Casebook summaries for my 2nd semester courses Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RP1983

Bronze

Casebook summaries for my 2nd semester courses

Post by RP1983 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Ok, I am obviously not reading through every case in the textbook because I realized it was a waste, and was able to do fine without doing so. Here are my second semester classes, with the casebook and author.

Constitutional Law (Stone)

Contracts: A contemporary Approach (Kunz)

Criminal Law (Kaplan)

Propery (Cribbet)

Can anyone reccommend any case summaries for these casebooks, or even online briefs where I may be able to look stuff up. I would like to be prepared for this, prior to starting the semester. It would greatly benefit me. Thanks alot.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Re: Casebook summaries for my 2nd semester courses

Post by uzpakalis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:10 pm

I just googled the cases last semester. I found briefs for at least 90% of my assigned cases.

RP1983

Bronze

Post by RP1983 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:30 pm

This is what I did too. But for one of my classes, I couldnt find any cases. I wanted to make sure I won't have that same problem this year.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Our Con Law class used Stone this past semester. It's pretty god awful in terms of organization to assist in someone learning the topic for the first time. It likes to go on interesting intellectual tangents, but the problem is it assumes you know the basic stuff, which it doesn't really teach you. Our professor did a good job of assigning the page numbers in the most understandable way, since the casebook can be pretty non-chronological at times (wickard v. filburn is like the 2 or 3 commerce clause case it gives, which is WAAAAAAY out of order...and they do this so it can go off on an interesting tangent).

^tldr? Buy Chemerinsky and read the appropriate sections in Chemersinky before reading the assigned part in Stone.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Our Con Law class used Stone this past semester. It's pretty god awful in terms of organization to assist in someone learning the topic for the first time. It likes to go on interesting intellectual tangents, but the problem is it assumes you know the basic stuff, which it doesn't really teach you. Our professor did a good job of assigning the page numbers in the most understandable way, since the casebook can be pretty non-chronological at times (wickard v. filburn is like the 2 or 3 commerce clause case it gives, which is WAAAAAAY out of order...and they do this so it can go off on an interesting tangent).

^tldr? Buy Chemerinsky and read the appropriate sections in Chemersinky before reading the assigned part in Stone.
Stone basically tells you to read 10 million law review articles from the 1940s for every topic discussed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”