Headphones Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whoknows12

New

Headphones

Post by whoknows12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 am

Hey friendos,
Studying for exams in lib made me realize i need a good pair of headphones. I prefer an over-the-ear type (earbuds never seem to fit right). Also, I want to get a pair that doesn't let a lot of sound out and distract those around me.

Anybody have any good advice?

evilxs

Bronze

Re: Headphones

Post by evilxs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:03 am

Skull candy or Bose for over the ear style. Depends on your budget :wink:

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

Skull candy and Bose are garbage.

Check out the Ultimate Ears Tripl-Fi 10's. They block a huge amount of noise with the foam tips- and the foam means that fit is much different from most in-ear monitors. If you prefer over the ears, check out the Auio Technica ATH-m50.

Headfi.org is the best place to go for headphone advice.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:38 am

Your opinion. :? I love mine, I own them and actually use them in my library. The noise canceling bose works great and cant be heard by others. It is pricy but worth it.

And you follow up with an in-ear recommendation. I can feel the poster's pain, I hate in ear headphones. If you have advice mention a good over the ear set like he is asking for.

Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones is the number 1 ranked noise canceling headphone on that website. Go figure.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 am

The audio technicas are over the ear. But really- the triple-fi's are MUCH different from the crappy in-ears most people have tried.

I should have been specific about headfi- read the forums. Everything else there is just an ad. Oh, and most headphone geeks will recommend against active noise canceling for library use. They might rank Bose as the best noise canceling, but that's because there aren't any really good noise canceling headphones out there. Noise canceling works great for low-frequency stuff like jet noise, but for human voices passive canceling is key. The problem is that you pay a ton of money for active noise canceling you probably won't use.
Last edited by nealric on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

teebone51

New

Post by teebone51 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

+1 on the audio technica m50's. best law school purchase i've ever made. you can play your music as loudly as you want and the sound doesn't escape. the sound quality after you break them in after a month or two is really quite impressive. i've recommended these to a few of my classmates and they've been equally impressed. for 99 bucks on ebay these are a steal.

iphone7

Bronze

Post by iphone7 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

Just don't get Beats. Then you'd be a tool.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 am

You did specify an over the ear set, my apologies. I need some more dang coffee. Torts final in T minus 22 hours and 5 minutes.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Bose is overpriced garbage. Go with Grado.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Anyone who didn't recommend Sennheiser knows nothing about headphones.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Anyone who didn't recommend Sennheiser knows nothing about headphones.
Sennheiser makes some pretty decent cans, but they aren't the alpha and omega of headphones. Their best headphones are the HD650 and HD800 which I specifically didn't recommended because they leak sound, are expensive, and require a headphone amplifier. The HD280 would fit the ticket, but most agree that the Audio Technica's are a better buy at the $100 price point.
Grados are semi-open, which means they are not the best for isolation and will leak some sound. They are great sounding headphones for rock music though.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Only problem with grado's is they really start to hurt my ears after not all that much listening.. I like sennheiser's

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Exactly why I recommend bose. They are not over-priced for noise canceling headphones that no one around you can hear. They're meant for libraries and airplanes. Not for getting the most awesome of sound.

You have to decide what you want the headphones for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:55 pm

depends on budget. and definition of good.

are you an audiophile or just regular d00d trying to study?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Exactly why I recommend bose. They are not over-priced for noise canceling headphones that no one around you can hear. They're meant for libraries and airplanes. Not for getting the most awesome of sound.
The audio technicas are 1/3 of the price, sound much better, and get rid of just as much library noise. Less fragile too.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:58 pm

i have the sennheiser HD-280s, and they are great for use in the library (albeit as an undergrad :lol: ). I just picked up the audio-technica ath-m50s for my brother though, as they are comparable in price (maybe ~$20 more) and have better sound (aka bass) than my HD-280s IMO....

you can't go wrong with either of those models, but I will warn you that it is really easy to overpay for headphones (aka Dre Beats/Bose) which I had plenty of chance using at a previous job. The beats were not even close to being worth their price.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:03 pm

nealric wrote:Skull candy and Bose are garbage.

Check out the Ultimate Ears Tripl-Fi 10's. They block a huge amount of noise with the foam tips- and the foam means that fit is much different from most in-ear monitors. If you prefer over the ears, check out the Auio Technica ATH-m50.

+1.

Buy a good pair of headphones and you will never be able to go back to cheap, off the shelf crap again. Sennheiser is good for getting into good headphones. Definitely check out headfi.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prismz

New

Post by prismz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:05 pm

nealric wrote:Skull candy and Bose are garbage.

+1 on the UEs

whoknows12

New

Post by whoknows12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 pm

OP here. i'm a semi audiophile. don't really want to pay for noise-cancelling (they seem a little clunkier too).

m50's look pretty dank but are out of my price range. what about m35's??? they still look pretty dank too

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 422&sr=1-1

whoknows12

New

Post by whoknows12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

and isn't this more fun than talking about exams??

teebone51

New

Post by teebone51 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 pm

whoknows12 wrote:OP here. i'm a semi audiophile. don't really want to pay for noise-cancelling (they seem a little clunkier too).

m50's look pretty dank but are out of my price range. what about m35's??? they still look pretty dank too

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 422&sr=1-1
i think as long as they collapse down, then you'll be fine. my friend got i think the m30's or something, which didn't collapse, and they cracked under the weight of all his school stuff after a few months. his fault, i know, but i think he could have avoided that problem if they collapsed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 pm

m50's look pretty dank but are out of my price range
The M30s are a huge step down. You can get the audio-technicas for $100 shipped on ebay. The Sennheiser HD280 can be had for $80. Personally, I would just stick with el-cheapo headphones and/or some foam earplugs until I could reach that price point.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:25 pm

nealric wrote:Anyone who didn't recommend Sennheiser knows nothing about headphones.
Sennheiser makes some pretty decent cans, but they aren't the alpha and omega of headphones. Their best headphones are the HD650 and HD800 which I specifically didn't recommended because they leak sound, are expensive, and require a headphone amplifier. The HD280 would fit the ticket, but most agree that the Audio Technica's are a better buy at the $100 price point.
I have a pair of HD600s and they're awesome. They are expensive though (~$300).
Never heard anyone call Bose garbage before, although possibly overpriced. I know several people with Bose noise cancelling headphones and they swear by them.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Never heard anyone call Bose garbage before
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/362 ... about-bose

Problems with Bose:

They use flimsy parts in their over the ear headphones compared to competitors. Seriously, compare their Tri-ports ($150) to the ATH-M50 ($100) in build quality. The Tri-ports feel like you could snap the headband with two fingers. I've stepped on my M-50s and no problems. The headband has more than 3x as much material.

With Bose, you are spending money on advertising, not the headphone.

Bose's products have a frequency response that pumps up the midbass to make it sound "Bassy", but is nowhere near faithful to the original recording and actually loses most of the lower bass.

Yeah, they are better than the headphones that come with your ipod. But that doesn't take much.

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 pm

I got these:

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Hi-Fi-Noise ... mentWidget

They are super-cheap, and I've been satisfied. Also, with Amazon Student (free Amazon prime), fee two-day shipping. These are less than $9. Get like 3 pairs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”