Style Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Dr. Van Nostrand

Bronze

Re: Style Question

Post by Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 pm

smittytron3k wrote:how do we feel about the following for work shirts (not interview):
(a) tasteful, muted colors (pastel green, lavender, soft pink, cream, pastel yellow)?
(b) tasteful patterns (stripes, windowpane) in white and blue?

is it mostly just an issue of office culture?
(a) Depends, I think a soft pink can be okay with a nice Navy suit, as to the others I would shy away. White, light blue are the staples and shouldn't be displaced with easter egg colors.

(b) I think patterns are acceptable. Just make sure not to clash patterns with your suit and tie or you will absolutely make yourself look ridiculous. Further, stay away from very boldly striped or patterned shirts. You don't want to draw too much attention to your dress shirt, just keep it simple and tasteful and you will fine.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Would you rather be this guy:

Or this guy:

umm I don't know about the colors but I think I wanna be the guy with the head

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 am

repeating what has already been said in this thread, the only three shirts you can get away with without being completely safe are
1) White
2) light blue
3) White with a very inoffensive pattern

There are other colors that you can get away with, but it's going to be a risk, and if your goal is to make sure nobody thinks you're wearing an ugly shirt, then stick with these three and mostly just plain white.

Also, for heavens sake, don't wear a pocket square as a summer associate.
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:23 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:repeating what has already been said in this thread, the only three shirts you can get away with without being a risk are
1) White
2) light blue

There are other colors that you could get away with, but if your goal is to make sure nobody thinks you're wearing an ugly shirt, then stick with these three and mostly just plain white.
4) light blue with a very inoffensive pattern is safe as well.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:25 am

lolschool2011 wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:repeating what has already been said in this thread, the only three shirts you can get away with without being a risk are
1) White
2) light blue

There are other colors that you could get away with, but if your goal is to make sure nobody thinks you're wearing an ugly shirt, then stick with these three and mostly just plain white.
4) light blue with a very inoffensive pattern is safe as well.
Ah yeah, something like this (LinkRemoved) would definitely work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”