Cell Phones Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bport hopeful

Gold

Cell Phones

Post by bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

0L here, but need some insight on what may be a dumb topic.

I currently have a blackberry, but Im considering making the switch to an iPhone. Ive often heard that blackberries are advantageous when doing business. Is this true? Are there reasons that I should reconsider?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Cell Phones

Post by kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Whichever one you prefer. Doesn't matter one bit.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon May 09, 2011 5:14 pm

bport hopeful wrote:0L here, but need some insight on what may be a dumb topic.

I currently have a blackberry, but Im considering making the switch to an iPhone. Ive often heard that blackberries are advantageous when doing business. Is this true? Are there reasons that I should reconsider?
Recently switched from BB to iPhone and I'm never looking back. I haven't really seen any major drawbacks (except maybe that you have to go into your mail for it to update, it doesn't just come automatically like a text). But this is far, far, FAR outweighed by the advantages like a better web browser. Get the iPhone, ESPECIALLY if you already have AT&T and the unlimited BB data plan which you can grandfather into the unlimited iPhone data plan.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Im a Verizon man, but thats still usefull info.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Muenchen wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:0L here, but need some insight on what may be a dumb topic.

Recently switched from BB to iPhone and I'm never looking back. I haven't really seen any major drawbacks (except maybe that you have to go into your mail for it to update, it doesn't just come automatically like a text). But this is far, far, FAR outweighed by the advantages like a better web browser. Get the iPhone, ESPECIALLY if you already have AT&T and the unlimited BB data plan which you can grandfather into the unlimited iPhone data plan.
You don't have to go into your mail for it to check for mail... I get mine without being in my mail. I believe you have to have the Push notifications (or Fetch, whatever it's called in settings) turned on.
That being said... I love my iPhone and will not use a different phone as long as apple continues making them.
I tried using a BB and i didn't like the ball cursor at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, I dont like most of the BBs. I mean, I would use them over any non smart phone and prolly many smart phones, but Im currently using a Storm 2. I really like it. But I understand the superiority that is apple accessories.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Blackberries suck next to iPhones.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Get an Android phone, dude. It can do basically all the things the iPhone can do (plus some), but you don't have to give money to Apple. Win/win. Plus, while not quite as srs bzns as a BB, I think an Android phone just looks more professional than an iPhone.

I love my HTC Evo 4G, and there are some seriously impressive newer Android models either already out or coming soon. (Evo 3D, Thunderbolt, etc.)

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon May 09, 2011 5:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get an Android phone, dude. It can do basically all the things the iPhone can do (plus some), but you don't have to give money to Apple. Win/win. Plus, while not quite as srs bzns as a BB, I think an Android phone just looks more professional than an iPhone.

I love my HTC Evo 4G, and there are some seriously impressive newer Android models either already out or coming soon. (Evo 3D, Thunderbolt, etc.)
Apple products also have status.
Android is TTT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get an Android phone, dude. It can do basically all the things the iPhone can do (plus some), but you don't have to give money to Apple. Win/win. Plus, while not quite as srs bzns as a BB, I think an Android phone just looks more professional than an iPhone.

I disagree with most of this.
Edit: Thanks though. Appreciate the feedback.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Muenchen wrote:

Android is TTT.
Yes...that status being "teenage girl", "grandpa," or "housewife."

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get an Android phone, dude. It can do basically all the things the iPhone can do (plus some),
Lol. Elaborate on this anti-Apple trolling please.

Also there's no 4G network yet, so although your phone has 4G capability, it still runs 3G. HTH.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon May 09, 2011 5:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:

Android is TTT.
Yes...that status being "teenage girl", "grandpa," or "housewife."
notsureifserious.jpg

Look at the most successful young professionals out there, and I can tell you blindly that 80%+ have BBs or iPhones.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Everything here is wrong.

If you like Android, get an Android. If you like an iPhone, get an iPhone. The idea that one is more professional than the other is silly. If anything, an iPhone looks better because of Apple's attention to detail.

Also, there are some badass legal apps in the App Store.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Also, apps are designed first for iOS then they're made to work on Android. So if you like technology's sloppy seconds, Android is TCR.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Get an Android phone, dude. It can do basically all the things the iPhone can do (plus some),

Also there's no 4G network yet, so although your phone has 4G capability, it still runs 3G. HTH.
There's plenty of 4G coverage where I live, but thanks.

Home screen widgets, more free apps in the market (it's true), connects to ANY computer as a USB drive, no fucking iTunes required, two official app markets, universal email inbox, and you can get it on any carrier. Just to name a few Android advantages.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:

No there's not. If you've been told otherwise you've been lied to.

Edit: The things you listed are additional features not advantages. Except for iTunes and any carrier, everything you mentioned is on the iPhone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm

maxm2764 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:

No there's not. If you've been told otherwise you've been lied to.

Edit: The things you listed are additional features not advantages. Except for iTunes and any carrier, everything you mentioned is on the iPhone.
Those two are both dealbreakers for me anyway, so I could delete the rest of the list and Android still wins.

Maybe the ITU hasn't yet certified WiMax as "officially" 4G, but it does exist and it is a hell of a lot faster than 3G. At least it's not just HSPA+ like what AT&T is calling 4G.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 6:10 pm

What is with this illogical hatred of iTunes? It's a great music organization software and makes managing a phone super easy.

As far as other carriers, with AT&T acquiring T-Mobile, what does it matter? It's on the only two carriers that matter. Sprint doesn't count because they are the worst carrier in existence.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 pm

kalvano wrote:What is with this illogical hatred of iTunes? It's a great music organization software and makes managing a phone super easy.

As far as other carriers, with AT&T acquiring T-Mobile, what does it matter? It's on the only two carriers that matter. Sprint doesn't count because they are the worst carrier in existence.
I've been on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Sprint has been by FAR the best experience. Best coverage, cheapest, and (amazingly) better customer service. Admittedly I don't travel a lot, but in the few other cities I've taken my sprint phones, I haven't had any trouble. AT&T was a nightmare.

I don't "manage" or "organize" my music. I put music on a device, I listen to it, I take it off. I want all my devices to act as USB drives (which is why I buy Creative Labs media players). I hate syncing--it never syncs the right things. I don't sort by genre, I don't rate my own music (if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have it), I delete all album art because I don't give a shit what the CD looks like, I never buy music with DRM, I don't need software to recommend music or invent mixes for me, and I don't want my devices or music files to be tied to one computer. On my computer I use VLC or Winamp to listen to music, neither of which require me to maintain a "music library" or run constantly in the background, sucking memory.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Rinkrat, you must REALLY like Sprint.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 pm

maxm2764 wrote:Rinkrat, you must REALLY like Sprint.
Sprint is fine. AT&T sucks. Verizon was ok--if expensive--until I moved into a condo where there was no coverage (which Verizon denied, and made me pay the ETF).

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm

retake/reapply

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Sprint is so awful, words cannot even begin to describe it.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to Sprint.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 pm

Every attorney I know has an iPhone.

Just saying.

I know one attorney who needs BB for Exchange.

She switched to an iPhone now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”