Civ Pro exam in less than 48 hours Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Civ Pro exam in less than 48 hours

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Sort of having a meltdown, feel like I know most of the stuff, but will not remember much of anything (our exam is entirely closed book...not even a FRCP supplement allowed in...ugh). I'm mixing rules up like whoa.

Someone talk me off the ledge, please?

beach_terror

Platinum

Re: Civ Pro exam in less than 48 hours

Post by beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Open a new word document, grab your syllabus, and start typing about each subheading on your syllabus.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:11 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Sort of having a meltdown, feel like I know most of the stuff, but will not remember much of anything (our exam is entirely closed book...not even a FRCP supplement allowed in...ugh). I'm mixing rules up like whoa.

Flashcards helped me memorize each rule and subrule from the entire class. I know you don't have much time, but Word has a flashcard thing you can use if you don't want to write them all out.

Damn, does that ever make me appreciative that I have my master chart (officially titled "Da Roolz") with me during this, as well as my annotated case chart, and issue-spotting sheet. I figure that these 3 brief documents will be all I need. Closed book must certainly be tough, but rules are pretty memorize-able.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Break it down into simple stuff. I'm not sure how particular your prof is or if you have to know each numerical rule, but maybe something like this -

Stating the Claim - Rules 8 & 9
*A pleading must be a short and plain, well-pleaded statement that sets out plaintiffs claim for relief
*Claim must be plausible, not merely possible
*Set forth all claims, even if they conflict - if one is stricken, you have others to go to
*Special damages must be specially plead

Etc. Break it down into simple stuff that isn't as rule-focused.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Good advice from Kal. That's exactly what I did for my Civ Pro outline with all the rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm

dakatz wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Sort of having a meltdown, feel like I know most of the stuff, but will not remember much of anything (our exam is entirely closed book...not even a FRCP supplement allowed in...ugh). I'm mixing rules up like whoa.

Flashcards helped me memorize each rule and subrule from the entire class. I know you don't have much time, but Word has a flashcard thing you can use if you don't want to write them all out.

Damn, does that ever make me appreciative that I have my master chart (officially titled "Da Roolz") with me during this, as well as my annotated case chart, and issue-spotting sheet. I figure that these 3 brief documents will be all I need. Closed book must certainly be tough, but rules are pretty memorize-able.
Word flashcard thing? Please explain how I do this.

And thanks for everyone's input...I think I'm just getting freaked out...worried that I won't remember rule numbers, even though I know most of the content of the rules. Our exam is half multiple choice, and I'm worried he's going to have a hypo, and then say "what rule do you apply" and have only rule numbers as answer choices...then, I may pass out.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 am

Pulling an all-nighter for the first time in probably about 5 years (not counting booze and like Taco Bell at some ungodly hour...an actual real all-nighter).

UGH.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Chicago,
if you like flashcard stuff and have Onenote. Try this: http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-one ... cards.aspx

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Money seems to be the correct alternative answer to most problems in life.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm

A lot of universities give out Office for free. I got OneNote from my university.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”