What class ranking would you be happy with? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What class ranking would you be happy with?

Top 1%
9%
Top 2%
1%
Top 5%
7%
Top 7.5%
3%
Top 10%
14%
Top 15%
4%
Top 20%
9%
Top 25%
18%
Top 30%
22%
Top 50%
13%

Total votes: 223

jbarl1

Silver

What class ranking would you be happy with?

Post by jbarl1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 pm

The title kind of says it all...what percentile would you be happy with? Grades just came out at my school so I was just wondering :)

Edit: I added Top 20%, but I left in Top 7.5% because it is one that my school lists in the percentile charts that it publishes
Last edited by jbarl1 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KMaine

Silver

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Post by KMaine » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Perhaps take out Top 7.5% and put in Top 20%?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Number one or bust.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Top 75% and I'd stay in school.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm

by happy, do you mean "100%" happy, or "i haven't completely screwed over my career" happy or what?

If i don't get the top grade in every class, even as delusional as that is, I'm not gonna be completely happy, because I see that as a missed opportunity.

But if I finish top 25% I'm not gonna complain about it, but i'll still be a little upset that I didn't do as good as I felt I could have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

top 5ish or drop out, duh

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I think I accidentally erased the votes when I changed the numbers in the poll...sorry! Please re-vote!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Top 20% for this semester. Would make moving into the top 10% a legitimate possibility. Top 1/4th and below I'll be disappointed with myself.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 pm

As long as I can remain in school, I'd be happy but my vote really doesn't mean squat considering I'm only going to law school to find a possible second career. I'm too old for the Big Law BS and stress. I'd be happy doing menial public interest work. Don't have the same concerns about money (government's paying for it all, prior military) and I didn't want to sit on my seat warmer twiddling my thumbs wondering what if for the rest of my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I say top 5% based on the info I have about 50% of my K's grade. If I fall out of the top 10%, I basically bombed the last half of my contracts class.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Whatever rank gets me a damn job will make me happy!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.
:shock: It's like you read my mind!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

We're just keenly aware of how to win the lawl school game at Woostle.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

We're just keenly aware of how to win the lawl school game at Woostle.
The hundreds of hours of research on this very subject burned it into my brain

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 pm

I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top10% ......... [100%] 23436256736
Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:11 pm

before exams: top 25%
after exams: will sacrifice a lamb if I'm anywhere close to median

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I would be ecstatic to be in the top 10%.
I would be somewhat happy to be top quarter.
Anything below that would make me very very unhappy.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

exactly

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0
Geist13 wrote:before exams: top 25%
This and this, for sure. Some of the most confident people I knew before LS have not fared as well as expected. I also know a lot of people who felt good all semester about the material, and but after the exam they were saying they would kill for median. Many people who felt awesome after the exam were unpleasantly surprised when grades come back.

It really is impossible to know how you will do in law school, and anyone who banks on finishing at a certain level and is willing to drop a huge sum of money on a bad school because they just know they're gonna kill it in law school is nuts.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0
Geist13 wrote:before exams: top 25%
This and this, for sure. Some of the most confident people I knew before LS have not fared as well as expected. I also know a lot of people who felt good all semester about the material, and but after the exam they were saying they would kill for median. Many people who felt awesome after the exam were unpleasantly surprised when grades come back.

It really is impossible to know how you will do in law school, and anyone who banks on finishing at a certain level and is willing to drop a huge sum of money on a bad school because they just know they're gonna kill it in law school is nuts.
The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Geist13 wrote:The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).
Breathe easy for now and don't stress. I cannot even describe how badly I thought I screwed up contracts (I wrote one sentence for one of the policy questions and I missed at least 4 of the 20 short answer). Yet I still got above median and am very pleased with my semester overall. I have talked to so many people who have felt like crap and done well and vice-versa. So don't freak out.

If you get your grades and they suck, then you can commence the fretting. But until then, just try to keep your sanity and don't get too down (easier said than done, I admit).

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Geist13 wrote:The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).
Breathe easy for now and don't stress. I cannot even describe how badly I thought I screwed up contracts (I wrote one sentence for one of the policy questions and I missed at least 4 of the 20 short answer). Yet I still got above median and am very pleased with my semester overall. I have talked to so many people who have felt like crap and done well and vice-versa. So don't freak out.

If you get your grades and they suck, then you can commence the fretting. But until then, just try to keep your sanity and don't get too down (easier said than done, I admit).
Credited. Although it's hard to take that advice.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Oh definitely. I'm not even too stressed. I really enjoyed the semester and did my best. Now I have an entire semester and the opportunity to make the necessary changes.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Vote: top 10%
Real life: probably top 30-ish % :oops: :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”