No old exams Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
koeni082

New

No old exams

Post by koeni082 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Any thoughts on the best way to use hypos not from your prof to work on issue spotting? I've been using them all semester to practice writing out and analyzing single issues but as far as spotting issues and outlining full responses they don't seem helpful.

JazzOne

Gold

Re: No old exams

Post by JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:02 pm

koeni082 wrote:Any thoughts on the best way to use hypos not from your prof to work on issue spotting? I've been using them all semester to practice writing out and analyzing single issues but as far as spotting issues and outlining full responses they don't seem helpful.
You're right. You've already spotted all the issues in the hypos your professor brings up in class (at least the issues your professor finds important). You could look at the E&E book for the course. That worked very well for me during my first semester. I'm sure there are other sources of hypos. You could ask your librarian if your school has access to CALI. I think most of the CALI exams are multiple choice, but MC questions could help you spot issues. That would be free if your school subscribes, but you need the password from your librarian.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Use old exams from other professors and other schools.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 pm

I have this problem with 2 of my professors. I've been using the E&E questions and answers. Aside from those, I've just been trying to get as much info from 2L/3Ls as possible about each prof's exams and what worked for them.

I think anything that helps you learn to spot issues and answer concisely and thoroughly is good. Other than that, keep an eye on things like whether your prof prefers IRAC vs. CRAC, if there's MC vs. only essays, etc.

koeni082

New

Post by koeni082 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:Use old exams from other professors and other schools.
Ya, if you read what I wrote, I've been doing that since day 1. I'm looking for thoughts on the best way to use such materials at this point because it's becoming pointless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 pm

koeni082 wrote:
Ya, if you read what I wrote, I've been doing that since day 1. I'm looking for thoughts on the best way to use such materials at this point because it's becoming pointless.
Try not being a jackass to someone who took the time to give you advice.

koeni082

New

Post by koeni082 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:12 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
koeni082 wrote:
Try not being a jackass to someone who took the time to give you advice.

Sorry, Cavalier - didn't mean it like that, just wanted to be clear. Thanks for setting me straight, McNutty.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 pm

koeni082 wrote:Any thoughts on the best way to use hypos not from your prof to work on issue spotting? I've been using them all semester to practice writing out and analyzing single issues but as far as spotting issues and outlining full responses they don't seem helpful.
My first semester, first exam was given by a prof who had no old exams. The best advice I can give you is try to learn about the prof and what he/she emphasizes in class, since that will help you to determine what issues to look for on the exam. Using other professor's material can be helpful, but, it might also lead you astray in the sense that you're looking at material not covered in your course. One of the best ways I found to study in this circumstance was Cali/E&E/Crunchtime problems. At the end of the day you've just got to learn the material and make sure you know what issues to look for, and it is helpful doing directed problems which focus your analysis towards single issues. This helps you sort out the ambiguous/overlapping issues (like duty and proximate cause in torts, I suppose).

In any event it's a difficult situation, I would recommend doing whatever helps you understand the material best. Learning how other professors test won't really be of too much help, it's more important to focus on what your professor views as important. Spotting issues isn't the hardest thing in the world, just make sure you know what all of the potential issues of law are before you sit down to take the test.

I don't know if that was helpful but it's basically what I did, and I did well in a similar situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”