Class Rank Estimator Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sandrew

New

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Post by Sandrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:00 am

Neat tool!

I tried a different methodology, using the actual grade distributions posted for our section's exams and running a simulation for a hypothetical class of 3,200 students. My free variable is the correlation of grades across courses each student. I hypothesized that there should be positive correlation, since students who do well in class x are more likely to do well in class y. Obviously, higher correlation pushes the cut-offs up a bit.

For the curious, here's a selection of estimated class rank cut-offs at GULC based on first semester 1L grades (in my section).

Top [x%]...Cut-off GPA
1%...3.91
2%...3.87
3%...3.84
4%...3.81
5%...3.78
6%...3.76
7%...3.75
8%...3.72
9%...3.71
10%...3.69 ***NOTE: I calibrated the correlation variable to hit this number***
15%...3.62
33%...3.44
50%...3.32

PM me if you're curious about the methodology and sensitivity. Spreadsheet is too cumbersome to post to GoogleDocs, unfortunately.

temperance

New

Post by temperance » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 pm

nice. thanks for doing the work on this!

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 am

NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.
Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.

Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.
Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.

Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)
The calculator assumes you have calculated your GPA.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

There are two sheets, one if you have your gpa, and another one that calculates it (good for speculative grades). I haven't looked at the spreadsheet in a while though, so the second type of sheet might be buried under 100 copies of the first sheet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:53 am

NYC Law wrote:
Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

There are two sheets, one if you have your gpa, and another one that calculates it (good for speculative grades). I haven't looked at the spreadsheet in a while though, so the second type of sheet might be buried under 100 copies of the first sheet.
Really? Yeah. It's long gone.

And how does it calculate your gpa? Does it make assumptions about quality point distribution per grade?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 am

Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.
Use the manual workaround for now. I wrote it myself and will guarantee that the math is correct. If anyone else wants to create a shared spreadsheet, I would happily edit your link into the OP and give you credit.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.
Use the manual workaround for now. I wrote it myself and will guarantee that the math is correct. If anyone else wants to create a shared spreadsheet, I would happily edit your link into the OP and give you credit.
Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error
It works for me but my rank changes slightly based on what data point I use- varies between 3%

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error
You are doing something wrong.
ilovesf wrote:It works for me but my rank changes slightly based on what data point I use- varies between 3%
Yeah, it's not the most precise thing in the world. The most accurate choice is the data point closest to your GPA.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 pm

random math question

why does it estimate a higher percentile when you increase the median gpa? shouldn't it be the other way around?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:17 pm

You're tightening the standard deviations more than you're tightening the distance between your grade and median. You stud, you.

ETA: to everyone who doesn't understand teh maths, that was not proof that the formula doesn't work. It works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

dailygrind wrote:You're tightening the standard deviations more than you're tightening the distance between your grade and median. You stud, you.

ETA: to everyone who doesn't understand teh maths, that was not proof that the formula doesn't work. It works.
well now i feel like a dick

jess

Post by jess » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 pm

If anyone can get it to estimate without a median using only then following, I'll give them a high-five!

Top 10% - 3.67
Top 25% - 3.57
Top 33% - 3.53
GPA: 3.21 & 3.34

Top 10% - 3.81
Top 25% - 3.67
Top 33% - 3.61
GPA: 3.50

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

Nice thread! Thank you for this information. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anchuldigs

New

Post by anchuldigs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Color me confused. Here are the stats. Help please?

Top 10% 3.62
Top 25% 3.47
Top 33% 3.44
Top 50% 3.32

GPA 3.51

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm too lazy to look at your spreadsheet, but can it calculate based on two data points instead of one data point and the mean? Because that's mathematically possible (just did it long-hand) but a friend told me this thread wasn't helpful with only the two data points and not the mean (...so I did the math then asked instead of reading the thread...)

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Color me confused. Here are the stats. Help please?

Top 10% 3.62
Top 25% 3.47
Top 33% 3.44
Top 50% 3.32

GPA 3.51

anchuldigs: I did this the mentally handicapped way by drawing a graph. You are top 20% +/- 1%.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 pm

delete
Last edited by redsox550 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 am

redsox550 wrote:can someone please claculate this for me, here are the stats from last year

3.81 = 10%
3.335 = 50%
~185 students

calculate for these 3 numbers please 3.77, 3.42, 3.86
The front page is a fucking tool to do it for yourself. And two of them are so close to top 10% that a calculation would be less accurate than eyeballing it.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm too lazy to look at your spreadsheet, but can it calculate based on two data points instead of one data point and the mean? Because that's mathematically possible (just did it long-hand) but a friend told me this thread wasn't helpful with only the two data points and not the mean (...so I did the math then asked instead of reading the thread...)
Nah. I think I know how to rewrite so that it could do that calculation, but to be perfectly honest I'm no longer practiced enough with the math to make that a fun use of my time. I could give it an hour or so if there's high demand, though.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Just figured I'd stumble in here and let you all know that there is now a calculator using the formula in the OP up at http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php

Note that it will store the known rank/percentile that you use for future users to use (but it will not store your own rank).

Thanks to dailygrind for editing it into the OP :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”