Running from the Law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NewJersey1

New

Re: Running from the Law

Post by NewJersey1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 am

SWC is a big fat useless idiot. The choice isn't either work biglaw or work without a shirt on in a nuclear waste facility for 19 hours a day, dipshit. Most people at good schools have the option (in a good economy anyway) of working in government, a nonprofit, a smaller firm with a more reasonable work/life balance, or even starting their own firm and at least feeling ownership of what they are doing during those long hours. People pile into big firms because they perceive it as the prestigious thing to do and give little thought to other options that might be more fulfilling because of pressure from classmates in law school. Big firms show up at your doorstep with a bag full of cash and it's hard to say no because of loans. The article was probably meant to point out exactly why you should say no, and why it might not be a bad idea to use your school's LRAP if you are lucky enough to have it available.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 am

That article was pretty crazy.
They were giddy about a new associate who'd broken all records for billable hours in a month: 445. I did the math -- that's about 15 hours a day, seven days a week.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am

Random Old Article About Biglaw wrote:They were giddy about a new associate who'd broken all records for billable hours in a month: 445. I did the math -- that's about 15 hours a day, seven days a week. without a question the result of billing fraud because no human being can work 18-20 hours/day for 30 days straight

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 am

+1 to swc from me too. I don't think biglaw and roof-tarring have to be the only two options in order for what he said to stand.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am

MrKappus wrote:Article was horribly dated. Made it hard to take any of it seriously.

OP: do you think no one is writing about law firms right now? Is that why you felt the need to post this?
No, I just thought it was an interesting and well written article.
Some things about biglaw probably never change, but I'm sure some do. I wouldn't read 10 year-old articles about golf clubs I want to buy, let alone professions I'm to enter. Just sayin'...
From people I've talked to, it seems a lot of the stuff about lifestyle is pretty spot on. What inaccuracies did you notice that you'd like to point out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 am

AreJay711 wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
swc65 wrote:You know what? Whoever wrote this is a whiny bitch. Try tarring a roof in the middle of summer for 12 hours per day for min wage. Or, try getting shot at in a war zone for 40K per year. Or, try picking fruit for .06 per banana or chopping chickens in a factory until your right arm is three times of the size of your left and you cant use it anymore.

I am so sick of hearing lawyers bitch and moan that they work so many hours in such a stressful job. Sitting in a climate controlled office at computer reading or researching or writing is nothing compared to what MOST people have to do for work. If you can't handle this, kill yourself or shut the fuck up!

Seriously, where the hell are you going to make that much money and not work your ass off? If you went to law school for the money, then you deserve exactly what you get. If you don't like it GET THE FUCK OUT!!!! Open up a spot for someone else who would be happy to do the work for that much money.
Oh I dunno, I've worked some jobs like the ones you described it and I actually liked it. Work hard, see some tangible results, and then get off work - and really be done with work, no stress about it, none of it hanging over your head, etc.

I havent worked in a firm yet, so we'll see how it compares.
What milk said. TBF, I know plenty of construction workers who are also whiny bitches so I still agree that the guy in the article is a whiny bitch.

Also, OP you really posted that whole article!?
haha yeah. I ddin't know this was a no-no around here. Don't see the big deal, but I'll play by the rules.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 am

This article, albeit dated, makes me really consider not going to a T14 and racking up over 100K of debt for Biglaw. At least I know what I'm getting myself into going to a regional school, working at a small law firm for a lower salary. This makes Biglaw sound like absolute hell. Then again, this guy's probably just a whining pussy

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:53 am

What about that article did you think was inaccurate? What do you expect biglaw to be like?

I don't think he was whining, I think he was reporting what he experienced and why he left. I guess he didn't have to stay to pay his debt? He left law entirely it seems from the article.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Just reaffirms what I have increasingly been thinking about... nice to hear it from people who have been through it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”