1367(b) question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

Bronze

1367(b) question

Post by onthecusp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:34 pm

What happens to a case that has a claim thrown out under 1367(b)? Is the entire case dismissed or is the claim simply taken out of the case?

GeePee

Silver

Re: 1367(b) question

Post by GeePee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:38 pm

You just can't join the claim. Nothing more.

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Supplemental jurisdiction would not apply to the state-law claim and the other claim that satisfied federal jurisdiction would still be adjudicated in the federal court. Otherwise, the person can just transfer both claims to state court and litigate in state court instead.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:42 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:Supplemental jurisdiction would not apply to the state-law claim and the other claim that satisfied federal jurisdiction would still be adjudicated in the federal court. Otherwise, the person can just transfer both claims to state court and litigate in state court instead.
I'd watch the way you use transfer. Other than removal/remand, claims never traverse from federal to state court. The plaintiff could ask the judge to dismiss the case and refile in state court, though.

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 pm

GeePee wrote:
littlepiggie818 wrote:Supplemental jurisdiction would not apply to the state-law claim and the other claim that satisfied federal jurisdiction would still be adjudicated in the federal court. Otherwise, the person can just transfer both claims to state court and litigate in state court instead.
I'd watch the way you use transfer. Other than removal/remand, claims never traverse from federal to state court. The plaintiff could ask the judge to dismiss the case and refile in state court, though.
I guess I should watch the way I used my words. But you're definitely right that the P could ask the judge to dismiss the case and refile.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 pm

If it's a permissive claim, the court should just deny jurisdiction over the claim. The court still retains jurisdiction over the valid claims before it, and will just hear only those claims.

If it's a compulsory claim, then it should consider the factors involved and decide whether or not it should dismiss entirely. See Rule 19(b) for example; it talks about what to do if a party required to join cannot do so, and suggests possible solutions (shaping remedies to protect the interest of the unjoinable claim, dismissing entirely, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”