Vocabulary Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
farszandian

New

Vocabulary

Post by farszandian » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey all! I'm a 0L. Does anyone know where I can find a good cache of must-know legal terms going into 1L? I don't want to be sitting in class and not know what "pro se", for example, means. I'd appreciate any help!

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Vocabulary

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi yall. I'm a third year attorney and I'd like to know about this list also, as I avoid legal-speak like the fucking black death.

Op. Please don't worry about this. You'll learn the nifty lingo in due time.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:57 pm

farszandian wrote:Hey all! I'm a 0L. Does anyone know where I can find a good cache of must-know legal terms going into 1L? I don't want to be sitting in class and not know what "pro se", for example, means. I'd appreciate any help!
<--- learned what pro se was about 4 weeks ago

no.big.deal

t3hevildonut

New

Post by t3hevildonut » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:04 pm

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 pm

All you need to do is when you're reading a case and you come across a word you don't know, go look at Black's Law Dictionary and copy the definition into your notes. Keep a running vocab page if you like. A lot of times professors will look to see if people looked up words like that during class.

You don't need to learn them now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:58 pm

I did not use a legal dictionary once during 1L. If I didn't know a word I either Googled it (and could usually tell what the word means a couple of seconds after Googling) or tried to figure it out myself based on context/waited for the professor to explain it.

Definitely not essential to do any prep.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

This sounds like a sure fire way to get on the path to gunnerdom and making yourself hated by your peers. Don't be that guy that drops latin phrases into your in class answers for no reason.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:15 pm

goodolgil wrote:I did not use a legal dictionary once during 1L. If I didn't know a word I either Googled it (and could usually tell what the word means a couple of seconds after Googling) or tried to figure it out myself based on context/waited for the professor to explain it.

Do not, do not, DO NOT, wait for the professor to explain it. Guess what his first question is going to be? Hey X, what does _____ mean? and when X doesn't know, the professor is going to get PISSED.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm

eandy wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I did not use a legal dictionary once during 1L. If I didn't know a word I either Googled it (and could usually tell what the word means a couple of seconds after Googling) or tried to figure it out myself based on context/waited for the professor to explain it.

Do not, do not, DO NOT, wait for the professor to explain it. Guess what his first question is going to be? Hey X, what does _____ mean? and when X doesn't know, the professor is going to get PISSED.
Good thing my grade doesn't depend on what the professor thinks of my answer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:This sounds like a sure fire way to get on the path to gunnerdom and making yourself hated by your peers. Don't be that guy that drops latin phrases into your in class answers for no reason.
If you know what the legal term actually means, it is pretty hard to drop it into your answer for no reason.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
eandy wrote:

Good thing my grade doesn't depend on what the professor thinks of my answer
It's still uncomfortable. I did find it useful to keep a legal dictionary handy during the first couple weeks of case reading but the vocab is pretty clear from then on.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:23 pm

eandy wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:This sounds like a sure fire way to get on the path to gunnerdom and making yourself hated by your peers. Don't be that guy that drops latin phrases into your in class answers for no reason.
If you know what the legal term actually means, it is pretty hard to drop it into your answer for no reason.
I meant no good reason. As in, trying to impress your professor with the fact that you learned what inter alia means is not a good reason to say something like "The plaintiff was charged with, inter alia, assault and battery." People that say things like that are douches.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

I didn't mean to ask him to explain it, I meant I just let the term come up in the context of class discussion, where it almost always would if it was important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

farszandian

New

Post by farszandian » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 pm

All good info, guys. And I promise I won't be the douchy gunner who tries to jam latin into every sentence for its own sake; just looking for a way to get a leg up. :-)

Thanks!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I would go ahead and order a hard copy of Black's Law Dictionary. (Personally, I prefer the Deluxe Ninth Edition.) I read this cover to cover my 0L summer, highlighting the most important / interesting terms and all Latin terms. Then I went back and made flash cards of all of them. I think this really contributed to me being the biggest douche in the law school.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 am

You don't need it. I learnt what Pro Se was when I did research for an interview for a Pro Se position in a federal court (ie. second semester of 1L year). You will encounter a lot of new words, but you can look them up as you learn them. You don't need to know words like pro se when starting out law school.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I suggest, inter alia, Black's law dictionary.

Goddamn, that looks pretentious even when it's a joke!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

Renzo wrote:I suggest, inter alia, Black's law dictionary.

"Inter alia" is my favorite pretentious Latin phrase. :mrgreen:

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
Renzo wrote:I suggest, inter alia, Black's law dictionary.

"Inter alia" is my favorite pretentious Latin phrase. :mrgreen:

My personal favorite is sua sponte.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”