Most amazing citations you will ever see. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fester11

New

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Post by fester11 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am

Emma. wrote:Anheuser-Busch, Inc. v. Beer, Soft Drink, Water, Fruit Juice, Carbonic Gas, Liquor Sales Drivers, Helpers, Inside Workers, Bottlers, Warehousemen, School, Sightseeing, Charter Bus Drivers, General Promotions Employees, and Employees of Affiliated Industries, Malster, Laborers, Syrup, Yeast, Food, Vinegar, Brewery, Recycling and Miscellaneous Workers of Chicago and Vicinity, Illinois, Local Unions No. 744, Affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, 280 F.3d 1133 (2002)
(i) Union and local union names.

Cite a union name exactly as given in the official reporter. This general rule is subject, however, to the following exceptions:

(i) Only the smallest unit should be cited:

NLRB v. Radio & Television Broadcast Engineers Local 1212
Not: NLRB v. Radio & Television Broadcast Engineers Local 1212, IBEW, AFL-CIO

(ii) All craft or industry designations, except the first full such designation, should be omitted:

Douds v. Local 294, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Not: Douds v. Local 294, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen & Helpers
But: International Union of Doll & Toy Workers v. Local 379

(iii) A widely recognized abbreviation of the union’s name (e.g., UAW) may be used in accordance with rules 6.1(b) and 10.2.1(c).

(iv) All prepositional phrases of location, including those of national or larger areas, should be omitted.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

I'm sure this has something to do with his TTT clerks.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 am

Cavalier wrote:You're an idiot. He's citing to an argument that he previously made simply because he's making that same argument again; he's clearly not citing his past decisions as binding authority. There was absolutely no reason to make this thread.
I realize what he's doing, and I still think it's amazing. Originalism makes no sense. The very first sentence of this dissent: "The Court's decision today does not comport with the original public understanding of the First Amendment."

This is ridiculous on many levels. First, it is an insult to the incredibly smart people who wrote the Constitution. To assert that they believed they were creating a rigid and unchanging document requires a serious absence of intellectual horsepower.

Second, at least some of those people were strong supporters of slavery, so to read Thomas writing about "original public understanding" of the Constitution is incongruous at best.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am

jkay wrote:
Cavalier wrote:You're an idiot. He's citing to an argument that he previously made simply because he's making that same argument again; he's clearly not citing his past decisions as binding authority. There was absolutely no reason to make this thread.
I realize what he's doing, and I still think it's amazing. Originalism makes no sense. The very first sentence of this dissent: "The Court's decision today does not comport with the original public understanding of the First Amendment."

This is ridiculous on many levels. First, it is an insult to the incredibly smart people who wrote the Constitution. To assert that they believed they were creating a rigid and unchanging document requires a serious absence of intellectual horsepower.

Second, at least some of those people were strong supporters of slavery, so to read Thomas writing about "original public understanding" of the Constitution is incongruous at best.
Originalism makes more "sense" than activist courts do. HTH.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 am

beach_terror wrote:
jkay wrote:

On behalf of law students everywhere, I just want to thank you and your fellow Federalist Society members for using that tax evader's money to buy better food than pizza for your presentations. Seriously, man, we appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 am

TTH wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
jkay wrote:

On behalf of law students everywhere, I just want to thank you and your fellow Federalist Society members for using that tax evader's money to buy better food than pizza for your presentations. Seriously, man, we appreciate it.
NOT A CONSERVATIVE OR MEMBER OF THE FEDERALIST SOCIETY, BUT THANKS?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 am

This thread is absolutely insufferable. OP clearly is a 0L.. everyone else cares too much.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:46 am

pleasetryagain wrote:This thread is absolutely insufferable. OP clearly is a 0L.. everyone else cares too much.
OP is a rising 2L

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:52 am

CyLaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:This thread is absolutely insufferable. OP clearly is a 0L.. everyone else cares too much.
OP is a rising 2L
well then he should have his tuition refunded...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gradesmatter

New

Post by gradesmatter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:54 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
OP is a rising 2L
well then he should have his tuition refunded...

beardown_tho

New

Post by beardown_tho » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 am

jkay wrote:I realize what he's doing, and I still think it's amazing. Originalism makes no sense. The very first sentence of this dissent: "The Court's decision today does not comport with the original public understanding of the First Amendment."
But you were attacking him for citing himself, not for originalism.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Nobody cares.

applejacks

New

Post by applejacks » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 pm

:shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I just want to say:

Fuck you OP for this thread.

robert85

New

Post by robert85 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:20 pm

jkay wrote:Words fail.

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm

thesealocust wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:This thread is awful.
--ImageRemoved--

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 pm

robert85 wrote:
jkay wrote:Words fail.

This made me lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 pm

What is this thread.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:29 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:What is this thread.
worthless nonsense ?

stormy

New

Post by stormy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:28 pm

gingersnaps

New

Post by gingersnaps » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 pm

standard tls thread where people act douchey about other people acting douchey (omg it's just like law school) and then some other people come in and decide to post animated .gifs because that's what the internet was made for.

(am i now acting douchey about people acting douchey about people acting douchey? MAYBE I SHOULD THROW IN AN ANIMATED .GIF HERE.)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:14 pm

td6624 wrote:
standard tls thread where people act douchey about other people acting douchey (omg it's just like law school) and then some other people come in and decide to post animated .gifs because that's what the internet was made for.

(am i now acting douchey about people acting douchey about people acting douchey? MAYBE I SHOULD THROW IN AN ANIMATED .GIF HERE.)
You should probably just stop posting so the thread stops getting bumped.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:
td6624 wrote:

You should probably just stop posting so the thread stops getting bumped.
or you should probably just stop posting so the thread stops getting bumped.... ?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:36 pm

bump

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”