a JD is a versatile degree Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Renzo

Gold

a JD is a versatile degree

Post by Renzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

...not according to this ex-lawyer (and T6) grad. (LinkRemoved)
Being a lawyer amounts to a strike against you if you ever decide to pursue another career.
A J.D. is not a versatile degree. Law is a specialized field which carries a heavy stigma beyond its own hermetic confines.

An “extremely versatile degree”?

That’s simply a crock.

brosef stalin

New

Re: a JD is a versatile degree

Post by brosef stalin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 pm

I read that link as "the peoples the rapist."

Also, isn't this common knowledge on TLS?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:28 pm

This is depressing.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Not to be a smart ass - but, there is no truly 'versatile' graduate degree. Graduate education is specialized and trains you for a specific career.

Though there might be a stigma associated with a JD, its also arguable that this stigma is one that is associated with specialty degrees in general.

In many ways, a JD is still far more versatile than other graduate degrees. If a JD applicant in a non-legal job gets strange looks, imagine MD applicants. I've known a fair number of physicians who hate their jobs but are trapped in them because they feel there is nothing else they can do with their degree and they have significant debt loads.

I think this comes down to the following: don't go into a professional education program unless you want to be that professional.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Funny, though, that this dude is getting paid to write this specifically because he has a JD but isn't a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 pm

I think it's widely known that a JD hurts you if you want to enter most other fields.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:32 pm

It might be versatile if the local radio station manager suffers from dyslexia.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:37 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Not to be a smart ass - but, there is no truly 'versatile' graduate degree. Graduate education is specialized and trains you for a specific career.
Math is a versatile degree. So is engineering, and statistics. A JD is not.

Edit: Seriously, given the information that's out there. Anyone still contemplating paying for law school is a complete retard.
Last edited by MTal on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Not to be a smart ass - but, there is no truly 'versatile' graduate degree. Graduate education is specialized and trains you for a specific career.

Though there might be a stigma associated with a JD, its also arguable that this stigma is one that is associated with specialty degrees in general.

In many ways, a JD is still far more versatile than other graduate degrees. If a JD applicant in a non-legal job gets strange looks, imagine MD applicants. I've known a fair number of physicians who hate their jobs but are trapped in them because they feel there is nothing else they can do with their degree and they have significant debt loads.

I think this comes down to the following: don't go into a professional education program unless you want to be that professional.
Some of these other degrees don't have this myth about them being so versatile though. You don't encounter too many med school applicants who talk about how they aren't really sure they actually want to practice medicine, but they have been told they can use their MD in a lot of other ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:52 pm

What are you supposed to say when a fellow student talks about what a versatile degree it is and how many things you can do with a JD? I always nod and say "totally."

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:03 pm

MTal wrote:
Masters in stats as versatile? Really?

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
MTal wrote:
you can be an actuary for health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, life insurance, and teach community college

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 pm

kaftka juice wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
MTal wrote:
you can be an actuary for health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, life insurance, and teach community college
A JD is a versatile degree because you can litigate health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, and life insurance claims. And you can teach community college.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Wavelet wrote:
A JD is a versatile degree because you can litigate health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, and life insurance claims. And you can teach community college.
You are an idiot if you think the opportunities of the former equate with those of the latter.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 pm

It seems like the bigger problem for him is that he didn't know wtf he wanted to do in the first place. Law school then branding credit cards (which sounds pretty interesting by the way) and then a LMSW and now hes a Therapist? Dude figure it out.

Also, I agree with one of the posters above, graduate school is about specialized education. They're not supposed to be versatile.

Wavelet

New

Post by Wavelet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:43 pm

MTal wrote:
Wavelet wrote:
You are an idiot if you think the opportunities of the former equate with those of the latter.
I was obviously being facetious. Listing what is effectively two jobs--actuary and community college professor--is hardly proof of a versatile degree.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 pm

A JD is supposed to be preferred for certain federal law enforcement jobs, right? Other than that, I can't think of a single instance where a JD is an advantage when seeking a radically different career.

law_noob

New

Post by law_noob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

I'll take the rapist for 400 Alex

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 pm

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 pm

to continue beating the dead horse:
get a jd only if you want to be a lawyer. Why waste time, money and stress if you dont want to be a lawyer?
Having an advanced degree may hurt you in some job searches. People may assume you are over qualified or will cost too much even though you are the best canidate. Or they may think you will take the job and leave after 6 months to go to greener pastures.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm

I would tell the author to try practicing law with an MBA, and then decide which degree is more versatile.

He is acting as if securing employment was difficult because of his JD, but there may not have been a causal link. Getting a job is hard work, period. A JD doesn't make it any easier - which clearly frustrated the rapist.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Shooter wrote:I would tell the author to try practicing law with an MBA, and then decide which degree is more versatile.

He is acting as if securing employment was difficult because of his JD, but there may not have been a causal link. Getting a job is hard work, period. A JD doesn't make it any easier - which clearly frustrated the rapist.
I agree with the sentiment, but this isn't what the rapist said in his article. His point was that he encountered people who might have otherwise been hired, and people who might have hired him, but for the JD.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 am

A JD is supposed to be preferred for certain federal law enforcement jobs, right? Other than that, I can't think of a single instance where a JD is an advantage when seeking a radically different career.
Law Enforcement in general would be very happy to have a J.D. in the ranks. There are more than a few upper level managers in the LE ranks who have a J.D.

Law Enforcement is one of the few, if not only, exceptions to the general rule that a J.D. is only good for pursuing a legal career. (However, one who is planning on getting a J.D. for Law Enforcement purposes should NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER pay for the degree, it only makes sense if one gets the degree for free.)

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 am

brosef stalin wrote:I read that link as "the peoples the rapist."

I'll take the rapists for $100, Alex.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”