Mensa via the LSAT?

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Yes, although why you would want to do so is beyond me.

Also, its hilarious how low the Mensa LSAT/SAT bar is. They should just call themselves Moderately Smart and Socially Awkward People of America (MSSAPA for short).

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Veyron wrote:Yes, although why you would want to do so is beyond me.

Also, its hilarious how low the Mensa LSAT/SAT bar is. They should just call themselves Moderately Smart and Socially Awkward People of America (MSSAPA for short).
What's the threshold?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:39 pm

It is something like a 167-170. However, it has to be your first LSAT ever, timed, without any practice or knowing the test. That's the catch.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

What's the threshold?
LSAT*** prior to 1982 662
effective 1982
(total percentile rank) 95

SAT prior to 9/30/74 1300
from 9/30/74 to 1/31/94 1250
after 1/31/94 N/A

PROTIP - if you are looking at joining MENSA, you should at least be intelligent enough to use Google.
However, it has to be your first LSAT ever, timed, without any practice or knowing the test. That's the catch.
Huh? It doesn't say anything about that. I think you are in error sir. How would they be able to tell if you preped for the LSAT? Or do you mean "never took a real LSAT before?"
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:It is something like a 167-170. However, it has to be your first LSAT ever, timed, without any practice or knowing the test. That's the catch.
How would MENSA know if you had ever done practice tests or 'knowing' though surely this cannot be true.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm

MENSA is shit. You've gotta make it into the Triple Nine Society before hoes start lining up to suck your dick in the VIP.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Well, that's what I infered, anyways. If you prepped, then the score wouldn't mean anything, obviously, in terms of your apptitude. Any idiot can study 200+ hours for the LSAT and get a 165+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Goes to show you how much of joke MENSA is.

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Veyron wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

What's the threshold?
LSAT*** prior to 1982 662
effective 1982
(total percentile rank) 95

SAT prior to 9/30/74 1300
from 9/30/74 to 1/31/94 1250
after 1/31/94 N/A

PROTIP - if you are looking at joining MENSA, you should at least be intelligent enough to use Google.
However, it has to be your first LSAT ever, timed, without any practice or knowing the test. That's the catch.
Huh? It doesn't say anything about that. I think you are in error sir. How would they be able to tell if you preped for the LSAT? Or do you mean "never took a real LSAT before?"

i am British but am coming over to law school in the states for my JD and hopefully a long term career 15-20 years. Would i be allowed to join the american branch of mensa, when a student at law school, or will i have to apply for British mensa (which have a IQ entry test and don't seem to take the lsat (can't find anything on them doing so, so i assume not))

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Why would anyone want to join MENSA? If there was ever a group of people that underperformed their numbers IRL . . .

justwondering123

New

Post by justwondering123 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Veyron wrote:Why would anyone want to join MENSA? If there was ever a group of people that underperformed their numbers IRL . . .

because i want to join, i've always wanted to, do you know of any information that can help me in my predicament?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:02 pm

justwondering123 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Why would anyone want to join MENSA? If there was ever a group of people that underperformed their numbers IRL . . .

because i want to join, i've always wanted to, do you know of any information that can help me in my predicament?
Weird.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 pm

MENSA is or was until recently pro eugenics

fact

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Veyron wrote:PROTIP - if you are looking at joining MENSA, you should at least be intelligent enough to use Google.
My self-esteem hasn't dipped low enough to consider it, but I will keep that in mind. Their members creep me out. They have that pedophile look. Y'know, the whole bespectacled, receding-hairline, socially awkward look.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm

chem wrote:MENSA is or was until recently pro eugenics

fact
That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:11 pm

justwondering123 wrote:

Nope, sorry bro.

Maybe they are more preftigious in Europe.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:14 pm

flcath wrote: That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?
I think there's a case to be made for preventing the quintessential Mensa member from procreating in the first place.

The only time I hear about Mensa is on American Justice.

SullaFelix

Bronze

Post by SullaFelix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:14 pm

justwondering123 wrote::)
Mensa says nothing about the intelligence or relative aptitude of its members. It does, however, speak volumes about their self-awareness and personality.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
flcath wrote: That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?
I think there's a case to be made for preventing the quintessential Mensa member from procreating in the first place.

Wait, Mensa members procreate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:22 pm

justwondering123 wrote: i am British but am coming over to law school in the states for my JD and hopefully a long term career 15-20 years. Would i be allowed to join the american branch of mensa, when a student at law school, or will i have to apply for British mensa (which have a IQ entry test and don't seem to take the lsat (can't find anything on them doing so, so i assume not))
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Americans simply don't give a fuck about anything. If you want prestige, get into HYS. Even then, the general public won't still give a fuck. It's just the way it is. Welcome to America, mate.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Veyron wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

Wait, Mensa members procreate?
They haven't yet, but they're hoping if enough people sign onto this whole "eugenics" theory they'll have a better chance.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:37 pm

To the Brit, with love:)

There are relatively easier ways for nerds to accumulate booty-calls in America. Jeopardy >>>>Mensa. Most cute chicks don't even know what the hell Mensa is, and if they do, they probably own multiple black cats and play dungeons and dragons. No bueno.

Nearly got on Jeopardy me self. I was however, unfairly disqualified on account of my derogatory views concerning people who paint for a living.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:51 pm

flcath wrote:
chem wrote:MENSA is or was until recently pro eugenics

fact
That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?
This is 85% of the reason I'm having 5 kids.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”