Why BigLaw? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

Why BigLaw?

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am

I have to write a ps about why I want big law and I cant think of a reason aside from i want to buy pretty shoes and I want to be able to open doors for my career.

I have a feelign I need to have some grand emotional reason---wth should I say. "I want $$$$$$$$!!!"--->thats the only realistic reason and I feel like saying otherwise would be such clear BS

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Why BigLaw?

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 am

goosey wrote:I have to write a ps about why I want big law and I cant think of a reason aside from i want to buy pretty shoes and I want to be able to open doors for my career.

I have a feelign I need to have some grand emotional reason---wth should I say. "I want $$$$$$$$!!!"--->thats the only realistic reason and I feel like saying otherwise would be such clear BS

High level training, access to high level clients and work, availablity of better exit options, potential segway into government work, large network to build upon, desire to work in and for a large institution....

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

goosey wrote: and I want to be able to open doors for my career.
emphasize this.
reasonable_man wrote:High level training, access to high level clients and work, availablity of better exit options, potential segway into government work, large network to build upon, desire to work in and for a large institution....
using this.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 am

reasonable_man wrote:potential segway into government work
--ImageRemoved--

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:potential segway into government work
--ImageRemoved--
Hopefully as literal as the pic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 am

Darn you, Anonymous Loser - you beat me to the pic! (shakes tiny fist)

Homestyle28, if you do decide to use that phrase in your PS, be aware that it's actually spelled "segue".

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Darn you, Anonymous Loser - you beat me to the pic! (shakes tiny fist)

Homestyle28, if you do decide to use that phrase in your PS, be aware that it's actually spelled "segue".
Unless I mean an actual, two-wheeled personal transportation device ;) That would make for an awesome PS.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

homestyle28 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Darn you, Anonymous Loser - you beat me to the pic! (shakes tiny fist)

Unless I mean an actual, two-wheeled personal transportation device ;) That would make for an awesome PS.
lol I can only imagine what the adcomms would say about that. I'd admit you just for making me laugh.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 am

ITT homestyle outs himself as future NU student.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:ITT homestyle outs himself as future NU student.
You don't think they'll give me need-based aid if I let them know I'll blow it on a segway?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 am

One of the few reasons I'd actually consider Big Law, is the ability to seriously become obsessively knowledgeable in an area of the law. Working 60-80 hours a week in a specialization at a very high level, you will become to know the law pretty damn well. Being the nerd I am, this is kind of attractive.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

uwb09 wrote:One of the few reasons I'd actually consider Big Law, is the ability to seriously become obsessively knowledgeable in an area of the law. Working 60-80 hours a week in a specialization at a very high level, you will become to know the law pretty damn well. Being the nerd I am, this is kind of attractive.
If you think reading and classifying documents, and noting them in a spreadsheet is a specialty, then yes.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Renzo wrote:
uwb09 wrote:One of the few reasons I'd actually consider Big Law, is the ability to seriously become obsessively knowledgeable in an area of the law. Working 60-80 hours a week in a specialization at a very high level, you will become to know the law pretty damn well. Being the nerd I am, this is kind of attractive.
If you think reading and classifying documents, and noting them in a spreadsheet is a specialty, then yes.
So you wanna be a doc review superstar?
And live large, a big house, 225K debt, you're in charge
Comin' up in the world don't trust no body
Gotta look over your shoulder constantly

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
thanks, got my big-law interview opening line set

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
Spreadsheet? What kind of failfirm uses spreadsheets and doesn't have an electronic document tagging system?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 pm

paratactical wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Spreadsheet? What kind of failfirm uses spreadsheets and doesn't have an electronic document tagging system?
Don't you dare ruin my perfectly good snark by pointing out the hyperbole in it.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Wow. 180!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Renzo wrote:
paratactical wrote:Spreadsheet? What kind of failfirm uses spreadsheets and doesn't have an electronic document tagging system?
Don't you dare ruin my perfectly good snark by pointing out the hyperbole in it.
Sorry, jabroni, didn't mean to trash yoy game. :wink:

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Lol. Just Lol.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:14 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Lol. Just Lol.
sorry your experience sucked, I have an immediate family member who has worked at a V100 for 20 years, and a first cousin who has worked at a V20 in Chicago and DC the last 5 years, and their experience, along with other lawyer they work with, lean towards my opinion

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

uwb09 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Lol. Just Lol.
sorry your experience sucked, I have an immediate family member who has worked at a V100 for 20 years, and a first cousin who has worked at a V20 in Chicago and DC the last 5 years, and their experience, along with other lawyer they work with, lean towards my opinion
My experience has a gangsta lean.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

JazzOne wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Lol. Just Lol.
My experience has a gangsta lean.
don't be hatin

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Renzo wrote:
<3

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 pm

uwb09 wrote: sorry your experience sucked, I have an immediate family member who has worked at a V100 for 20 years, and a first cousin who has worked at a V20 in Chicago and DC the last 5 years, and their experience, along with other lawyer they work with, lean towards my opinion
What makes you think it takes BigLaw to become an "expert" in an area of law? The hours? That's not really a strong case, for some obvious reasons (same hours for less pay elsewhere, hours =/= hours spent acquiring expertise, etc). I guarantee you that just about every lawyer practicing is pretty expert-y in the area they practice in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”