Legal Memo advice for 1L? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smr00

New

Legal Memo advice for 1L?

Post by smr00 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers/advice on how to write legal memos. My entire grade for one of our courses is based upon a legal memo and I want to make sure that I know how to write these well. We handed in a nongraded version and just had them returned by our professor-i was slightly disappointed with my performance. I thought I wrote a decent memo but apparently it was just average with some organizational/structural problems. What is the best way to practice these? Are there any sites that provide examples of the "good" and the "bad"? Any books people recommend?
Any help would be appreciated!!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:50 pm

ktlulu1

New

Post by ktlulu1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Do you have a textbook for your class? That should probably have a fairly decent layout of the structure and organization of a memo. If not, our textbook is pretty decent. It is: Robin Wellford Slocum, "Legal Reasoning, Writing and Persuasive Argument" , 2nd edition

It has examples of memos and gives pretty good details about different approaches to the sections of the memo.

I don't really use it much, though, because our professor has been very specific about the exact format for our memos. I think the best thing you can really do is try to replicate exactly what your professor has told you to do in class. I haven't found any useful websites. I looked for about 5 minutes the other day and got bored...

Smart4anIdiot

New

Post by Smart4anIdiot » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:29 pm

The writing TA's are the most useful help I've found. Come prepared with specific questions and they almost always help you work through your problems and show you how to improve your writing.

AR75

New

Post by AR75 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:05 am

My text by Suzanne Rowe has a perfect example of a legal memo, complete with a chapter in the text devoted to its analysis and structure. Your text should be similar. If not, your TA or professor gets paid good money to teach you what you want to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Legal Memo advice for 1L?

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Why not redact your writing and either post it or PM it to me. I'll take a look if you like..

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Why not redact your writing and either post it or PM it to me. I'll take a look if you like..
lol

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:06 pm

apper123 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Why not redact your writing and either post it or PM it to me. I'll take a look if you like..
lol
I missed the joke?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 pm

betasteve wrote:Honor code stuff, I think....
If its been graded already, I don't really see where the honor code violation comes in, unless he has to hand it back in as another draft.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 pm

If you want some worksheets you can look at, I can download the ones we used from TWEN and link you to them. The examples will be specific to our issue, but I think you should be able to glean plenty of useful information from them.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
apper123 wrote:
lol
I missed the joke?
yep
nope

here's a hint: see date of the OP

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:32 pm

hmm wonder why this came as a new post? weird.

Hope he figured it out lol

Nietzsche_Addy

New

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't know why I thought of this right now, but it has been bugging me since I started law school. Did everyone besides me learn in undergrad that there should be two spaces after every sentence? I lost a few points on the first memo because I only used one space between sentences. When I talked to my friends about it, they looked at me like I was crazy. I wrote a lot of papers in undergrad and never had a problem.

The double space technique is ingrained now, but I am still curious about this. Any takers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I don't know why I thought of this right now, but it has been bugging me since I started law school. Did everyone besides me learn in undergrad that there should be two spaces after every sentence? I lost a few points on the first memo because I only used one space between sentences. When I talked to my friends about it, they looked at me like I was crazy. I wrote a lot of papers in undergrad and never had a problem.

The double space technique is ingrained now, but I am still curious about this. Any takers?
I knew a few people in UG who would argue that it should only be one space. They were, of course, wrong.

Nietzsche_Addy

New

Post by Nietzsche_Addy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 pm

bees wrote:I knew a few people in UG who would argue that it should only be one space. They were, of course, wrong.
Did your profs actually mention/require the double spacing? I seriously had never heard of it before LW. Now I'm wondering what other fundamentals I didn't learn in undergrad.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:
bees wrote:I knew a few people in UG who would argue that it should only be one space. They were, of course, wrong.
Did your profs actually mention/require the double spacing? I seriously had never heard of it before LW. Now I'm wondering what other fundamentals I didn't learn in undergrad.
You're not crazy . . . according to wikipedia Chicago manual of style calls for 1 space after periods and MLA allows for 1 or 2

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:05 pm

AP style is one. The entire internet uses one. I still use two, but it makes me feel inferior sometimes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 pm

I use 1. I think 2 is an archaic method originating from typewriters. I have never used 2 in my life. It's worth noting one of my majors in college was English too, and no professor ever said anything to me about it.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm

There should be two spaces after a period if it ends a sentence, but one space after the period in an abbreviation. Otherwise it would be ambiguous when the word after the abbreviation was a proper noun and thus capitalized.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Nietzsche_Addy wrote:I don't know why I thought of this right now, but it has been bugging me since I started law school. Did everyone besides me learn in undergrad that there should be two spaces after every sentence? I lost a few points on the first memo because I only used one space between sentences. When I talked to my friends about it, they looked at me like I was crazy. I wrote a lot of papers in undergrad and never had a problem.

It's one space for variable-width fonts (Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial, etc.) and two spaces for fixed-width fonts (Courier New). That's the rule, and I think Strunk & White may agree, but I haven't checked.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm

engineer wrote:

It's one space for variable-width fonts (Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial, etc.) and two spaces for fixed-width fonts (Courier New). That's the rule, and I think Strunk & White may agree, but I haven't checked.
I have been meaning to read a wiki article about fonts. Is Times the same as Times New Roman? I think I'm going to read up a bit...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:40 pm

betasteve wrote:I use 2. I will forever use 2. I feel superior.
My bitch-scribe uses 2. My bitch-scribe will forever be my bitch-scribe. I am superior.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 pm

engineer wrote:

I didn't know that. I thought some disciplines preferred "one" over "two" and vice versa. Thank goodness legal writing requires using 2 spaces. I'm always happy to do whatever I can to make my papers longer--they're always so short :( .

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 pm

I always chuckle when I hear law students or lawyers discuss the honor code. :wink:

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 am

In every legal brief I've worked on and filed (as a paralegal), 2 spaces after every period ending a sentence and after every colon. TNR font.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”