Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splitterfriendly

New

Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue!

Post by splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 am

For whatever reason, she neglected to check the proper email account for notices about housing for the past few weeks, expecting it to be forwarded to gmail, or something.. Today, she logs into the account and sees a bunch of notices / final notices / removals from consideration for housing, and even the waitlists for housing.. She's emailed the dean and the housing administration but hasn't yet received word back. She's really down about the whole situation and thinks she'll miss out on a big portion of 'the experience' by living off campus, with strangers.

Is there anything she can do to get back 'in' with housing?

If you've had any similar experience with housing at your school, please share it.

If you started 1L living off campus, how do you think you live(d) differently than students who live(d) on campus? Is it difficult to adjust? Is it harder to become involved in extra curriculars?

*Also, it seems relevant to tell you she'll be turning 21 in the Fall.

Thanks!

TL;DR; Harvard bound GF just discovered that she missed the housing deadline by ~2 weeks and is really down about potentially not living on campus. Any pertinent advice / insight, TLS?

Edit: Reddit TLS (my sincere apologies)
Last edited by splitterfriendly on Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue!

Post by Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 12:41 am

splitterfriendly wrote:For whatever reason, she neglected to check the proper email account for notices about housing for the past few weeks, expecting it to be forwarded to gmail, or something.. Today, she logs into the account and sees a bunch of notices / final notices / removals from consideration for housing, and even the waitlists for housing.. She's emailed the dean and the housing administration but hasn't yet received word back. She's really down about the whole situation and thinks she'll miss out on a big portion of 'the experience' by living off campus, with strangers.

Is there anything she can do to get back 'in' with housing?

If you've had any similar experience with housing at your school, please share it.

If you started 1L living off campus, how do you think you live(d) differently than students who live(d) on campus? Is it difficult to adjust? Is it harder to become involved in extra curriculars?

*Also, it seems relevant to tell you she'll be turning 21 in the Fall.

Thanks!

TL;DR; Harvard bound GF just discovered that she missed the housing deadline by ~2 weeks and is really down about potentially not living on campus. Any pertinent advice / insight, Reddit?
Close enough ;). I'm sure living off campus will be fine, seeing as the majority of HLS students, including 60% of 1Ls live off campus. She could try living in HRES University Housing: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... index.html. She would be off-campus, but living in the same building with other HLS students.

Tell her to set up her Harvard email account to forward her emails to Gmail, and then send a test email to confirm you set it up properly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”