NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jkay

Bronze

NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Post by jkay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:27 pm

As if TLS'ers needed them.

To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test

“The struggle helps you learn, but it makes you feel like you’re not learning,” said Nate Kornell, a psychologist at Williams College. “You feel like: ‘I don’t know it that well. This is hard and I’m having trouble coming up with this information.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/scien ... ml?_r=1&hp

The one change I am making next semester: more fully written, timed practice tests, and earlier.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: NYTimes: More reasons to take practice tests.

Post by gbpackerbacker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

jkay wrote:As if TLS'ers needed them.

“The struggle helps you learn, but it makes you feel like you’re not learning,” said Nate Kornell, a psychologist at Williams College. “You feel like: ‘I don’t know it that well. This is hard and I’m having trouble coming up with this information.’ ”

The one change I am making next semester: more fully written, timed practice tests, and earlier.
Yes, but is law school a losing game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm

There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
jkay wrote:As if TLS'ers needed them.

Yes, but is law school a losing game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html
I c wut u did ther

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 pm

forza wrote:There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.

Agreed.

Just make sure you take some untimed practice tests with an outline to help you out initially. As the exams approach though, all your practice tests should be timed and possibly closed book (I take them closed book, but arguments can be made for either way).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 pm

random5483 wrote:
forza wrote:There is absolutely no substitute for taking loads of timed practice exams and then reviewing them against a model answer.

Agreed.

Just make sure you take some untimed practice tests with an outline to help you out initially. As the exams approach though, all your practice tests should be timed and possibly closed book (I take them closed book, but arguments can be made for either way).
I think you should only take PT's closed book if your exam is closed book. If your outline is good, you can use it during the exam and there is seriously no need to memorize.

However taking PT's with your outline is extremely smart. I was able to tweak my outlines to the needs to the class because of it (i.e. add certain policy arguments, emphasize points, etc.)

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:13 am

The guy on that NYT article is from Thomas Jefferson Law School. The article isn't very accurate.

megadeth317

New

Post by megadeth317 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 am

This makes me feel better about doing well this semester (and really stupid for not making time to do it last semester). I started practice tests the day before the exam. Stupid.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:56 am

Seems as if the Williams College study suggests that quarter and trimester systems might be better for learning than semester systems due to more frequent testing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”