Questions from a nervous 1L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soaponarope

Bronze

Questions from a nervous 1L

Post by soaponarope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:14 am

Some questions for you guys:

Two out of three of my exams are closed book. In torts, our professor is a hard ass about stating the rule verbatim. Our class has adopted some lengthy restatements, and of course the common law. I haven't started to commit the rules to memory... is now the time, or should I wait a little longer thus not having to "re-study" the same rules?

Additionally, I am only about 1/4 done with all of my outlines. I am hoping that I didn't wait too long, and consequently thrashed any hope of leaving myself ample time for practice problems. Obviously, now is the time to step full throttle on the gas, however, did I wait too long?

And some of my notes are scattered...however, they're solid notes. That said, I find it easier to use my profs syllabus for the organization, and just outline from the supps (for example Glannon's civ pro, or Emanuels for K's) and incorporate my notes where applicable. Good idea, or bad?

Finally, Barbri is having a 6 hour review for Civ Pro this weekend, and another review for K's on Sunday. Has anyone ever attended one of these courses? Is it worthwhile? I'm a little weary because I read the lecture is from a video (didn't say if there would be an actual prof or instructor there)...

Sorry for the all of the questions, and I apologize in advance for any question where the answer seems obvious. I'm just a little paranoid/month of November kind of freaking me out. Thanks for any insightful/helpful comments...

inchoate_con

Bronze

Re: Questions from a nervous 1L

Post by inchoate_con » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 am

You need to know the rules... in order to apply them. As far as "re-study" the rules, seems like an odd question, but you could Google: spaced repetition or mnemonics like MY LEGS = statute of frauds: Marriage, one year, land, executor, goods, surety

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 am

inchoate_con wrote:You need to know the rules... in order to apply them. As far as "re-study" the rules, seems like an odd question, but you could Google: spaced repetition or mnemonics like MY LEGS = statute of frauds: Marriage, one year, land, executor, goods, surety

I know the rules, and I've practiced applying them...but, I do not have them memorized (test is closed book). Perhaps i was unclear with my question. My question is, should I commit myself to memorizing the rules (torts) now, or wait till late November. Why? Because I think if I tried to memorize the rules and get them down cold (now), instead of late November, I'll end up having to re-study (or memorize) them again thus wasting the time I spent in early November.

I just wanted to grab someone else's insight who went/going through a similar situation.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 am

I haven't started to commit the rules to memory...
Like I said, Google "spaced repetition." There is a lot of research on memory and how to efficiently optimize it.

"For the processing of an item to be repeated, it is argued that the memory for a prior presentation of that item must not be readily accessible when the item is repeated. Varying the spacing of repetitions corresponds to a manipulations of retention interval and is only one of several means of varying the accessibility of memory for a prior presentation. Factors such as the similarity of repetitions, the type of intervening material, and cue effectiveness are also shown to influence the processing of repetitions through their effects on accessibility."

Do you just want to read a yes/no type response? Yes.

klussy

Bronze

Post by klussy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
I haven't started to commit the rules to memory...
Like I said, Google "spaced repetition." There is a lot of research on memory and how to efficiently optimize it.

"For the processing of an item to be repeated, it is argued that the memory for a prior presentation of that item must not be readily accessible when the item is repeated. Varying the spacing of repetitions corresponds to a manipulations of retention interval and is only one of several means of varying the accessibility of memory for a prior presentation. Factors such as the similarity of repetitions, the type of intervening material, and cue effectiveness are also shown to influence the processing of repetitions through their effects on accessibility."

Do you just want to read a yes/no type response? Yes.
I think soap wanted to hear whether early Nov. or late Nov. memorization was more effective based on the past experience of others, rather than theory.

I have the same question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Nervous is an understatement for me right now... I'm f-n petrified.

We were going over joinder in class today and I just about lost it.. all these different rules flying around, trying to understand the impossibly confusing facts of Provident Tradesmen Bank v. Patterson. My god how the hell am I going to write a coherent essay on this shit.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:Nervous is an understatement for me right now... I'm f-n petrified.

We were going over joinder in class today and I just about lost it.. all these different rules flying around, trying to understand the impossibly confusing facts of Provident Tradesmen Bank v. Patterson. My god how the hell am I going to write a coherent essay on this shit.
That's how I'm feeling about contracts. The general concepts are easy to understand/digest, but the prof keeps going on and on about philosophers and theories, both of which have always been my worst enemies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”