question about what classes to take 2L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anonymcoffee

Bronze

question about what classes to take 2L

Post by anonymcoffee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

rising 2L students are registering for classes at GW...i know we're doing everything early for no reason (Jan 3 spring semester start anyone?).

I find it a bit overwhelming having to pick classes because I do not have a set career course or specialization ...I am interested in litigation, trial advocacy, negotiations (the more interactions with people the better) as well as criminal law but I feel that I should maybe do more corporate/administrative stuff since this seems to be more in need (and paying more...? :/).

Any recommendations for classes? I plan on taking the basics, some bar courses but wanted to know what people do about their schedules? Should I go for classes I can do better in grade wise because I like them, (aka for me criminal law - it's people, they do bad stuff, it just makes sense! haha) or classes that law firms may prefer more but I might have some difficulty in because my background is not in business? Basically, any classes to help me at OCI? It feels like trial advocacy and negotiations aren't something a SA or fresh grad would do. Let me know ...registering tonight.

And if I don't get anything at OCI (gpa 3.28), should I plan my schedule so after the Fall Semester 2011, I can improve job search?

(God, being dumb/mediocre sucks)

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: question about what classes to take 2L

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 pm

What classes you should take if you want litigation (criminal or otherwise):
Evidence
Legal Profession
Complex Litigation
Federal Courts
Con. Crim. Pro: Adjudication
Con. Crim. Pro: Investigation
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Conflict of Laws
Civil Procedure II
You cannot generally take Trial Ad without Evidence or Legal Pro.

What classes you should take if you want transactional:
Federal Income Taxation
Business Enterprises
Secured Transactions
Bankruptcy (some schools require Secured Transactions before Bankruptcy - some don't)
Legal Profession
...Evidence
Trusts and Estates or Trusts and Estates Tax Planning
Sale of goods (assuming it's not part of your first year)

Note that these recommendations are assuming that you are looking for classes to take fall of your 2l year. Of course there are more advanced classes to take, but most students cannot take them yet.

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 pm

oh okay I see ...I'll focus on the litigation courses then thanks!

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Mostly, look for classes that interest you and that are taught by good teachers.

Firms don't care much.

But don't take too many Law & __ classes or fluff seminars. Limit those to one, maybe two, each semester.

Take a mix of core classes. Given your interest in litigation and criminal law, start with evidence and crim pro. Consider also taking corporations/business assoc. And perhaps consider a statute/regulation-heavy class like tax or bankruptcy or securities reg.

You still have 3L to focus in a particular area once you know better what you do/don't like, so explore a bit.

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 pm

the Law and X classes do not seem that interesting to me ...I don't like how people say that law doesn't prepare you for practice so I am trying to avoid fluff and take courses that may help me in some way (so I don't go to school for 3 years and have no idea at all how to practice). I like civ pro the most because it's less theory and philosophizing and more hands on - that's good to know about the firms, I"ll focus on stuff I like and can best help me for bar/practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:the Law and X classes do not seem that interesting to me ...I don't like how people say that law doesn't prepare you for practice so I am trying to avoid fluff and take courses that may help me in some way (so I don't go to school for 3 years and have no idea at all how to practice). I like civ pro the most because it's less theory and philosophizing and more hands on - that's good to know about the firms, I"ll focus on stuff I like and can best help me for bar/practice.
As to the bold, that's still gonna happen, hth

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm

rad law wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:the Law and X classes do not seem that interesting to me ...I don't like how people say that law doesn't prepare you for practice so I am trying to avoid fluff and take courses that may help me in some way (so I don't go to school for 3 years and have no idea at all how to practice). I like civ pro the most because it's less theory and philosophizing and more hands on - that's good to know about the firms, I"ll focus on stuff I like and can best help me for bar/practice.
Yeah, I realize that there's all truth to that statement but taking Law and (very specific X) can't help that much either; I don't have a background in business or taxes or accounting or anything close to it so maybe some classes will at least give me some kind of intro so I don't go in practice and be completely out of the loop. But yeah sucks that after 3 years ... you're not prepared :/

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:28 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:
rad law wrote:
Yeah, I realize that there's all truth to that statement but taking Law and (very specific X) can't help that much either; I don't have a background in business or taxes or accounting or anything close to it so maybe some classes will at least give me some kind of intro so I don't go in practice and be completely out of the loop. But yeah sucks that after 3 years ... you're not prepared :/
Fair bro. Such is the lawl school.

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:10 pm

sidenote: I don't really know TLS "demographics" but I always find it strange when I get called bro or dude. I'm a girl (I thought it would be apparent by the ramblings, incoherent posts). And I guess I always assume I'm talking to girls :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 pm

anonymcoffee wrote: I'm a girl (I thought it would be apparent by the ramblings, incoherent posts).
:?:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:sidenote: I don't really know TLS "demographics" but I always find it strange when I get called bro or dude. I'm a girl (I thought it would be apparent by the ramblings, incoherent posts). And I guess I always assume I'm talking to girls :/
You realize, there are like 8 girls total on the internet, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”