Worried about entering law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NickJ

New

Worried about entering law school

Post by NickJ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm going to graduate college with a bachelor's degree in English (professional writing) and a minor in Political Science. After I graduate, I'm going to work for a few month's while studying for my LSAT. I have a 3.0 gpa at the moment and I'm pretty dead said on entering law school but after seeing some of the other students I'm worried. They're graduating also and already have internships and know LOADS about domestic policies and international relations while English is my bread and butter. Granted I did a little internship over the Summer at a bankruptcy firm, I'm still worried whether or not I'll make or not. Any tips? Am I on the right track?

qed2011

New

Re: Worried about entering law school

Post by qed2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

NickJ wrote:I'm going to graduate college with a bachelor's degree in English (professional writing) and a minor in Political Science. After I graduate, I'm going to work for a few month's while studying for my LSAT. I have a 3.0 gpa at the moment and I'm pretty dead said on entering law school but after seeing some of the other students I'm worried. They're graduating also and already have internships and know LOADS about domestic policies and international relations while English is my bread and butter. Granted I did a little internship over the Summer at a bankruptcy firm, I'm still worried whether or not I'll make or not. Any tips? Am I on the right track?
This is the work of an English major?

NickJ

New

Post by NickJ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm

qed2011 wrote:
NickJ wrote:I'm going to graduate college with a bachelor's degree in English (professional writing) and a minor in Political Science. After I graduate, I'm going to work for a few month's while studying for my LSAT. I have a 3.0 gpa at the moment and I'm pretty dead said on entering law school but after seeing some of the other students I'm worried. They're graduating also and already have internships and know LOADS about domestic policies and international relations while English is my bread and butter. Granted I did a little internship over the Summer at a bankruptcy firm, I'm still worried whether or not I'll make or not. Any tips? Am I on the right track?
Excuse me?????

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm

dead said

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm

legal writing fail

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Bolded for grammatical/idiomatic mistakes.

Law school is a numbers game, and any 3.0 GPA is going to be tough to overcome without a pretty stellar LSAT score (but especially an English GPA as opposed to a science or math). It doesn't matter if you know "loads" about international policies or not, but I am worried about your lack of basic ability in what is apparently your current field of study.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Amazing

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Okay...I'll toss in a serious answer.

Don't trip on the other students. Prior knowledge is not going to help much in law school. You'll be fine.
NickJ wrote:Granted I did a little internship over the Summer at a bankruptcy firm
This is a good thing.
NickJ wrote:I'm still worried whether or not I'll make or not. Any tips? Am I on the right track?
Not yet. You need to inform yourself more, although you seem to just be getting started on that. What you need: really clear picture of employment prospects (from places like this board, Law School Transparency, etc. - NOT the law schools themselves), a VERY high LSAT score, and eventually a massive scholarship.

If you can take care of those things, you'll be fine. I won't go into too much detail on any of them, because there is plenty of info already on here about why those things matter, but start looking around this board for information on those things ASAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Why the fuck do you have a 3.0 in English?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

qed2011 wrote:Bolded for grammatical/idiomatic mistakes.
Glad someone else jumped on this. I'm surprised there weren't any loose/lose, then/than, would have/would of mistakes as well. Hell, I'm surprised OP didn't say he was going to law school irregardless of what others say.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:45 pm

NickJ wrote:
qed2011 wrote:
Excuse me?????
If you'd like someone to spell it out for you (no pun intended) your paragraph is rife with grammatical errors and you're an English major. It was actually quite funny so I'm sorry the joke was lost on you.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Glad someone else jumped on this. I'm surprised there weren't any loose/lose, then/than, would have/would of mistakes as well. Hell, I'm surprised OP didn't say he was going to law school irregardless of what others say.
irregardless. Classic. Top ten indicators of what kind of person you're dealing with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dyslexia maybe?

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:03 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
irregardless. Classic. Top ten indicators of what kind of person you're dealing with.
I believe that gust of wind you just felt was the joke rushing past you.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i loled

tvt86

New

Post by tvt86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

Leave the guy alone. No need for all those reactions to someone who's trying to get honest advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:27 pm

There is really no need to worry, unless you write like this all the time.

Also,
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-4t ... 612&sr=8-1
Buy this. Profit.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:35 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
No, I totally got it. I was agreeing with him. Thanks though.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Not everybody tries in college bro.

<--------- 3.2 in political science, LOL

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Oh I'm well aware. But he needs to admit this and try harder in L-school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:34 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
I believe you need to work on your RC skills before trying to zing somebody there guy.

Retiarius

New

Post by Retiarius » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 am

You don't need to have any prior knowledge about anything before entering law school.

I was a Math and Physics major in undergrad, and I haven't taken a political science class since high school. I don't think my lack of a "legal" background impeded me at all in my first semester.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:59 am

1. So far this thread has produced a joke, a comprehension fail of the joke, a critique, a comprehension of a critique, a joke based on a failed comprehension of a comprehension of a critique, and a critique of the joke based on a failed comprehension of a comprehension of a critique. Excellent.

2. OP, are you trying to ask whether or not your softs are strong enough?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 am

Desert Fox wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Oh I'm well aware. But he needs to admit this and try harder in L-school
How necessary was that abbreviation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”