1L's -- you stress far too much Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pandacot

Bronze

1L's -- you stress far too much

Post by pandacot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Do you really think someone pinpointed every issue? No.

Chill out.

I walked out of an exam thinking that I absolutely failed. The fact pattern seemed convoluted and nonsensical. I wrote some bullshit that I had memorized from my outline.

I got an A.

Seriously, don't beat yourself up. Your grade will turn out fine (well, some of you will fail :D )

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: 1L's -- you stress far too much

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:16 pm

pandacot wrote:Do you really think someone pinpointed every issue? No.

Chill out.

I walked out of an exam thinking that I absolutely failed. The fact pattern seemed convoluted and nonsensical. I wrote some bullshit that I had memorized from my outline.

I got an A.

Seriously, don't beat yourself up. Your grade will turn out fine (well, some of you will fail :D )
This is why we can't chill out.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

You should chill out. Prepare, but don't kill yourself. Take the exam calmly, and worry-free. Get plenty of sleep, and you'll probably do better in comparison to your classmates because your brain isn't running in stress mode.

Also, you should know that you can't possibly know it all. Seriously. Not gonna happen.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm

(well, some of you will fail :D )

I posted that part just to be an ass.

Seriously, if you studied/memorized and read/understood how to write a law exam (see Arrow's posts), then you'll do fine.

From what I've seen, the difference between top 10% and top 30% is not a lot when it comes to OCI.
Last edited by pandacot on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm

macattaq wrote:You should chill out. Prepare, but don't kill yourself. Take the exam calmly, and worry-free.

THIS! I took my first law exam on caffeine pills. I was stressed and worried. Got my only B+.

Took all the rest of exams like I didn't give a shit and would just do my best. Got A's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm

pandacot wrote:I posted that part just to be an ass.

Seriously, if you studied/memorized and read/understood how to write a law exam (see Arrow's posts), then you'll do fine.

From what I've seen, the difference between top 10% and top 30% is not a lot when it comes to OCI.
^...and you go to what school?

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
pandacot wrote:I posted that part just to be an ass.

^...and you go to what school?
Michigan

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:27 pm

pandacot wrote:(well, some of you will fail :D )

It makes a huge difference at other LS

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:38 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
pandacot wrote:(well, some of you will fail :D )

It makes a huge difference at other LS
Dunno. I transferred, but the same held true at Toledo. I know 30% kids who got offers just as good as 10% or even 5%.

Anyway, I think 1L's stress too much about missing a couple points on exams. It's easy to overestimate how well other may have done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:44 pm

As a neurotic 1L, this is how I feel.

I worked hard every minute that I could in prep. for exams. I did it all, outlines, commercial outlines, study groups, ect.

Point is, like most 1Ls I worked very hard. Because of that, I will accept whatever grades I get. Whatever happens, happens. Some things happen for a reason.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Chill out.

I got an A.

Nothing personal but here is my actual thought process when I read stuff like this.
1. Who the fu** is this person?
2. On what basis are they giving me advice? They got an A? An A in what? An A on a forced curve? An A with what median?
3. If it was an A on a forced curve, how many students were in thier class? Do they even go to a reputable school? Do they have shit for classmates?
4. Did they just get lucky? How could I know?
5. Are they being humble? Are they a genious? Are they a future SCOUTS justice acting like they weren't prepared when in reality they studied harder than everyone else at a level of retention greater than everyone else at a level of insight and depth superior to everyone else?

Basically, your comment means absolutely NOTHING without a context, background information, your personal history, an evaluation of your personality, and the same for your classmates, school, professor, class, etc.

So. Sorry to be mean, but all I hear from posts like this are "Hey guys, someone once got an A and they claimed it was easy! So don't stress! YAAYY!"

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:02 pm

I feel like the 1L exam stress is a right of passage.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:07 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Chill out.

I got an A.

Nothing personal but here is my actual thought process when I read stuff like this.
2. On what basis are they giving me advice? They got an A? An A in what? An A on a forced curve? An A with what median?
3. If it was an A on a forced curve, how many students were in thier class? Do they even go to a reputable school? Do they have shit for classmates?
5. Are they being humble? Are they a genious? Are they a future SCOUTS justice acting like they weren't prepared when in reality they studied harder than everyone else at a level of retention greater than everyone else at a level of insight and depth superior to everyone else?

Basically, your comment means absolutely NOTHING without a context, background information, your personal history, an evaluation of your personality, and the same for your classmates, school, professor, class, etc.

So. Sorry to be mean, but all I hear from posts like this are "Hey guys, someone once got an A and they claimed it was easy! So don't stress! YAAYY!"
Okay, this person more than anyone, is stressing far too much. This is an online forum (compared to whatever exam is making you lose your mind). Chill. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Chill out.

I got an A.

Okay, this person more than anyone, is stressing far too much. This is an online forum (compared to whatever exam is making you lose your mind). Chill. 8)
And get this.. im DONE with my exams! haha.

My point is not to contend with op' conclusion "Don' stress." I am not stressed at all actually. My point is that *edit* op's post isn't at all convincing.
Last edited by cavebat2000 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Chill out.

I got an A.

And get this.. im DONE with my exams! haha.
It's cool. We all totally understand the anxiety of waiting for grades. This is just our misplaced attempt to make you all heed the advice we ignored/ were unable to take, etc. Just realize everyone is/ was in the exact same boat. The hardest part is over though. First semester is craazzzy.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:27 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Chill out.

I got an A.

True, but the fact that nearly every thread started like this has similar stories and guidance from 2L+'s should eventually start to mean something.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:Nothing personal but here is my actual thought process when I read stuff like this.

TITCR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:35 am

All I will say is that hindsight is 20/20.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:25 pm

cavebat2000 wrote: Nothing personal but here is my actual thought process when I read stuff like this.

lulzy. tyft.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:41 pm

pandacot wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote: Nothing personal but here is my actual thought process when I read stuff like this.

lulzy. tyft.
Noticed you didn't answer any of his questions.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? By Michigan, did you mean Michigan State? Are you a lucky, yet humble, genious or what, dude?

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Chill out.

I got an A.

I think the OP's point was just proven.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
pandacot wrote:

lulzy. tyft.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? By Michigan, did you mean Michigan State? Are you a lucky, yet humble, genious or what, dude?
I enjoyed this as well! I really wanna change my name to 'genious' now

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:25 pm

YOU SHUT UP OP!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 pm

pandacot wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
pandacot wrote:

lulzy. tyft.

I enjoyed this as well! I really wanna change my name to 'genious' now
When you fulfill your destiny of becoming a SCOUTS justice, I'll see that the mod team grants your name change request.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Sounds like a credit card application

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”