. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Last edited by trudat15 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Re: Going home multiple times during first semester

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm

You should be fine.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:29 pm

In my opinion, you will be completely be fine for the Sept./Oct. weddings. While you may feel a bit stressed while away, for these, you can easily plan ahead, do some reading in your downtime there/ on the plane, etc. I think you absolutely should not commit to the Dec. wedding however. You will be a week or two away from finals, and missing time in this period is crucial, especially since most people work around the clock. Especially since you will be losing a few weekends earlier, it makes no sense to handicap yourself late in the semester from the outset. It will not necessarily hurt your grades, all else equal, but there's no reason to stress yourself out, which can hurt your grades. I would try to tactfully get out of your obligations, buy your plane tickets anyways, etc., but keep it open, such that if you decide a couple days before that you can't do it, that you can cancel and not lose money and no one is counting on you.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:40 pm

I have to go home a few weekends during first semester to work bc I promised my boss I would. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Will prob be some nice time away from school

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I am not going home but I am planning to do the Chicago Marathon in October. I plan to read on the plane and read when I get there. I can see Chicago during the marathon.

Also doing a short trip to VA Beach during Labor Day weekend for a 1/2 Marathon.

I think I might be doing too much...but I'm thisclose to an OQT.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Addressing the Dec wedding only:

Will this make or break you? No. Are you gonna really really regret saying you'll fly halfway across the country during reading week, get less done than you would have if you'd stayed put, increase your stress, be an less pleasant wedding party member than you otherwise would be, and generally question your sanity? Prolly. It's not so much that you'll desperately need this time as you will 100% believe you do.

Also, flying? In the winter? Out of the midwest? Pray for clear weather, my friend.

All the others: you're fine.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm

I depends on how hard you work when you are not traveling, and how much ahead you can read. A friend of mine traveled across the country 2x for weddings and ended up bottom 20%.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

IAFG wrote:Addressing the Dec wedding only:

Will this make or break you? No. Are you gonna really really regret saying you'll fly halfway across the country during reading week, get less done than you would have if you'd stayed put, increase your stress, be an less pleasant wedding party member than you otherwise would be, and generally question your sanity? Prolly. It's not so much that you'll desperately need this time as you will 100% believe you do.

Also, flying? In the winter? Out of the midwest? Pray for clear weather, my friend.

Well said. I would caution against any commitments during reading week. However, I had to move out of my apartment during reading week and lost a few days. I still ended up doing fine. Granted this was during second semester not first. Just bust your ass off the whole semester and use those wedding getaways as mini breaks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 am

Fine on Sept/Oct. December wedding will be stressful, but you won't be screwed--assuming that you aren't a lazy bum who waits to start outlining until December, then you'll be screwed.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 am

Any traveling prior to late November will not impact you negatively. All you have to do is get your reading done ahead of time so your weekends are free (when you travel). Traveling in late November or prior to end of finals in December is a bad idea due to finals (especially since most schools start finals in early December).

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:07 am

I know this is unpopular around here (OMG need top gradez 4 biglaw), but it's just law school. Years from now, you'd regret missing your childhood friend's wedding more than losing some study time.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 am

Pizon wrote:

I know this is unpopular around here (OMG need top gradez 4 biglaw), but it's just law school. Years from now, you'd regret missing your childhood friend's wedding more than losing some study time.
Have fun doing doc review for $12/hr the rest of your life! hth!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 am

Pizon wrote: I know this is unpopular around here (OMG need top gradez 4 biglaw), but it's just law school. Years from now, you'd regret missing your childhood friend's wedding more than losing some study time.
While that might be true, I was thinking shorter range: would OP be able to have fun, play along, be pleasant and celebratory at that point in the semester? I think the odds are probably against it.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I'd tell them congrats but sorry. I hate weddings though. Add that to the fact that most people get divorced. Just tell them if they need a divorce attorney you'll do it for them to make up for not being at the wedding (half joking, but I'd skip. That's me though, not you. It's your choice, not anyone elses.)

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I'd tell them congrats but sorry. I hate weddings though. Add that to the fact that most people get divorced. Just tell them if they need a divorce attorney you'll do it for them to make up for not being at the wedding (half joking, but I'd skip. That's me though, not you. It's your choice, not anyone elses.)
Harsh.

But yeah, you know yourself best. I wouldn't put too much trust in the notes of others as we all tend to take them differently. Keep your holidays with family open, but don't be afraid to tell your friends/family members getting married no. As "Getting to Maybe" said, you're not in Kansas anymore. Law school isn't like undergrad where you can skip class for the entire semester and still expect to ace the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:39 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Zazelmaf wrote:I'd tell them congrats but sorry. I hate weddings though. Add that to the fact that most people get divorced. Just tell them if they need a divorce attorney you'll do it for them to make up for not being at the wedding (half joking, but I'd skip. That's me though, not you. It's your choice, not anyone elses.)
Harsh.

But yeah, you know yourself best. I wouldn't put too much trust in the notes of others as we all tend to take them differently. Keep your holidays with family open, but don't be afraid to tell your friends/family members getting married no. As "Getting to Maybe" said, you're not in Kansas anymore. Law school isn't like undergrad where you can skip class for the entire semester and still expect to ace the exam.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I told the Dec wedding there is a possibility I wont make it, but that I'd try my best. I guess I'll figure that out once I start school and see how comfortable I feel with everything.

Figured the Sept wedding (the weekend before classes start and after orientation) was fine, and Oct weddings ended up being on the same weekend (Sat and Sun weddings), so I'll probably head out for those (since it's still relatively early in the quarter for me).

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 am

trudat15 wrote:Thanks for your replies, everyone. I definitely have to go to the Dec one. I plan on being there for the ceremony only and leave the reception only to fly back. If I can figure out a way out of it, I may try.

Just curious, does anyone's opinion change if first semester (quarter for me) only consists of 2 finals which account for 15% of 1L grades?
Personally, I think you'll be completely fine. Especially after knowing it's only 2 finals worth 15%. Just make sure you work hard throughout the semester and start your outlines early (in advance of the Thanksgiving break). I have a friend who flew home for a reunion 4 days during the reading period in Spring semester (when we have 4 exams, including one for a year long class) and ended up top 20% at a T30 lawschool. She said it was the best decision she ever made because it gave her down time to relax. She did some light reading on the plane, but other than that nothing while she was home. Just study your butt off before you leave and when you return. You'll be glad for a couple days off when everyone else is in the library freaking out.

Good luck and enjoy your first year!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I have a mildly similar predicament. I'm going to be in Philly for LS but my fiancee will be staying back for my 1L in Richmond, VA to finish up her M.A. Is it smart or feasible to go back and forth (either of us coming or going) every few weeks during my 1L? How terribly would that affect my grades or should I simply buckle down and see her for Thanksgiving, Winter break, Spring break?

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm

crossarmant wrote:Not to hijack OP's thread, but I have a mildly similar predicament. I'm going to be in Philly for LS but my fiancee will be staying back for my 1L in Richmond, VA to finish up her M.A. Is it smart or feasible to go back and forth (either of us coming or going) every few weeks during my 1L? How terribly would that affect my grades or should I simply buckle down and see her for Thanksgiving, Winter break, Spring break?
As long as you are dedicated and don't completely slack on your assignments/preparation, I don't think a couple trips would hurt. My husband was my rock during 1L and having some non-law school fun on the weekends made me much more focused during the week. You'll obviously want to do less trips as finals get closer, but I see no reason why you can't take off a couple weekends throughout the semester. Then again I didn't think LS really required the 60+ hours per week that some claim...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 pm

I think you'll be fine for all of them except the December one. How close to finals is this? I personally would not do this, and I am probably one of the more stress-free, laid back people on TLS when it comes to studying and grades.

During the last few weeks leading up to finals, you spend most of your time studying and focusing on exams. Sure, you take a few hours out of every day to unwind and hang out (have some beers, play some XBox, whatever), but I would not take myself out of "study mode" for an entire weekend of partying a week before finals. You'll sacrifice study time, take yourself out of the right studying mindset, and add stress to yourself.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 pm

trudat15 wrote:Just curious, does anyone's opinion change if first semester (quarter for me) only consists of 2 finals which account for 15% of 1L grades?
Yes. What the hell kind of law school do you go to?

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think you'll be fine for all of them except the December one. How close to finals is this? I personally would not do this, and I am probably one of the more stress-free, laid back people on TLS when it comes to studying and grades.

During the last few weeks leading up to finals, you spend most of your time studying and focusing on exams. Sure, you take a few hours out of every day to unwind and hang out (have some beers, play some XBox, whatever), but I would not take myself out of "study mode" for an entire weekend of partying a week before finals. You'll sacrifice study time, take yourself out of the right studying mindset, and add stress to yourself.
Thanks. If I were to go to Dec, I def wouldnt be partying much. Would probably miss the rehearsal and try to be in and out for Saturday night, with minimal drinking. That's the plan anyways.
romothesavior wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Just curious, does anyone's opinion change if first semester (quarter for me) only consists of 2 finals which account for 15% of 1L grades?
Yes. What the hell kind of law school do you go to?
Could be completely wrong on those numbers. Heard them once or twice before on TLS I think. Going to UChicago. I just shot out a "ask the 2Ls" to confirm. I'm almost positive, though, that it's just two finals first quarter.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

You should be fine. I got through 1L taking off one day every week completely. (Meaning I did no work at all for at least one day each week.) You should all try it- it's rad cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”