Applying to Firms Now for 1L Work Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Applying to Firms Now for 1L Work

Post by lawschooliseasy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 am

Is it still worth if if you have high grades or did I totally miss the train?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Re: Applying to Firms Now for 1L Work

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:15 am

Definitely still worth it.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

Why do people ever ask these questions? What could you possibly have to lose by trying? It's not even the end of January lol.

disclaimer: I understand you 1L's are scared, naive, etc... but please have some common sense. That isn't a law school thing it's a life thing.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:46 pm

I plan on applying soon, but I'm kicking myself for not applying earlier. My thought was I didn't even want to bother until I had grades, cause otherwise I am probably wasting my time (and it was time I didn't want to waste, with finals coming up and all). Now I have my grades and I wish I would have made an effort to just apply to a few places in my school's market. Oh well, like others have said, there is no reason not to try.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Why do people ever ask these questions? What could you possibly have to lose by trying? It's not even the end of January lol.

disclaimer: I understand you 1L's are scared, naive, etc... but please have some common sense. That isn't a law school thing it's a life thing.
TBF a lot of people said Dec 1 or bust.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Why do people ever ask these questions? What could you possibly have to lose by trying? It's not even the end of January lol.

TBF a lot of people said Dec 1 or bust.
There is still nothing to be lost (and everything to be gained) from applying now.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah I mean... I feel like if a firm is looking at people who applied December 1, but then got their grades and they weren't as stellar as expected, and then they get some applications rolling in around now with people who have received pretty good grades, then there has to be SOME hope, right?

The thing is, firms take on so few 1L summers as it is, that there is BOUND to be some applicants who applied early AND ended up killing it first semester, so yeah...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm

traehekat wrote:Yeah I mean... I feel like if a firm is looking at people who applied December 1, but then got their grades and they weren't as stellar as expected, and then they get some applications rolling in around now with people who have received pretty good grades, then there has to be SOME hope, right?

The thing is, firms take on so few 1L summers as it is, that there is BOUND to be some applicants who applied early AND ended up killing it first semester, so yeah...
1L summer hiring is dumb for firms, which is why a lot of good firms don't do it.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 pm

i have heard that they do not hire 1ls for summer positions in Phoenix...is there a way to find out? How do I know which firms might hire a 1l? etc...I feel so out of the loop. Our school set up stuff for us for clerkships and internships but really with actual firms mostly government or policy institutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm

MSUPHL wrote:i have heard that they do not hire 1ls for summer positions in Phoenix...is there a way to find out? How do I know which firms might hire a 1l? etc...I feel so out of the loop. Our school set up stuff for us for clerkships and internships but really with actual firms mostly government or policy institutes.
search the nalp employer directories. if you do an advanced search, you can narrow your results to firms that hire 1Ls. however, the results will of course be limited to only those firms that are on nalp.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

traehekat wrote:
MSUPHL wrote:i have heard that they do not hire 1ls for summer positions in Phoenix...is there a way to find out? How do I know which firms might hire a 1l? etc...I feel so out of the loop. Our school set up stuff for us for clerkships and internships but really with actual firms mostly government or policy institutes.
search the nalp employer directories. if you do an advanced search, you can narrow your results to firms that hire 1Ls. however, the results will of course be limited to only those firms that are on nalp.
thank you sir/ma'am

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
traehekat wrote:
thank you sir/ma'am
i need a more gender-obvious user name, like BigDude44 or AwesomeGuy32.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 pm

I was told smaller to mid size firms don't typically hire until around spring. Any truth to this?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I was told smaller to mid size firms don't typically hire until around spring. Any truth to this?
Depends what you mean by mid-size firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”