Summer job advice - PI or RA? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JordynAsh

Bronze

Summer job advice - PI or RA?

Post by JordynAsh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I'll be interning for a judge the second half of this summer but I've just received an offer from a PI organization that would probably let me split the summer to work the first half at their office. However, I also have the option to RA for the first half. I'd prefer to RA and take a summer class, but is working for a PI that much better for OCI than RA/summer school that I should take the PI offer instead?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm a 1L.
Last edited by JordynAsh on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linquest

Bronze

Re: Summer job advice - PI or RA?

Post by linquest » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Any legal work experience will be more helpful in the job hunt process than the 1 or 2 classes you'll take in the summer. Take the PI gig, split with RA only if it's relevant/interesting topic or a prof that might be very helpful to you later.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm

The PI gig would look better on a resume than being an RA. The only reason to take the RA position is if, like the above poster mentioned, the professor has the connections to get you a good firm job/federal clerk spot after graduation.

EDIT: if that avatar is of your own dog, well done and it is friggin adorable.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 pm

linquest wrote:Any legal work experience will be more helpful in the job hunt process than the 1 or 2 classes you'll take in the summer. Take the PI gig, split with RA only if it's relevant/interesting topic or a prof that might be very helpful to you later.
I would still have the judicial internship if I choose to RA. Would you still say that PI + internship > RA + class + internship?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 pm

What are your career aspirations? Also, is clerking something you're interested in? If so, being an RA could pay dividends down the road when it's time to do recommendations, etc.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:39 am

Actually I think I've worked it out so I can do all three. Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”