NYC: Dress shirts for skinny guys. Where to get? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JG Hall

Bronze

Re: NYC: Dress shirts for skinny guys. Where to get?

Post by JG Hall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Thomas Pink Super Slims

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 pm

JG Hall wrote:Thomas Pink Super Slims
From the way OP makes it sound, dropping 180+ per shirt ain't gonna happen.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Consider them an investment in the future, like good cufflinks or louboutin 100s?

whydididothis

New

Post by whydididothis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 pm

I enjoy fitted shirts from indochino.com myself. Though they list them at like $100, you can often find $150 worth of indochino groupons for $50 (for example, http://www.groupon.com/sudbury/deals/in ... -sudbury-1 has one today). You send them your measurements and they send you shirts, easy peasy.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

+1 to CK Slim Fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Brooks Brothers slim fit are just about the perfect fit for most normally built guys. If you are really slim, the extra slim is a great cut, just beware, the armpit holes are small so you really do need to be a very slim guy to pull them off. But as many others have said, I have dabbled with Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, etc. and I firmly believe Brooks Brothers makes the highest quality/best fitting product on the market. Watch for specials, you can get them at decent prices every now and then. Also, I reiterate a poster's comment above, buy the non-iron.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Brooks Bros slim fit, then take it to a tailor if you need it to be made smaller. Not sure where you get this idea that there is nothing a tailor can do with a shirt that doesn't fit quite right. Get it as close to being right as you can, and then take it to a tailor and have them take some out. That's the entire purpose of going to the tailor, duder.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 am

shirtsmyway.com is awesome, assuming you have a shirt you currently own and like that you can use as a size template. sort of pricey, but if you buy asap you can catch the tail end of their anniversary offer, and i think its something like buy $300 worth of shirts and get $175 free or very similar.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 am

mzing12 wrote:Hey forum,

Any of you in NYC tackle this problem? I'm on the shorter side and skinny, and I've been having trouble finding dress shirts that actually fit well. Mostly they're either way too baggy or way too tight, but I can't seem to find anything in between.

Tips, recommendations, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

You're telling us that Banana Republic fitted shirts don't work for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

salinanekol

New

Post by salinanekol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 am

Last edited by salinanekol on Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:17 am

These have all been stated, but to recap...
Inexpensive: Uniqlo
Moderate: Brooks Brothers
High-end: Thomas Pink

Also, Best Custom Shirtmakers in NYC, according to Debonair Magazine (my go-to source for men's fashion):
Geneva Custom Shirts ($100-$400)
Paris Custom Shirtmakers ($325-$700+)
CEGO Custom Shirtmaker ($100+)

As far as tailors go, Bhambi's Custom Tailors in midtown is great. My husband is very slender and got his suits (from JCP...ah, the impoverished life of a med student!) tailored there with excellent (and quick) results.

Edit: sorry for the bump...didn't look at the original post date :oops:

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:27 am

Brioni is by far my favorite

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:58 pm

I just bookmarked this thread to use when I buy some shirts. I love fashion, but never think about it. Heck, I don't even think about women anymore. All I think is power, and money. My girlfriend complains that I have a one track mind, and it isn't sex related. My only motivation to go to the gym, and dress well is for the link between appearances, and power and money. I'm not overly skinny, but at 150 lbs., I do like things a little snug because I feel when I wear baggy dress shirts, I look like a little boy, which is bad both for acquiring power and money, the only two things that matter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 am

Check out blanklabel.com

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:46 am

Last edited by 071816 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deakce

New

Post by deakce » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 am

chimp wrote:Why the fuck is there a thread about this?
Hi ther I'm also looking for Dress shirts for skinny guys but still unable to find ... Have you any idea.. :roll:

wholesale mens dress shirts (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by deakce on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:08 am

So, whats the difference between a BB slimfit shirt and a slimfit shirt from JC Penny's?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 am

I don't understand why there are so many threads with people complaining about finding dress shirts for skinny people. I think the hardest is when you have an athletic build. Every shirt I buy no matter how good it fits in the chest/shoulders needs to be taken in at the waist. A tailor really is the correct answer for most people. But if your proportionally skinny it shouldn't be a problem, almost every store has slim fits and ultra slim fits. If you live in NYC head to uniqlo. They have a nice selection of different fits, and its a nice step up from H&M but almost as cheap.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 pm

UNIQLO (but it's only in NYC, however their J+ slim fit shirts are an epic win for slim fit dress shirts for a great price, and it works just as well for guys who are on the shorter side and thin (I'm not very tall and I'm very very thin). If no access, then Zara is probably your best bet

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Mike12188 wrote:I don't understand why there are so many threads with people complaining about finding dress shirts for skinny people. I think the hardest is when you have an athletic build. Every shirt I buy no matter how good it fits in the chest/shoulders needs to be taken in at the waist.
This is my problem as well. I'm not huge or anything, but I just have a very narrow waist compared to my shoulders/chest. I'll stop by Brooks Brothers on this thread's recommendations. Can anyone else suggest decent brands for athletic builds?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:36 am

MTC87 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:I don't understand why there are so many threads with people complaining about finding dress shirts for skinny people. I think the hardest is when you have an athletic build. Every shirt I buy no matter how good it fits in the chest/shoulders needs to be taken in at the waist.
This is my problem as well. I'm not huge or anything, but I just have a very narrow waist compared to my shoulders/chest. I'll stop by Brooks Brothers on this thread's recommendations. Can anyone else suggest decent brands for athletic builds?
I'm waiting on one of those made to order shirts to arrive at my house. I ordered the test shirt from moderntailor.com, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 am

Dunno if anyone has said it yet, but Charles Tyrwhitt "Tailored" fit shirts are TCR . . . right now, especially, since they're having a 4 for $199 sale. I'm like 6' 0'' and 150-55 lbs. These CT tailored-fit shirts fit me like a glove . . . FAR better than BB slimfit, IMO.

Also, I'm lazy as fuk, so I only buy non-iron shirts. CT > BB in that respect as well, IMO.

skrillo

New

Post by skrillo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Dunno if anyone has said it yet, but Charles Tyrwhitt "Tailored" fit shirts are TCR . . . right now, especially, since they're having a 4 for $199 sale. I'm like 6' 0'' and 150-55 lbs. These CT tailored-fit shirts fit me like a glove . . . FAR better than BB slimfit, IMO.

Also, I'm lazy as fuk, so I only buy non-iron shirts. CT > BB in that respect as well, IMO.
Tailored? Hmm
Last edited by skrillo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:34 pm

skrillo wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Dunno if anyone has said it yet, but Charles Tyrwhitt "Tailored" fit shirts are TCR . . . right now, especially, since they're having a 4 for $199 sale. I'm like 6' 0'' and 150-55 lbs. These CT tailored-fit shirts fit me like a glove . . . FAR better than BB slimfit, IMO.

CT does not make tailored fit in non-iron though...

Edit: the "slim" version. Fuking BB/CT sizing got me confused. "Slim" fit CT shirts are the bomb. They're also more tailored-fit than the BB slimfit shirts.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:37 am

JG Hall wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Consider them an investment in the future, like good cufflinks or louboutin 100s?
The ironic thing here is that while the general principle is correct, Thomas Pink shirts are not good investments. You can get far higher quality for the same price.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”