employment prospects for wustl bottom 30%? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dudnaito

Bronze

employment prospects for wustl bottom 30%?

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:34 pm

I know I should consult the career center, and I will, but from what I've heard in the past, they seem a bit too optimistic.

I had a very rough first semester, and only got on the law school studying warpath in the last month or so. I don't think i failed as that's almost impossible, but my performance will be subpar to say the least. I'm not looking for BigLaw; I'm just looking for something reasonable whatever that means, public/private sphere, doesn't matter, and I don't really mind what city i go to either. I go to WUSTL btw.

Diamond

Re: employment prospects for wustl bottom 30%?

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 pm

dudnaito wrote:I know I should consult the career center, and I will, but from what I've heard in the past, they seem a bit too optimistic.

I had a very rough first semester, and only got on the law school studying warpath in the last month or so. I don't think i failed as that's almost impossible, but my performance will be subpar to say the least. I'm not looking for BigLaw; I'm just looking for something reasonable whatever that means, public/private sphere, doesn't matter, and I don't really mind what city i go to either. I go to WUSTL btw.
If you studied hard the last month you are probably fine, or at least as fine as you'd be if you studied all semester.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dudnaito wrote:I know I should consult the career center, and I will, but from what I've heard in the past, they seem a bit too optimistic.

If you studied hard the last month you are probably fine, or at least as fine as you'd be if you studied all semester.
i got that impression after covering 500 pages in 4 days for one course, being confused as hell, then realizing I'd still be confused as hell if I did this for 3 1/2 months. I'm pretty sure I failed legal research methodologies, but it's worth 1/2 credit per semester, so I might have to retake. Barring that though and what my family and I went through, I'm just hoping to survive this semester.

My question though was about my employment prospects. Obviously I'm not looking for anything exact in nature, just .... something. Honestly, I just want to practice law for a couple of years, and see where it takes me, so i'm not exactly shooting for the stars. I'm just looking for something respectable.

Hell, I'll probably try to open up a restaurant or something within 5 years of graduation.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I notice you are constantly making statements like these. How can you say that if you have not gotten any grades back? At all?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 pm

dudnaito wrote:Barring that though and what my family and I went through, I'm just hoping to survive this semester
If you had a major family problem, have you considered talking to the administration before your grades come out and see if you could withdraw and start over next fall? It sounds like something really messed up your 1L that was out of your control. I don't know if schools actually do stuff like this, but it might be worth talking to someone in the administration.

Normally, I'd say "wait for grades" and maybe you actually did really well, but this sounds like something beyond that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I notice you are constantly making statements like these. How can you say that if you have not gotten any grades back? At all?
Because the material isn't that difficult to master. The last solid month is everything.

I know at least a couple upperclassmen who did extremely well without gunning the whole semester.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Because the material isn't that difficult to master. The last solid month is everything.

I know at least a couple upperclassmen who did extremely well without gunning the whole semester.
Cool. I am excited to hear about your good grades =)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I didn't say law school is easy or that I'll do well. Just that work you do early in the semester is useless. I don't think I'm working harder than everyone else this last month.

The material is easy, and doesn't take months to learn. The application is the hard part.

But I can tell you that the super amazing brief someone was working on in October was useless.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm

keg411 wrote:
dudnaito wrote:Barring that though and what my family and I went through, I'm just hoping to survive this semester
If you had a major family problem, have you considered talking to the administration before your grades come out and see if you could withdraw and start over next fall? It sounds like something really messed up your 1L that was out of your control. I don't know if schools actually do stuff like this, but it might be worth talking to someone in the administration.

Normally, I'd say "wait for grades" and maybe you actually did really well, but this sounds like something beyond that.
We did discuss that option, but I was the one that said no... i invested far too much money and time on this to just forgo another year of my life and at 26, i'll be 28/29 when i graduate. I did accept an extension for my contracts exam, so i'll have another 3 days or so to study. And forgive me for being so repetitive but I was never aiming for BigLaw or anything particularly prestigious. We're obviously no T-14 but WUSTL still has some name recognition so i figured if I could just plow forward I could still do better than at least some folks. And not to sound like an a-hole, but I do come from a family with some means (nothing crazy), so I probably won't have to contend with law school debt either.
Last edited by dudnaito on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Yo dudnaito, I'm not sure who you are but I'm a WUSTL 1L as well, just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Seems like you've had a hard time this semester. Just remember that LRM midterm was literally 1/3 of 3.45% of your total GPA (which we won't receive this semester).

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I didn't say law school is easy or that I'll do well. Just that work you do early in the semester is useless. I don't think I'm working harder than everyone else this last month.

The material is easy, and doesn't take months to learn. The application is the hard part.

But I can tell you that the super amazing brief someone was working on in October was useless.
I agree, the super amazing brief in October was worthless. But the using of old tests and supplementary materials to practice applying rules that someone did in October? Priceless.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 pm

dudnaito wrote:
keg411 wrote:

We did discuss that option, but I was the one that said no... i invested far too much money and time on this to just forgo another year of my life and at 26, i'll be 28/29 when i graduate. I did accept an extension for my contracts exam, so i'll have another 3 days or so to study. And forgive me for being so repetitive but I was never aiming for BigLaw or anything particularly prestigious. We're obviously no T-14 but WUSTL still has some name recognition so i figured if I could just plow forward I could still do better than at least some folks. And not to sound like an a-hole, but I do come from a family with some means (nothing crazy), so I probably won't have to contend with law school debt either.
With no debt you can go find a job you love doing. Probably have a better lifestyle than most lawyers.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 pm

motedust wrote:Yo dudnaito, I'm not sure who you are but I'm a WUSTL 1L as well, just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Seems like you've had a hard time this semester. Just remember that LRM midterm was literally 1/3 of 3.45% of your total GPA (which we won't receive this semester).
yeah, they're handing out our grades tomorrow. i wish i didn't read that email, i'll be spending the next 12 hours reviewing for torts and i didn't need to be reminded of my failure so much.

btw... what section are you? I hang out with some TLS guys, and i recognize your id.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 pm

dudnaito wrote:
motedust wrote:Yo dudnaito, I'm not sure who you are but I'm a WUSTL 1L as well, just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Seems like you've had a hard time this semester. Just remember that LRM midterm was literally 1/3 of 3.45% of your total GPA (which we won't receive this semester).
yeah, they're handing out our grades tomorrow. i wish i didn't read that email, i'll be spending the next 12 hours reviewing for torts and i didn't need to be reminded of my failure so much.

btw... what section are you? I hang out with some TLS guys, and i recognize your id.
Haha we might know each other IRL, I know almost all of the TLS posters. I'm in section E. I'm not even picking up my LRM grade tomorrow, first of all it's our raw score, second we won't know how that impacts our grade, third tomorrow night/afternoon is time to get fucked up, not discuss our LRM midterm.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 pm

dudnaito wrote:

haha i'll introduce you two don't worry...maybe tomorrow after we drink so much we've forgotten our names...in fact you guys might be in the same section...anyways, dude we always have next semester

edit: yep, you are in the same section

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
dudnaito wrote:

haha i'll introduce you two don't worry...maybe tomorrow after we drink so much we've forgotten our names...in fact you guys might be in the same section...anyways, dude we always have next semester
f'n A, I was hoping you wouldn't read this. go back to studying asshole, this is a private moment with me and some random internet strangers. i don't want to be labeled as the underachieving, depressed guy. Beer tab's on me as long as you guys don't ditch me as I lay on the ground crying... j/k

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

motedust wrote:
dudnaito wrote:

Haha we might know each other IRL, I know almost all of the TLS posters. I'm in section E. I'm not even picking up my LRM grade tomorrow, first of all it's our raw score, second we won't know how that impacts our grade, third tomorrow night/afternoon is time to get fucked up, not discuss our LRM midterm.
holy shit.. we're in the same section. I'm the asian guy that never showed up for classes. lol

btw, noone has any idea on employment prospects?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

...same section huh...AND I'VE BEEN ENCOURAGING YOU!?! What has happened to my cutthroat gunner nature. Haha

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm

motedust wrote:...same section huh...AND I'VE BEEN ENCOURAGING YOU!?! What has happened to my cutthroat gunner nature. Haha
don't worry about it. it only matters if i can be remotely perceived of as competition. Mayhaps next semester, but certainly not this one.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 pm

dudnaito wrote:btw, noone has any idea on employment prospects?
Dude, we go to WUSTL. We have no employment prospects.

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
I'm thinkin I'll probably start teachin kids how to survive in the hood after law school. Maybe with a Nelly theme running through out the courses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 pm

motedust wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
I'm thinkin I'll probably start teachin kids how to survive in the hood after law school. Maybe with a Nelly theme running through out the courses.
just talked to mr. nu jet, if you are who i think you are you didn't exactly give off the gunner vibe. lol

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 pm

is the 1000 lb elephant in the room that bottom 1/3 from WUSTL is absolutely f**'d?

I go to WUSTL too btw, and I don't think I did too well on my exams...

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Yeah? 1L? Bottom 1/3 at WUSTL is probably in a very difficult situation but hey, everyone feels pretty crappy after finals. I know I do.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Total Litigator wrote:is the 1000 lb elephant in the room that bottom 1/3 from WUSTL is absolutely f**'d?

I go to WUSTL too btw, and I don't think I did too well on my exams...
What section?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”