Best semester to study abroad in law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

When is the best semester to study abroad in law school?

2L - Spring Semester
26%
3L - Fall semester
74%

Total votes: 38

TrackTony88

Bronze

Best semester to study abroad in law school?

Post by TrackTony88 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm

I am considering studying abroad either my 2L year in the spring of 3L year in the fall. A lot of it obviously depends on results from Fall 2L OCI and if i have a job lined up. Anyone with any experience have any ideas when is the best semester to choose? (I am not considering summer/winters as an option since I plan on working then). Thanks!

Ship87

Bronze

Re: Best semester to study abroad in law school?

Post by Ship87 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:23 am

I have a question about studying abroad in law school: Is it primarily to build relationships/connections in foreign countries and to show an interest in intl law to employers, or is it more along the lines of studying abroad in college (i.e. a general life experience that adds something interesting to your resume)?

Edit: I know these aren't mutually exclusive, I just want to know if it is very career specific or if it is encouraged for someone with, say, an interest in patent law who wants to experience what law school is like in another country.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 am

Don't forget summers also. I am a 1L, going to split my summer-interning first half, study abroad second half. Additionally I am considering a subsequent semester abroad, however I am not sure when. Most "home" schools require that you complete your core classes before leaving for a semester from what I understand. However, as a summer abroad will not interfere with core classes there is no conflict and thus no problem.

This is simply what I have discovered so far in signing up for my summer study abroad program.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Is studying abroad during the summer really advisable though, even if you split with an internship? The cost of a study abroad program is considerable. Also, do you get useful academic credit with a study abroad program, or networking opportunities, etc?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 pm

I intend to go abroad for my entire 3L year, but I have previous work experience in this country and want to return there permanently.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”