law firm partner salaries Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: law firm partner salaries

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

JazzOne wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
IAFG wrote:once upon a time, this sort of thread was 90% of the lounge. how do i make the most money? what sort of condo can i afford on a biglaw salary? will it piss off the partners if i buy a bentley? which market-paying market will let me have a 10k sq ft house? how times have changed...
Will it piss off the partners if I buy a ZR1? I mean, Bentley is ridic, but I do want something nice to ride in every morning. Been looking at cars lately, spending my make-believe-millions. I really like the Audi R8, but it's just not worth the money when the ZR1 is so affordable.
The issue I find with the ZR1 is the constant maintainance you need to do on the car. Everything from breaks and rubbers to the tune-ups. Though, it goes for any "track-ready" car. Same goes with Skylines, STI's Evolutions, Z06's, Porsche 911RS.

I'd say go with something with a CTS-V or M5. Still rape face, but they have nice concierge service when you go have to get stuff done to it.

You can also do a regular Porsche for work and a skyline/Z06 for everything else. A Porsche 911 Turbo goes for about the price of both cars combined.
Here's the thing. I just want the most bang for my buck, preferably under $150K. I'm not really going to drive it work. It would be a weekend car, so the maintenance costs would be mitigated. And nothing touches the performance on that ZR1. Not even close. It looks pretty nice too. Not the nicest looking car, but up there.
Yeah, if it's not going to be driven to work then definitely ZR-1.

If I'm never going to leave Miami, I'd instead go with a Viper - though they're being discontinued. I just don't like stability control or none of that other nonsense they use.

I will admit though, ZR-1's are the best launching vehicles I've ever seen given enough rubber.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:09 pm

...it smells like 2006 in here

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm

IAFG wrote:...it smells like 2006 in here
I wish it was 2006. I'd say fuck law - I'm going real estate.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
I'd spend my time gathering an investment pool to bet against CDOs. . .

. . . erh, who am I kidding. I would have pumped every dollar I could have borrowed into real estate.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Yeah, if it's not going to be driven to work then definitely ZR-1.

If I'm never going to leave Miami, I'd instead go with a Viper - though they're being discontinued. I just don't like stability control or none of that other nonsense they use.

I will admit though, ZR-1's are the best launching vehicles I've ever seen given enough rubber.
I was always a huge Viper fan, but then Corvette made that Z06. I was still on board with Viper, and then the ZR-1 dropped. Insane amount of car for that price. For another $15K you can add a body kit and some painted wheels. Going to be tough to say no to that deal if I actually get through the next few years intact.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
I'd spend my time gathering an investment pool to bet against CDOs. . .

. . . erh, who am I kidding. I would have pumped every dollar I could have borrowed into real estate.
Indeed. Nothing like flipping houses.... until the bubble pops overnight. lulz.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I think one think people haven't even mentioned as for perks of big law and money is the information you may have access to in the business world. I'm not talking about insider trading or anything corrupt, but I would assume that many attorneys get information first whether it be from friends or clients. If you play your cards right you could make that substantial salary turn into the huge numbers that a few of you are saying is so unlikely.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I think one think people haven't even mentioned as for perks of big law and money is the information you may have access to in the business world. I'm not talking about insider trading or anything corrupt, but I would assume that many attorneys get information first whether it be from friends or clients. If you play your cards right you could make that substantial salary turn into the huge numbers that a few of you are saying is so unlikely.
you actually are talking about insider trading and things that are corrupt

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:34 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I think one think people haven't even mentioned as for perks of big law and money is the information you may have access to in the business world. I'm not talking about insider trading or anything corrupt, but I would assume that many attorneys get information first whether it be from friends or clients. If you play your cards right you could make that substantial salary turn into the huge numbers that a few of you are saying is so unlikely.
So you say you aren't talking about insider trading, then you proceed to talk about making money off insider information...good luck on exams my friend.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
lol

Hey, someone's gotta make the money.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 pm

JazzOne wrote:
IAFG wrote:
lol

Hey, someone's gotta make the money.
He's going to make a killing on frozen concentrated orange juice futures. Trust me on this one.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Yeah, if it's not going to be driven to work then definitely ZR-1.

I was always a huge Viper fan, but then Corvette made that Z06. I was still on board with Viper, and then the ZR-1 dropped. Insane amount of car for that price. For another $15K you can add a body kit and some painted wheels. Going to be tough to say no to that deal if I actually get through the next few years intact.
If the goal is overall happiness, I'd say take a mid-grade BMW and spend the rest on what's more likely to make one happy:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150518.htm

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
I haven't taken crim yet, but it seems determining what that term is and what it isn't is very hard. Information is information. What if one of your client's is Warren Buffet or somebody right under him and you are out to lunch and he says "Hey, if you have any cash for discretionary spending, this is where I'd put it in the next couple of weeks, its looking hot and headed to en fuego." Do you listen to him and benefit from the fact that one of your client's has given you some friendly business advice? Or do you do nothing and lose out on an opportunity to help save for your retirement, pay off loans, house, pay for your kids college?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 pm

quakeroats wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

If the goal is overall happiness, I'd say take a mid-grade BMW and spend the rest on what's more likely to make one happy:

lol

I wouldn't buy something to make myself happy. That's what my job is for.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

quakeroats wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I'm a current car enthusiast, former competition driver. House and car are the two greatest factors in my happiness... and the house is there because I need somewhere to store and work on said car.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I haven't taken crim yet, but it seems determining what that term is and what it isn't is very hard. Information is information. What if one of your client's is Warren Buffet or somebody right under him and you are out to lunch and he says "Hey, if you have any cash for discretionary spending, this is where I'd put it in the next couple of weeks, its looking hot and headed to en fuego." Do you listen to him and benefit from the fact that one of your client's has given you some friendly business advice? Or do you do nothing and lose out on an opportunity to help save for your retirement, pay off loans, house, pay for your kids college?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

there's insider trading and being the first to hear about good investment opportunities. different things entirely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I worked as an admin at a V10. One of the first things they asked about during orientation was stock ownership. If you have any, you have to disclose it. If you want to make specific purchases (and possibly sales), you have to clear it through the firm first. Even if your trading goes through a money manager, you have to give them the manager's info and get it all cleared. I seriously doubt this sort of thing would fly.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:44 pm

So is it insider trading if an attorney who is in-house counsel at the fortune 500 company he is working for buys up stock when he knows that in 2 days he and the board members will be signing a deal on a merger that is going to make their stock skyrocket?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:44 pm

jdubb990 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
LOL JDubb are you a law student?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

jdubb990 wrote:So is it insider trading if an attorney who is in-house counsel at the fortune 500 company he is working for buys up stock when he knows that in 2 days he and the board members will be signing a deal on a merger that is going to make their stock skyrocket?
Uh, yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

jdubb990 wrote:So is it insider trading if an attorney who is in-house counsel at the fortune 500 company he is working for buys up stock when he knows that in 2 days he and the board members will be signing a deal on a merger that is going to make their stock skyrocket?
You're pretty.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

if this isn't, what the fuck is?!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

position originally defensible, now sliding into the muck.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:47 pm

IAFG wrote:
if this isn't, what the fuck is?!
Derp.

Everybody knows that in order for it to be considered inside trading.. you need to be inside a building!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”