How are your outlines looking? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
The McRib Is Risen

New

Re: How are your outlines looking?

Post by The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:2L here. haven't even started outlining XD
TITCR.

Last year at this time I confused motion with progress and gave myself make-work. This year at this time, I'm just not doing shit, which is probably equally problematic.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:44 pm

betasteve wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Ditto.

Also, hadn't started outlining 1L year at this time, either.
not asking sarcastically, but how'd you do 1L class rank?
pretty well

Thanks betasteve. All these posts about outlining were starting to freak me out.

Any thoughts on outlining for a short answer (one to two sentences per question) final? My torts professor ended up with twice as many students as usual (read 250) and will not be doing a full law school final. I am not sure how to handle that- my brain is geared to these fact pattern exams now.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

I would also like to point out that OneNote rocks for outlining. The ability to make diagrams is invaluable for that hellhole of a class known as property.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:42 pm

kalvano wrote:I would also like to point out that OneNote rocks for outlining. The ability to make diagrams is invaluable for that hellhole of a class known as property.
At one point I was a OneNote fanatic, but I converted back to Word for everything about mid-way through the semester

I got distracted trying to tag everything.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would also like to point out that OneNote rocks for outlining. The ability to make diagrams is invaluable for that hellhole of a class known as property.
At one point I was a OneNote fanatic, but I converted back to Word for everything about mid-way through the semester

I don't do tags and all that stuff, since all my outlines will need to be printed anyway. I do enjoy the freedom of text placement over Word, and how much easier it is to organize for class.

Plus, being able to draw out Future Interests and Remainders was enormously helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 pm

I took a final on Thursday with no outline. That's how 2Ls roll.

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I don't do tags and all that stuff, since all my outlines will need to be printed anyway. I do enjoy the freedom of text placement over Word, and how much easier it is to organize for class.

Plus, being able to draw out Future Interests and Remainders was enormously helpful.
My schools printers don't seem to want to let me print double-sided out of OneNote. Any ideas for this? Or is it just the printer i'm trying to use? (it prints duplex just fine out of word)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:04 pm

bmontminy wrote:My schools printers don't seem to want to let me print double-sided out of OneNote. Any ideas for this? Or is it just the printer i'm trying to use? (it prints duplex just fine out of word)

I have no idea. I don't like double-sided stuff.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 pm

I learned most of the material WHILE outlining. I would sit in the library on weekends/weeknights with 2-3 supplements, relevant class notes, and previous students' outlines printed out in front of me. Then I would relearn what was taught in class by pouring over the material. When I felt confident, I would type out the relevant section into my outline. My outlines were usually 40-60 pages (Civ Pro was 80 pages), but I DID NOT use them on my tests. Instead, at during reading week I condensed those massive outlines into about 100 moderately-full flash cards per class, and I memorized the heck out of those. Unfortunately, I didn't take too many practice tests because I never got around to it. I usually just read through previous tests/answers instead of actually taking them. But my recommendation is that you spend a considerable amount of your study time outlining. My weeks consisted of 30% reading for classes, 20% doing LRW, and 50% outlining (started in October). I finished top 3%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Journeybound wrote:I learned most of the material WHILE outlining. I would sit in the library on weekends/weeknights with 2-3 supplements, relevant class notes, and previous students' outlines printed out in front of me. Then I would relearn what was taught in class by pouring over the material. When I felt confident, I would type out the relevant section into my outline. My outlines were usually 40-60 pages (Civ Pro was 80 pages), but I DID NOT use them on my tests. Instead, at during reading week I condensed those massive outlines into about 100 moderately-full flash cards per class, and I memorized the heck out of those. Unfortunately, I didn't take too many practice tests because I never got around to it. I usually just read through previous tests/answers instead of actually taking them. But my recommendation is that you spend a considerable amount of your study time outlining. My weeks consisted of 30% reading for classes, 20% doing LRW, and 50% outlining (started in October). I finished top 3%.
Just out of curiosity, how comfortable did you feel with material prior to that outlining process?

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:24 pm

I understood what was going on in class, but I had trouble carrying on conversations about the material that was taught 2-3 weeks before. Honestly, things usually clicked during reading week when I could read my outlines a few times and make the flash cards.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Journeybound wrote:I learned most of the material WHILE outlining. I would sit in the library on weekends/weeknights with 2-3 supplements, relevant class notes, and previous students' outlines printed out in front of me. Then I would relearn what was taught in class by pouring over the material. When I felt confident, I would type out the relevant section into my outline. My outlines were usually 40-60 pages (Civ Pro was 80 pages), but I DID NOT use them on my tests. Instead, at during reading week I condensed those massive outlines into about 100 moderately-full flash cards per class, and I memorized the heck out of those. Unfortunately, I didn't take too many practice tests because I never got around to it. I usually just read through previous tests/answers instead of actually taking them. But my recommendation is that you spend a considerable amount of your study time outlining. My weeks consisted of 30% reading for classes, 20% doing LRW, and 50% outlining (started in October). I finished top 3%.

I plan on doing much the same thing. However, it seems like a checklist would be useful for some classes. Like Contracts:
Is it an ad?
*clear, promissory, definite?
*solicited or unsolicited?
Sale of goods? ----> UCC

Something like that, that highlights all the major stuff not to miss. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 pm

YES. I did that for Contracts and Civ Pro. But still, memorize what you think is manageable. And, you'll be surprised how it all comes to you during the test. But, all of my tests, except for Ks, Con Law, and Civ Pro were closed book (not that it makes much of a difference). So I had no choice but to memorize most of the material.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:38 pm

1Ls who haven't stared outling yet don't freak out. I didn't even start til thanksgiving last year...I found it waaay more helpful to do it closer to the test when I was almost done w the class(not that doing it now is bad but its not the only way)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Journeybound wrote:YES. I did that for Contracts and Civ Pro. But still, memorize what you think is manageable. And, you'll be surprised how it all comes to you during the test. But, all of my tests, except for Ks, Con Law, and Civ Pro were closed book (not that it makes much of a difference). So I had no choice but to memorize most of the material.

Most of the major stuff I have memorized (relevant UCC provisions, Mailbox Rule, Home-Office Approval Clause, etc.), I just want something for the test to make sure I don't overlook anything. It won't have explanations, just what to look for.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
Journeybound wrote:YES. I did that for Contracts and Civ Pro. But still, memorize what you think is manageable. And, you'll be surprised how it all comes to you during the test. But, all of my tests, except for Ks, Con Law, and Civ Pro were closed book (not that it makes much of a difference). So I had no choice but to memorize most of the material.

Most of the major stuff I have memorized (relevant UCC provisions, Mailbox Rule, Home-Office Approval Clause, etc.), I just want something for the test to make sure I don't overlook anything. It won't have explanations, just what to look for.
Kalvano, I'm using Circus ponies Notebook and find that when I'm doing flow charts they don't move with the page (hard to describe) - One Note isn't doing this, for you?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 pm

blank

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:16 am

nygrrrl wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Kalvano, I'm using Circus ponies Notebook and find that when I'm doing flow charts they don't move with the page (hard to describe) - One Note isn't doing this, for you?
I set up my charts as a separate section in OneNote, not as part of the page. So if I have a section on Future Interests, I just have a link to the chart.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:19 am

screen shot of a portion of the chart would be pretty sweet...... just saying. :mrgreen:

i feel like i am not making use of all the cool shit onenote can do. the fanciest thing i do is link to other sections.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:42 am

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:44 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:My CivPro outline is only 15 pages right now. We've gone through personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental, and venue. We're not focusing on the FRCP though. Pretty sure this coming week is choice of law and Erie :(
You guys need to buy your prof a cake or something, if it wasnt for the FRCP and we did just cases alone I would feel confident for the final. The FRCP is a little ridiculous at times.
How the FUCK do you learn civ pro without learning the rules?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

Veyron wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
beach_terror wrote:My CivPro outline is only 15 pages right now. We've gone through personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental, and venue. We're not focusing on the FRCP though. Pretty sure this coming week is choice of law and Erie :(
You guys need to buy your prof a cake or something, if it wasnt for the FRCP and we did just cases alone I would feel confident for the final. The FRCP is a little ridiculous at times.
Personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental and venue don't seem to have the rules as their basis. Most of my class has trouble understanding the material as it is, I would be lulzing hard if they incorporated any more material. 3 different classmates, on 3 different days, raised their hand and got where corporations reside under 1391 wrong. Why they confuse venue and SMJ is beyond me.
Last edited by beach_terror on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 am

beach_terror wrote:
Personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental and venue don't seem to have the rules as their basis. Most of my class has trouble understanding the material as it is, I would be lulzing hard if they incorporated any more material. 3 different classmates, on 3 different days, raised their hand and got where corporations reside under 1391 wrong.
hahaha, have fun trying to take the bar.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

gwuorbust wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental and venue don't seem to have the rules as their basis. Most of my class has trouble understanding the material as it is, I would be lulzing hard if they incorporated any more material. 3 different classmates, on 3 different days, raised their hand and got where corporations reside under 1391 wrong.
hahaha, have fun trying to take the bar.
Thanks! Your concern is very important to me :D

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 am

beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
Personal jurisdiction, federal subject matter, removal, supplemental and venue don't seem to have the rules as their basis. Most of my class has trouble understanding the material as it is, I would be lulzing hard if they incorporated any more material. 3 different classmates, on 3 different days, raised their hand and got where corporations reside under 1391 wrong. Why they confuse venue and SMJ is beyond me.
And yet, when I bash on TTTs, you criticise me why?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”