what to make of this [gunners talking MORE after grades?] Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

what to make of this [gunners talking MORE after grades?]

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 pm

so my section doesn't necessarily have gunners in the typical sense of the word, but there are some that we could all tell were of the gunner-variety. I expected, as I have read on here many times, that these people would not talk as much after grades came out. Theyre still talking. Some are talking even MORE. is this to say that these annoying people did really really well and have more confidence in their ability to impress professors

megaTTTron

Silver

Re: what to make of this [gunners talking MORE after grades?]

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

that suuuuuucks.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, the gunners are talking more now at my school too. Although we had a gunner shut down badly by a prof on consecutive days now so that gave me some comical relief. One of these "shut down" moments was the prof simply saying "No, No thats not right at all actually." and then just calling on someone else before the gunner was able to respond. A friend of mine in a different section told me that apparently one of their gunners started arguing with a prof in the first day about how a concept works. The FIRST DAY! I know you read your little E&E over break but this is a prof who TEACHES the class!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:25 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yeah, the gunners are talking more now at my school too. Although we had a gunner shut down badly by a prof on consecutive days now so that gave me some comical relief. One of these "shut down" moments was the prof simply saying "No, No thats not right at all actually." and then just calling on someone else before the gunner was able to respond. A friend of mine in a different section told me that apparently one of their gunners started arguing with a prof in the first day about how a concept works. The FIRST DAY! I know you read your little E&E over break but this is a prof who TEACHES the class!
My favorite shutdown:

"This case is pretty simple." -- Con Law Student
"Well, I actually think this is one of the most difficult cases in constitutional law. So you teach me." -- Con Law Professor, aka one of the smartest guys I think most of us have had the pleasure of learning from.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yeah, the gunners are talking more now at my school too. Although we had a gunner shut down badly by a prof on consecutive days now so that gave me some comical relief. One of these "shut down" moments was the prof simply saying "No, No thats not right at all actually." and then just calling on someone else before the gunner was able to respond. A friend of mine in a different section told me that apparently one of their gunners started arguing with a prof in the first day about how a concept works. The FIRST DAY! I know you read your little E&E over break but this is a prof who TEACHES the class!
hahah omg ridiculous.

maybe they think they did badly because they didnt gun hard enough last time..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:48 pm

goosey wrote:
hahah omg ridiculous.

We had a pretty epic gunner throw-down today that also involved obnoxious challenges to the professor in the first week.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
My favorite shutdown:

"Well, I actually think this is one of the most difficult cases in constitutional law. So you teach me." -- Con Law Professor, aka one of the smartest guys I think most of us have had the pleasure of learning from.
Haha, which case was it?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
My favorite shutdown:

Haha, which case was it?
I forget now. It was last semester, pretty early on IIRC.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Gunner fail stories are the best distraction from F5 refreshing my transcript. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Bronte wrote:
goosey wrote:
hahah omg ridiculous.

We had a pretty epic gunner throw-down today that also involved obnoxious challenges to the professor in the first week.
On the other hand, I do enjoy having fifteen minute sections of class where I don't have to pay attention and can use the time to pay my bills and do summer job research.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:On the other hand, I do enjoy having fifteen minute sections of class where I don't have to pay attention and can use the time to pay my bills and do summer job research.
Yeah there was ample opportunity for that today.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Happened my 1L year too. Just wait, those who talk all the time and brag about grades often don't end up on law review. Grades from 1s semester to second fluctuate like crazy (my GPA went up by .35), and I'm sure that means peoples went down by that much as well.

While the gunners spend time figuring out how to impress the class, those who sucked first semester (me) are in the library studying for the final and sounding like idiots in class because they don't give a shit about some small thing in the case that has little to do with anything that'll ever be tested.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

0L here with a "gunner"-related question.

Is a gunner one who speaks more than the average student, appears eager, sits up front etc.
Or someone who does so in a d-bag manner

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

kwais wrote:0L here with a "gunner"-related question.

Is a gunner one who speaks more than the average student, appears eager, sits up front etc.
You're walking a dangerous path even asking that question. Just shut up and listen to the prof. Spoke when spoken to. If you think you definitely have something of value to add, you almost certainly don't. Anyone who knows what they are doing knows they don't need to advertise it.
Last edited by let/them/eat/cake on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 pm

The rule of thumb is if you're asking what a gunner is it is likely that you are doing all that stuff and are a gunner.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

i sit in the front row..I always sit in the front two rows unless others filled up the area before me. My self-diagnosed ADD forces me be up front where the professor will see me if I start texting or typing while there is obviously nothing to type.

*not a gunner*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

There are a handful of gunners in my section and I'm really curious to see next week which ones will shut up. But I think some will just gun harder. They'll think they didn't get good grades because they didn't ask enough questions. I'm dreading that.

To the 0l with the question about what a gunner is: you will see in the first couple weeks of class.

blackdragons

New

Post by blackdragons » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Our Con law class got one too. He just always express his personal opinion without offering any legal analysis. such as: I think Case X is unfair, Professor respond: Didn't the court actually give the reason Y? Gunner: NO, it is unfair. It reminds me the GTM described the scene that two kids are fighting by yelling at each other "Will", "Will not". In addition, during the final review section, he had this 10 mins argument with professor because he disagree with the Supreme Court. Good Lord, it is THE FINAL REVIEW!!!!!!!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm

I start on Tuesday. This thread makes me afraid, very afraid.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Barbell, does the person who got shut down have a nickname? And was this in Con law?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:

Your walking a dangerous path even asking that question. Just shut up and listen to the prof. Spoke when spoken to. If you think you definitely have something of value to add, you almost certainly don't. Anyone who knows what they are doing knows they don't need to advertise it.
I think this is a bit exaggerated on TLS. In my experience, it really depends on the class. In a class where a professor heavily uses traditional Socratic method, you should really only be speaking when spoken because it really interrupts the flow. However, some professors ask a lot of open-ended questions, and most students readily participate voluntarily. If they didn't, the class wouldn't function, and the professor would get mad.

I think a key characteristic of a gunner is that they simply have no sense of what's appropriate. They ask questions that are impertinent. They raise their hand to give an opinion when enough opinions have obviously already been given. They continue a one-on-one convo with a professor when the professor clearly considers it to be over. Etc.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Bronte wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

Your walking a dangerous path even asking that question. Just shut up and listen to the prof. Spoke when spoken to. If you think you definitely have something of value to add, you almost certainly don't. Anyone who knows what they are doing knows they don't need to advertise it.
I think this is a bit exaggerated on TLS. In my experience, it really depends on the class. In a class where a professor heavily uses traditional Socratic method, you should really only be speaking when spoken because it really interrupts the flow. However, some professors ask a lot of open-ended questions, and most students readily participate voluntarily. If they didn't, the class wouldn't function, and the professor would get mad.

I think a key characteristic of a gunner is that they simply have no sense of what's appropriate. They ask questions that are impertinent. They raise their hand to give an opinion when enough opinions have obviously already been given. They continue a one-on-one convo with a professor when the professor clearly considers it to be over. Etc.
I agree. I speak in class once in a while and know others that do the same that are in no way annoying--stupid comments are the problem. Also, when you're in the same classes as everyone else, you know what the professor in class x has said...and so when a person raised their hand in class y to regurgitate the ideas of the professor in an attempt to impree professor of class y, its so ridiculous. especially when professor of class y shoots him down.

what i find more annoying than anything is when someone is blatantly trying to impress the professor and those around them. Like a genuine answer is welcome..but dont be annoying

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

it's weird, i'm having the opposite experience

the gunners are quieting down, and the people who have no idea what is going on are starting to speak up more, and one guy especially who I know did pretty bad (talked to him about it), he raises his hand all the time now, and when he talks he tries to sound all sophisticated and knowledgeable, turns his chair sideways to cross his legs, does the hand on chin thing, etc...

wtf?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

uwb09 wrote:it's weird, i'm having the opposite experience

the gunners are quieting down, and the people who have no idea what is going on are starting to speak up more, and one guy especially who I know did pretty bad (talked to him about it), he raises his hand all the time now, and when he talks he tries to sound all sophisticated and knowledgeable, turns his chair sideways to cross his legs, does the hand on chin thing, etc...

wtf?

i lol'd

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”