WTH is wrong with people and their outlines? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
king3780

Bronze

WTH is wrong with people and their outlines?

Post by king3780 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:42 am

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I outline I try to synthesize and see how things piece together. I try to be concise so if something comes up in an exam that sounds familiar but I can't quite place it I can flip through my outline and find the exact term or phrase I'm looking for. And quite frankly, the process of creating the outline is what really matters since that's when everything is refreshed in my mind.

Some of my 2L classmates like to constantly post on Facebook how they're constantly studying and outlining. No one can seem to figure out what the hell they're doing until 1 a.m. every night starting at five weeks before finals start. Today I got an answer, from one of their FB statuses:
"After 4 months of my semester pregnancy and tons of hours of labor with [redacted], I just gave birth to a 92 page poverty law outline. Proud mother, indeed."

First of all, poverty law sounds like the stupidest class ever. Second, what the hell is in this outline? Full briefs on every case? What could the possible utility of this outline be?

dakatz

Gold

Re: WTH is wrong with people and their outlines?

Post by dakatz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 am

lol i'll bet the people who take poverty law will need a good poverty lawyer one day

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 am

You sound like you're just insecure and trying to convince yourself that you know how to take exams better than other people. I got all A's first year with very long outlines. Different things work for different students.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:46 am

blsingindisguise wrote:You sound like you're just insecure and trying to convince yourself that you know how to take exams better than other people. I got all A's first year with very long outlines. Different things work for different students.
Maybe I'm insecure, but that's not the point. I'm not saying my way is right and theirs is wrong... I just really can't wrap my head around how a 92-page outline is useful.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:50 am

Long outlines are generally useless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 am

king3780 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:You sound like you're just insecure and trying to convince yourself that you know how to take exams better than other people. I got all A's first year with very long outlines. Different things work for different students.
Maybe I'm insecure, but that's not the point. I'm not saying my way is right and theirs is wrong... I just really can't wrap my head around how a 92-page outline is useful.
Admittedly, 92 sounds a bit long (especially if it's not a five-credit class), but if you have a well organized enough outline (table of contents, tabs, etc.) it can be nice to flip to the appropriate section and find the glossed-over note case that's exactly on point.

BTW you are extra douchey for mocking someone for wanting to go into PI law.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 am

What they don't tell you is they used a 36 point font to impress people on facebook.

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:55 am

92 pages is close to writing an entire book. Not a textbook but a book nonetheless.
Last edited by powerlawyer06 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 am

Who care what other people do? Other people aren't taking my exam for me.

My property outline will be close to 60 pages for the exam. My torts outline might not even be a page.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:58 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
king3780 wrote:
Admittedly, 92 sounds a bit long (especially if it's not a five-credit class), but if you have a well organized enough outline (table of contents, tabs, etc.) it can be nice to flip to the appropriate section and find the glossed-over note case that's exactly on point.

BTW you are extra douchey for mocking someone for wanting to go into PI law.
Bro, you are all about busting my balls tonight. I have no problem with public interest law, I just think poverty law is a stupid sounding name for a class.

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 am

be a gangsta like me and go into all your exams without an outline 8)

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 am

My 9 Page Property Outline > My Friends 115 Property Outline

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 am

Cupidity wrote:My 9 Page Property Outline > My Friends 115 Property Outline
115? this just keeps getting more and more crazy....what is the longest you all have actually seen?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:36 am

Cupidity wrote:My 9 Page Property Outline > My Friends 115 Property Outline
115?! For property? Damn. Must not be someone in my section, since my entire notebook for the semester wouldn't add up to that much. Outline under 10 pages must be sweet. Mine is like 40 pages, but I want to make a 3-4 page summary outline that I can actually use during the test.

Conlaw is a different beast. Every sample outline I have is like 100-120 pages. Even an ultra condensed version would still be a good 50 pages or so.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:40 am

My property outline is about 60 pages and the rest are shorter at around 40 but I find that making the outline is really the point of the exercise. I don't really use it for test day (except for civpro) but then tabbing works really nicely.

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:42 am

I utilized both long and short outlines.... I had some outlines that were about 110 pages, but obviously they were a little more than a mere outline (I copy pasted a lot of my lecture notes). However, with a good table of contents they can be just as easily navigable as a short outline. Sure, half the time it was unnecessary to have such a large outline because I already knew most of the material. I think the main reason I carried a bulky outline into almost every exam was just in case there was a question I was stumped on and a smaller outline would not be enough to pick and pull large substantive thoughts from to help come up with a decent answer. There were a few times a professor pulled from some small nuanced section that we barely covered in class that my smaller outline did not answer, but was found within a few pages of my larger outline.

Bottom line is that different things work for different people. Some people are confident in having a small condensed outline and nothing else. I am not one of those people... I prefer going into an exam knowing that I have a bulky outline that I can navigate easily to the appropriate section and pull from a elaborate explanation in my notes if needed. It worked for me seeing as how I received mostly As. There were also plenty of people getting As using a small outline and nothing else. Just do what makes you feel comfortable and don't be so concerned about other people.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:30 am

My friends Con Law outline is 132 pgs. Mine is 15.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 am

My property outline < 5 pages
8) ...I'll let you know how it goes.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 am

I knew a guy who would read every single case twice, and then he would write really long briefs for each case. He would also write 60-90 page outlines for most classes. He did so because he loved the law and all of its details.

He is clerking for the Supreme Court now.

I now use his outlines and get good grades.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 am

TaipeiMort wrote:I knew a guy who would read every single case twice, and then he would write really long briefs for each case. He would also write 60-90 page outlines for most classes. He did so because he loved the law and all of its details.

causation hates you

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:13 am

Always Credited wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I knew a guy who would read every single case twice, and then he would write really long briefs for each case. He would also write 60-90 page outlines for most classes. He did so because he loved the law and all of its details.

causation hates you
lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:31 am

Always Credited wrote:

causation hates you
I don't see the causal statement I am making.

Nicholas Nickleby

New

Post by Nicholas Nickleby » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:58 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

causation hates you
Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 am

Nicholas Nickleby wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

causation hates you
Post hoc ergo propter hoc?
You realize this fallacy only applies to deductive reasoning, yes? Any sane person relies on post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning (induction) every day of the week.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 am

Different things work for different people. My outlines are usually 30-40 pages. Some of my friends make 150-200 page outlines, others make 15-20 page outlines. It doesn't matter. The point of a making an outline is that you learn the law very well when you're putting it together; the final product itself often doesn't help much during an exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”