Please Gimme some Advice on Cost of Books Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jmtanoury

New

Please Gimme some Advice on Cost of Books

Post by jmtanoury » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello fellow TLSers,

I'll try to keep this brief. I am a future 1L and am currently deciding how much in loans I am going to take out. Obviously I am trying my best to take out as little as possible and my simple question is....

How much do you guys pay on books and general materials for class???? On average what do you guys think you fork out for a semester or year's worth of material. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

vamedic03

Gold

Re: Please Gimme some Advice on Cost of Books

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:10 pm

jmtanoury wrote:Hello fellow TLSers,

I'll try to keep this brief. I am a future 1L and am currently deciding how much in loans I am going to take out. Obviously I am trying my best to take out as little as possible and my simple question is....

How much do you guys pay on books and general materials for class???? On average what do you guys think you fork out for a semester or year's worth of material. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
A rough guestimate = $1000/semester. This is a rough estimate based on taking up to 5 classes/semester and purchasing a casebook ($160) + 1 supplement ($40) per class at sticker price. In practice, you should be able to either buy some of your books used or new from Amazon at a lower price. But, for planning purposes, I think it's safer to use the higher figure.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Sign up for free student amazon prime account to get free shipping, order books, rinse, repeat next semester. I spent about $500 a semester on the required books. You don't have to buy supplements unless you really want to as the library usually has everything you need, or you can get them second hand from upperclassmen on the cheap.

jmtanoury

New

Post by jmtanoury » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Buy books and supplements used fro Half.com or Amazon, I saved at least 50% doing that. I have probably spent about 600-700 on books+supplements for BOTH semesters this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

buy the old editions on amazon. I paid about ~$100 for books this semester. spend the first week correlating the agenda to the old edition, then profit. new editions are almost exactly the same, and in case there is one or two cases missing from your old edition, you can always look them up online. most caselaw is old, and it is not like important cases become unimportant cases within 1 year.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 pm

gwuorbust wrote:buy the old editions on amazon. I paid about ~$100 for books this semester. spend the first week correlating the agenda to the old edition, then profit. new editions are almost exactly the same, and in case there is one or two cases missing from your old edition, you can always look them up online. most caselaw is old, and it is not like important cases become unimportant cases within 1 year.
$100! that is just pimp :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”