Attorney trying to become an officer (not a JAG) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cornelpa

New

Attorney trying to become an officer (not a JAG)

Post by cornelpa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 am

This is regarding an attorney trying to become a regular officer (not a JAG because JAGs have about an 8% acceptance rate). I have a law degree and like so many solo attorneys I'm making around $20k/year with no healthcare or retirement. I was prior enlisted in the Army reserves for 6 years and 5 veterans preferance points. The FBI is on a hiring freeze and my eyesight might not be good enough for the Secret Service. I graduated in the bottom half of my class in law school, so JAG is probably not an option (unless being prior enlisted dramatically helps me get into Army JAG, does anyone know that answer?). So I'm considering becoming a regular officer, but I just turned 32, so I believe Navy and Marines aren't an option. I could waive into Army. My gpa in undergrad in accounting was almost 3.2 but my gpa in law school was 2.8. I've heard to get into Air Force officer, you have to have a medical/computer/engineer degree or be way above a 3.5 gpa. But I've only read opinions about people with bachelors trying to get into officers, and I haven't heard of the chances for attorneys. I know officers start at around $40,000 with food and housing and retirement benefits and one-month of vacation each year, and 20 years later officers make around $120k as majors or colonels, so I'm interested. Does anyone know whether my law gpa gets averaged into my undergrad and hurt me, or does the law degree help, or do you have to have a technical degree to get into AF officer? Any advice would help (and please don't say why can't you get a job in accounting because I've applied to 2,000 accounting jobs this past year, and even some engineer jobs posted on monster.com get 400 applicants).

hasmith

Bronze

Re: Attorney trying to become an officer (not a JAG)

Post by hasmith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am

Strongly recommend contacting each of the services and ask to speak to an officer recruiter. They can give you the best information. You can get the contact info by visiting each service's web page, alternatively you can most likely find it in the yellow pages.

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am

I'm sure you've done some research, but just in case:
--LinkRemoved--

Website says 35 some places, 30 some others. As somebody previously mentioned, your best source of information on officer accessions/waivers would be a recruiter.

I have known several officers who were attorneys, or at least had earned JDs. Off the top of my head two are military intelligence and a third is presently commanding a rifle company in Afghanistan.

cornelpa

New

Post by cornelpa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for the responses and the link. Can you tell me how the Army determines which program to place an officer (meaning, I have a CPA accounting background, so would they make me as a financial officer, or is it my choice, or is it based on my pt score in OCS, or on my desires, or just on their need)? It may sound picky, but there's a big difference in being an infantry officer versus a finance or civil affairs officer. Thanks

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Former Navy officer here...

Are you sure you are too old for the Navy Supply Corps? Competition for Navy OCS slots has gotten pretty fierce since my day (no, NOT just after the Civil War :wink: ) but the Supply Corps is a pretty good deal if you can get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”