would you study this much if it weren't ITE? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TigerBeer

Bronze

would you study this much if it weren't ITE?

Post by TigerBeer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 pm

i sure as hell wouldn't. i've never put this much effort into studying for anything in my life, and i have to say that it stems almost entirely from the fact that the economy is rough and i really want a market-paying job. from talking to my classmates it seems that most people are thinking similarly.

sure, you have some naturally driven people who want the federal appellate clerkship or the V5 and would work as hard regardless, but if i knew i was virtually guaranteed a six figure job, there's no way i would currently be on my 8th hour in the library on a friday during thanksgiving break. my impression is that people in general would put in less work, and since everything is curved, so would i.

now this is totally self-serving and indulgent, but it makes me think that the quality of graduates that come out during a recession have got to be higher quality on average than during boom times.

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Re: would you study this much if it weren't ITE?

Post by UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Absolutely not! If this site had not scared me shitless, I would be cruising through school on my natural wits and good looks!

Its not even ITE, its the '70% struck out at OCI' threads

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:51 pm

I would. I don't think I can study any less and pass my classes.

caveat: employed 3L.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Eh, I don't really study that much to begin with. At least not compared to my classmates.

In college I never did anything other than show up to an occasional class and write the papers.

Here, I read all the cases, stopped briefing over a month ago, will crack a supplement if I don't understand something, but have been writing outlines and will be doing practice tests before finals.

I feel with studying there's a point of diminishing returns. Will you really do that much better than your classmates if you spent 10 hours in the library the day after Thanksgiving when they spent 8?

I'm more focused on understanding the material, knowing how to take a law school exam, and having fun. I've seen numerous classmates have nervous breakdowns and I can't understand why. I'm in a new city with new people and am studying subjects that are really interesting. I'm not about to cry because Joe Schmo read the E&E chapter on service of process in federal courts and I haven't.

TobiasFunke

New

Post by TobiasFunke » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:42 am

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 am

I would. I'm probably less smart than my peers, so I have to work harder. It's payed off in undergrad, LSAT, and hopefully carry me through in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”