Thank You Letter - all four interviewers? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
phonepro

Bronze

Thank You Letter - all four interviewers?

Post by phonepro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Interviewed with a firm and four attorneys. Should i send a thank you note to all four? Only problem is I dont want to say the same thing to everyone. I was thinking sending it to the hiring attorney and asking him to extend my thanks to the other three interviewers. Thoughts? Thansk!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Re: Thank You Letter - all four interviewers?

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm

phonepro wrote:Interviewed with a firm and four attorneys. Should i send a thank you note to all four? Only problem is I dont want to say the same thing to everyone. I was thinking sending it to the hiring attorney and asking him to extend my thanks to the other three interviewers. Thoughts? Thansk!
Standard is sending it to either: 1) an interviewer you really clicked with, or; 2) your contact at the firm (e.g., the person who called you / you called to schedule the callback interview) and asking them to extend their thanks to the others. Personalized letters for all four are fine, but be careful that you they aren't all the same (so you'll have to remember something specific from each interview) and that there are absolutely zero typos.

My opinion is, one letter = a lot less real estate for a stray typo to slip in. Plus, most of the time they fill out the form re: you immediately after the interview, so a thank you letter personalized to all four usually can't help all that much (but can really really hurt if it has a typo, hence one letter is probably safer).

Also, before a snarky poster chimes in: there is a search function. :D

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: Thank You Letter - all four interviewers?

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:33 pm

I actually read (I think it was in Guerilla Tactics to Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams), that you should sent a letter to all those you interviewed with. I think, however, this may have been w/ regard to rejecting an offer from a firm you would like to work with in the future.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”